• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2012
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: KONGEN AV BASTØY (Johan Söderqvist)

Beautiful textures, as always.

A new score?

No, you may know it better by its English title KING OF DEVIL'S ISLAND from 2010.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ah, yeah! And a very nice movie too, have you seen it?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Ah, yeah! And a very nice movie too, have you seen it?

Of course. It's one of the better Norwegian films in later years.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Atham wrote
    NP: Rise of the Guardians - Desplat

I've read both the praises and the not so impressed reviews from everywhere.
    Now that I've finally heard it I'll have to say I'm in the former camp.
    I'm pretty bowled over really. Great "old fashioned" scoring that's engaging from start to finish!
    Hugely impressive!

I expect it to grow on my with repeated listens, it was just too much in-your-face fanfare for me the first time around.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HEIL, KLIMEK and TYKWER - Cloud Atlas

Gets even better everytime i pop it in; has some mindblowing pieces in it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    HEIL, KLIMEK and TYKWER - Cloud Atlas

Gets even better everytime i pop it in; has some mindblowing pieces in it.

This is a must buy CD for me, I'm very impressed with what I've heard.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You will love it!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I believe I will.

NP : KING KONG - John Barry

I've said enough about this one elsewhere on this thread. Still loving it! love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Just came back from seeing Lincoln. Williams' score sounds very noble and very reverential, but not terribly memorable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2012
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Just came back from seeing Lincoln. Williams' score sounds very noble and very reverential, but not terribly memorable.

Oh, the main Lincoln theme, "With Malice to None" is very memorable to me. Very classy, reverential and folksy in the best way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Just came back from seeing Lincoln. Williams' score sounds very noble and very reverential, but not terribly memorable.

The movie? how is it?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

The movie? how is it?

Bloke grows a big pair of pork chops on his face, abolishes slavery then gets shot dead while watching some actors, the end.
  2. I liked the movie a lot overall. It was good and wholesome. I like how Spielberg managed to be reverential of the President but not overly fawning, which is very tempting in today's political landscape. Day-Lewis is typically great, but I especially enjoyed Sally Field and Tommy Lee Jones. Overall good job.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SPARTACUS - Alex North

The best film and score about Gladiators ever. wink

I love this score, superbly complex and something for the ol' grey matter to get to grips with, oh, and the love theme is one of the most gobsmackingly beautiful and heartbreaking ever written.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

The movie? how is it?

Bloke grows a big pair of pork chops on his face, abolishes slavery then gets shot dead while watching some actors, the end.

And for the score, Williams does noble yet soporific Americana for the 957th time. The last cues on the album are great, but it's a hard slog getting there.
  3. NP: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Howard Shore

Two things struck me when listening to this. Firstly, it sounds like this film is going to be quite a wordy film - as suggested by all the meandering passages, and secondly, it would have taken an album producer some skill to fashion a 50 minute album of the same quality (and perhaps interest) as the original trilogy albums.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2012
    lol

You slay me, Alan! We have to get together for a drink or six one of these days!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's Hobbit: An unexpected nap wink
  4. This doesn't bode well for the movie. Shore's music made the original trilogy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    This doesn't bode well for the movie. Shore's music made the original trilogy.

Really? dizzy

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. It was one of the reasons they were good at least.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Yes, one of the reasons but not THE reason.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The scores were fantastic IMO but yes, not the only reason that made the films good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2012 edited
    NP: Rise of the Guardians - Alexandre Desplat

2nd listen, I like it better already.
    Solidifies the idea that Desplat would be a good Star Wars composer; at least if they are looking for a musical style similar to the prequel trilogy. Not sure Desplat is capable of coming up with sweeping melodies like the OT had. He did do a pretty good job with that in New Moon and Golden Compass, so I'd give him a shot, he's definitely my #1 choice.
  6. Desplat doing Star Wars? I wouldn't oppose that.
  7. The thing is, for me, a Star Wars film really needs a John Williams score or at least a score that features themes by John Williams. Call me a traditionalist but, I've not seen any of the spin-off shows based in the Star Wars universe so Star Wars is John Williams.

BTW, did anyone else read today that Carrie Fisher has agreed to sign on to the next Star Wars film? Surely not.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    BTW, did anyone else read today that Carrie Fisher has agreed to sign on to the next Star Wars film? Surely not.

She told a fan that she was doing it, but her agent issued a statement that it was a joke. Which probably means she's doing it but nothing has been signed yet. I'll be very happy if all of the big 3 return. I'm sure they can get back in shape.
  8. NL:

E,L & P: Pictures at an Exhibition
    Eloy: Dawn
    The Moody Blues: For our Children's Children's Children

My new personal edit of "Star Wars I The Phantom Menace" - Excerpts

Today in the mail: "Rise of the Guardians" (Desplat).

To lazy for new material today and I am in Rock mood. I will proceed to Pink Floyd and Barclay James Harvest, probably.

Cheers!
    Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Scribe wrote
    NP: Rise of the Guardians - Alexandre Desplat

2nd listen, I like it better already.
    Solidifies the idea that Desplat would be a good Star Wars composer; at least if they are looking for a musical style similar to the prequel trilogy. Not sure Desplat is capable of coming up with sweeping melodies like the OT had. He did do a pretty good job with that in New Moon and Golden Compass, so I'd give him a shot, he's definitely my #1 choice.

Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Desplat doing Star Wars? I wouldn't oppose that.

I wouldn't care very much for such a cold composer. Nope, never had much of a good feeling toward this Frenchman.

I would love to hear a David Arnold take on Star Wars though.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    NL:

E,L & P: Pictures at an Exhibition
    Eloy: Dawn
    The Moody Blues: For our Children's Children's Children

My new personal edit of "Star Wars I The Phantom Menace" - Excerpts

Today in the mail: "Rise of the Guardians" (Desplat).

To lazy for new material today and I am in Rock mood. I will proceed to Pink Floyd and Barclay James Harvest, probably.

Cheers!
    Volker

Hey Captain, we have an 'Off Topic Now Playing', it'll be great to see you post there. smile