• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2012 edited
    Steven wrote
    Terra Nova Brian Tyler

I'm surprised at how good this is! Certainly the most interesting thing I've heard from Tyler for quite a while.

Brian is a very Good composer,I firmly believe that. The few times that they let him get out of the stereotype (not that there is anything wrong with Tyler's stereotype and me wink) do showcase the fact.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. I'd rather call him a good *arranger*. He's far from a brilliant melodic writer for me to call him a good *composer* in that particular genre of film music.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. And off we go again! wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2012
    So Herrmann wasn't a good composer? cool
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  3. Well, this is my major problem with dubbing him a great talent. If he wrote better melodies, gave more space in his arrangements (Tyler tends to throw everything including the kitchen sink into the mix, rather than carefully thinking through where the sections could go), released shorter albums and had a deeper understanding of intrinsic emotions (Columbus Circle could have been much better had he not combined something far more subtle than his usual stuff with very heavy, albeit with a bit smaller arrangement, action music, just gets somehow incoherent in that action track) than he has, then I would agree with all the praise.
  4. Scribe wrote

Herrmann was brilliant, but he rarely needed a huge melody (which in case of mindless action music is basically a must) and he was far more avant-garde than whatever Tyler did in his life.
  5. But Matt, Goldsmith would have agreed with you. :mrgreen:

About Tyler, arrangement and album-wise Expendables 2 was a step in the very right direction.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2012
    Scribe wrote

No. He was a GENIUS composer.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    PawelStroinski wrote
    About Tyler, arrangement and album-wise Expendables 2 was a step in the very right direction.

If you think so then I hope you will listen to disc 1 of Terra Nova...its even better IMO
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote
    I listened to Thomas Newman's SKYFALL again earlier, I quite like it but it's not a great Bond score, in fact it's not a great JASON BOURNE score either which is what it mostly sounds like. I think a lot of the possitive reactions it's had are due to Newman doing an action score, to me the action parts sound very generic, in fact it's all rather "bitty" with no real hooks to sink your teeth into.

I'll take Arnold coming back to Bond over Newman anyday.

+1

Your post is true to me.
  6. Coming home from work, I found two new aquisitions in the mail:

"Hang 'em High" (LLL) by Dominic Frontier
    This peculiar western of 1968 was directed by Ted Post, but it is the main star, Clint Eastwood, who was actually in command. This film is a big homage to Sergio Leone, bascally it's a spaghetti western made in the US. The fantastic score by Dominic Frontier owes a lot to Ennio Morricone but is also a great score in its own right.
    The main theme is one of my oldest love affairs in film music. For whatever reason, though, it never occurred to me to look for a CD release of the score. Fact is, that LLL has done one but it is sold out there. I was lucky enaugh to obtain it from my German vendor for a regulat price. It seems, I got the last copy he had in store.

"Mutiny on the Bounty" (FSM) by Bronislau Kaper
    I just love that film (1962)! I just love everything about it! This is David Lean with water instead of sand. Lewis Milestone really did one of the great ones here! The score by Kaper carries the torch of epic symphonic film scoring into the 60s, his sweeping score is up there with "Gone with the Wind" and "Dr. Zhivago". So glad to own this outstanding release!

Cheers!
    Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Lincoln - John Williams

I like this version of John Williams, the Americana-humble-nobility sound. I don't care for the folksy, fiddle, jig stuff, or even the choral piece. Everything else though, is excellent to my ears, especially whenever the piano appears. Great for fore/background listening.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote

I like this version of John Williams, the Americana-humble-nobility sound. I don't care for the folksy, fiddle, jig stuff, or even the choral piece. Everything else though, is excellent to my ears, especially whenever the piano appears. Great for fore/background listening.

Agree!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Demetris wrote
    lp wrote

Agree!

+1

Your post is true to me.

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2012 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Coming home from work, I found two new aquisitions in the mail:

This peculiar western of 1968 was directed by Ted Post, but it is the main star, Clint Eastwood, who was actually in command. This film is a big homage to Sergio Leone, bascally it's a spaghetti western made in the US. The fantastic score by Dominic Frontier owes a lot to Ennio Morricone but is also a great score in its own right.
    The main theme is one of my oldest love affairs in film music. For whatever reason, though, it never occurred to me to look for a CD release of the score. Fact is, that LLL has done one but it is sold out there. I was lucky enaugh to obtain it from my German vendor for a regulat price. It seems, I got the last copy he had in store.

The gem on that album, however, is The Aviator. IMO, it's a 5 star score all around.

