• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I find the main theme rather annoying for some reason. But there are a couple of stark dissonant piano chords (can't recall track at the moment) that come straight out of the blue that stopped me in my tracks the first time I heard them. Completely unexpected and I wish he had been as surprising with the rest.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. You're probably referring to "Saving New York." I don't know another famous composer who uses piano to score an otherwise chaotic action scene.
  3. Atham wrote
    So true Kevin. I've really grown to appreciate what Horner has done with this score after watching the film a few times now. It's been years since I've been impressed by a modern super-hero score, till this came along!

Seriously, some of the romance cues like "Rooftop Kiss" and the last minute or so of "The Equation" bring to mind The Rocketeer, the only other superhero score that Horner has done and a score that was more or less all heart.
  4. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    You're probably referring to "Saving New York." I don't know another famous composer who uses piano to score an otherwise chaotic action scene.

That's the one. Thanks!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2012 edited
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Amazing Spider-Man - James Horner

What impresses me the most about this score is that there's a great deal of heart and innocence in it, unlike most superhero scores of today.

Saw the film last night. I still LOVE the big heroic theme and the last cue heard in the film is down right incredible! And the Spider-Man looked a lot more natural and realistic in this film swinging from building to building (or crane to crane.) Unfortunately, I thought he Horner blew it with the Lizard/Spider-Man fight in the school. Also, that twinkling piano pissed me and my wife off for roughly 2 hours. The film itself was deathly boring for the most part, however, Andrew Garfield is the perfect Peter Parker.

I really miss Raimi's superior direction and pacing and Elfman's scores for the two original films obliterates Horner's by a country mile!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. I think the one thing this Spider-Man has over Raimi's trilogy is the romance between the two leads (Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone have superb chemistry), which is probably why "I Can't See You Anymore" is especially moving (I wish Horner would ease up on the spoiler-ish track titles).

Honestly, the Lizard is kind of an afterthought in my book.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2012
    I agree that the chemistry between Garfield and Stone was far superior over Snaggletooth and Tobey Maguire.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kirsten Dunst is a snaggletooth? dizzy biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. I think she's pretty hot. Check her out in Lars von Trier's Melancholia if you don't believe me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote

http://www.fitsnews.com/wp-content/uplo … ressed.jpg

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Erik Woods wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

What impresses me the most about this score is that there's a great deal of heart and innocence in it, unlike most superhero scores of today.

Saw the film last night. I still LOVE the big heroic theme and the last cue heard in the film is down right incredible! And the Spider-Man looked a lot more natural and realistic in this film swinging from building to building (or crane to crane.) Unfortunately, I thought he Horner blew it with the Lizard/Spider-Man fight in the school. Also, that twinkling piano pissed me and my wife off for roughly 2 hours. The film itself was deathly boring for the most part, however, Andrew Garfield is the perfect Peter Parker.

I really miss Raimi's superior direction and pacing and Elfman's scores for the two original films obliterates Horner's by a country mile!

-Erik-

I get what you're saying about all the piano etc. But I completely disagree with the film being "deathly boring"! I was completely drawn in by the characters of Peter and Gwen. Didn't care about there being any action or not really. I just enjoyed the slowly unfolding story. The Lizard itself was so so but passable.
    And most of the school action scoring was pretty good I thought.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

Absolutely love it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    I agree that the chemistry between Garfield and Stone was far superior over Snaggletooth and Tobey Maguire.

-Erik-

Hahaha don't like her at all either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    CLING MANSELL - last night

Lovely piano album for late night listening sessions.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

http://www.fitsnews.com/wp-content/uplo … ressed.jpg

-Erik-

biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

-Erik-

Given that the High School fight didn't really exist until late in the game, after major story changes, I'm amazed that the score worked as well as it did. Not saying much though, BTW, since I still don't care very much for Horner's score or much of the movie, minus the core Gwen/Peter relation and Emma Stone. Andrew Garfield is very good as Peter Parker and he would have been oh so perfect in the Raimi version too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I didn't like Raimi's innocent approach...too american and naive imo wink The new approach is more down to earth and more character-centric which is always a good thing for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Demetris wrote
    I didn't like Raimi's innocent approach...too american and naive imo wink The new approach is more down to earth and more character-centric which is always a good thing for me.

I'm not sure if the new approach is more down to earth or more character centric, because, aside from the Gwen/Peter story, most of the other characters' story do not work for me and felt more contrived. I do prefer how Raimi stayed more true to the original story while making it updated. This allowed for the Marc Webb version to take a more "Smallville", let's-make-a-new-origin approach to the Spiderman story.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2012 edited
    NP: Black Hawk Down - Hans Zimmer

It's a revolutionary score for every modern war movies that came after. If only the album could have let me hear more of it.
  7. Revolutionary Road - Thomas Newman

As engaging as his Bond score is, Newman will always be the king of the domestic drama.
  8. Back to Skyfall (I finally downloaded it off Amazon). I really want to know what's going on during the "Deep Water" cue. It sounds like something frenzied and desperate is going on with the orchestra at full-blast and ultimately becomes deathly cold and scary with all the electronic droning. It's one of Newman's most impressive tracks of late.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2012 edited
    Go see the movie!

Or if you really want to know:

[spoiler]The baddie has Bond at gunpoint with another goon behind Bond. They are standing on a frozen lake. Bond grabs the goons machine gun and shoots the ice causing them both to fall through. A an underwater struggle ensues and Bond manages to break the guys neck. The rest of the cue I'm not going to cover.[/spoiler]
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2012
    NP: "Cleared Iranian Airspace" from Argo by Desplat

Murica!!! biggrin

Actually, its a nice piece of music though, and the whole score is entertaining, with stunning recording clarity.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  9. NP: The Hobbit - Howard Shore

The journey continues!

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=35757
  10. It doesn't seem to work for me, do you know why, mayhaps?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  11. PawelStroinski wrote
    It doesn't seem to work for me, do you know why, mayhaps?

It may be a geographic restriction thing? Plays fine for me. Both "My Dear Frodo" and "Old Friends" has certainly announced the return of The Shire!
  12. Re: The Hobbit on the Empire page. DON'T inadvertently navigate away from the page (like I just did). Because if you do, then you have to start from the beginning again. Luckily it was only after 2 tracks.

rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    So far Shore's score is just flaoting along without doing anything particularly interesting... slant

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Hobbit - Howard Shore

The journey continues!

thanks for the link!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Hobbit - Howard Shore

The journey continues!

I'll be particularly interested to hear your opinion on the score Alan. Personally I want to wait to buy the CD but, big BUT, I might weaken on this shame