Captain Future wrote
    I just love that film (1962)! I just love everything about it! This is David Lean with water instead of sand. Lewis Milestone really did one of the great ones here! The score by Kaper carries the torch of epic symphonic film scoring into the 60s, his sweeping score is up there with "Gone with the Wind" and "Dr. Zhivago". So glad to own this outstanding release!

You know what... I saw this movie a few months ago... loved it, and I've been praising the score for years but now that I've heard the score in context I felt that parts of the film were terribly over scored... especially the "Outrigger Chase" which was inappropriately over the top and didn't match the action on screen whatsoever! My top 10 scores of all time hasn't changed in years and Mutiny WAS on that list but after seeing the film James Newton Howard's Signs has moved into the top 10 while Mutiny has unfortunately dropped out! It's still in my top 20 but it's no longer top 10 material.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: The Pirates of the Caribbean Suite - Hans Zimmer

EXCELLENCE! Most of the suites are for the AWE movie, and they demonstrate so much awesomeness that I'm immediately saddened by the lack of complete score release for this trilogy.
  7. Jerry Goldsmith - Tora! Tora! Tora!

Felt like listening to it for a little while now, I seem a Jerry Goldsmith period is coming to me, which is pretty cool.

This is an amazing suspense score, the devilish intelligence of Jerry is coming through so well here, one of my personal favourites by the composer. With an amazing theme.

The FSM release was sold out before I've even heard anything of this score. I was so glad of the La La Land reissue.
  8. Erik Woods wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Coming home from work, I found two new aquisitions in the mail:

The gem on that album, however, is The Aviator. IMO, it's a 5 star score all around.

I didn't listen to it yet and I never saw that film. Was that DiCaprio film a remake of that one?

Captain Future wrote

You know what... I saw this movie a few months ago... loved it, and I've been praising the score for years but now that I've heard the score in context I felt that parts of the film were terribly over scored... especially the "Outrigger Chase" which was inappropriately over the top and didn't match the action on screen whatsoever! My top 10 scores of all time hasn't changed in years and Mutiny WAS on that list but after seeing the film James Newton Howard's Signs has moved into the top 10 while Mutiny has unfortunately dropped out! It's still in my top 20 but it's no longer top 10 material.

-Erik-

I haven't seen the film in a while. I will pay attanetion to that scene next time.
  9. PS to "Mutiny on the Bounty"

It puzzeld me, that on a compilation of *German* film music the theme from "Mutiny on the Bounty" (1935!) is credited to German composer Walter Jurmann. The score is usually credited to Herbert Stothard. Sometimes Bronislau Kaper and Walter Jurmann are credited for one song respectively. Some forther investigation suggests that the main theme was indeed co-authered by Kaper and Jurmann, with Stothard having no part in it.
    Kaper would later use the very same theme for the 1962 remake.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2012 edited
    TROIS COULEURS: BLUE | zbignieuw preisner

The Song for the Unification of Europe is quite an interesting title these days. slant biggrin What a fantastic piece though. Takes your breath right away and the score keeps hold of you until the reprise of this piece sets in at the end. The Van Budenmayer music (which is just a nickname for Zbignieuw) is also very impressive.

What a score. What a great set of scores.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2012
    yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2012
    Bregt wrote
    TROIS COULEURS: BLUE | zbignieuw preisner

The Song for the Unification of Europe is quite an interesting title these days. slant biggrin What a fantastic piece though. Takes your breath right away and the score keeps hold of you until the reprise of this piece sets in at the end. The Van Budenmayer music (which is just a nickname for Zbignieuw) is also very impressive.

What a score. What a great set of scores.

Isn't it even funnier dear Bregt, that the song for the unification of Europe has Greek lyrics ? wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Oh the irony biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Oh daar. applause
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: The Water Horse: Legend Of The Deep - James Newton Howard

Lovely score. Beautiful themes and the action material in the final pieces is fantastic.

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : RANSOM - Jerry Goldsmith

Very enjoyable. I think the score is an indication of how a Jerry Goldsmith Bond score would have sounded.
  10. I have never heard this one Tim.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2012 edited
    Here's a taster Alan...

COURSE OF ACTION / JUST SIT TIGHT
  11. Amazing Spider-Man - James Horner

What impresses me the most about this score is that there's a great deal of heart and innocence in it, unlike most superhero scores of today.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    So true Kevin. I've really grown to appreciate what Horner has done with this score after watching the film a few times now. It's been years since I've been impressed by a modern super-hero score, till this came along!