• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2012
    Demetris wrote
    I do? Edgy electronic scores? Hmm...like which?

I seem to remember that you like HANNA by The Chemical Brothers and some of Cliff Martinez' & Clint Mansell's output, for example?! Daft Punk's TRON?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I adored those! And still do but there's no relation with Bt's noise.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Thor wrote
    I do think his gritty work on MONSTER is the best so far, though.

Some of BT's music on Monster is quite beautiful.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote

I love that score to death!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2012 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote

I agree! Superb and very disturbing film too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    The Amazing Spider-Man - James Horner

Watching the (uneven) film has helped me appreciate this score more. I still think the album is about twenty minutes too long (common for Horner releases) but a lot of the action material is very good and I like the themes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    QUO VADIS - Miklos Rozsa Conducted by Nic Raine

Stunning, STUNNING, STUNNING!!! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DAVID SARDY - End of Watch (2012)

Thor, you'll love this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Atham wrote
    QUO VADIS - Miklos Rozsa Conducted by Nic Raine

Stunning, STUNNING, STUNNING!!! cool

Make sure you also listen to his beautiful string-quartet score for Total Eclipse.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    That Quo Vadis was composed by Jan AP. Kaczmarek Demetris. wink

I know that Rozsa's version does use more then a quartet! biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote

Ah! Put the composer's names in BOLD next time! smile But you see the thing is that Kaczmarek's QUO VADIS is full orchestra, not just string quartet wink Total Eclipse is with a quartet.

Anyway, whilst we are at it, Atham, listen to Kaczmarek's Quo Vadis too, it is different but stunning too smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It was more than clear enough D. I agree on Kaczmarek's version, it's very good.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I would never have thought Total Recall was performed by a quartet.
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Even compared to the stuff today Chain Reaction still isn't a good score.

-Erik-

ohhhh, for me it's more than decent Goldsmith material, give it over any other mediocre attempt today

It's one of those meh Goldsmith actioners that just doesn't sit well with me. It sounded like Goldsmith was bored with what he was writing.

-Erik-

I thought that too when I heard it back then, but now and knowing how much crud we're hearing today, I appreciate it all the more
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Demetris wrote
    Bregt wrote

Ah! Put the composer's names in BOLD next time! smile But you see the thing is that Kaczmarek's QUO VADIS is full orchestra, not just string quartet wink Total Eclipse is with a quartet.

Anyway, whilst we are at it, Atham, listen to Kaczmarek's Quo Vadis too, it is different but stunning too smile

OK. I'll have to check it out. Sounds promising!
  3. Today in the mail:

"Star Trek: Generations" (Dennis McCarthy) remastered and expanded. I love this score, I think it's highly underrated. McCarthy really delivers. Some say it sounds like an episode score. I don't agree. It does sound like McCarthy, but what do you expect? He successfully transcents his style to the big screen. The sound has been vastly improved for this release.
    I also like the film, though the screenplay is a nightmare. The general idea is great and many scenes are teriffic. The screenplay though would have needed a serious rewrite. Sad, that Leonard Nimoy did not get the chance to work on the script and direct the film. His cameo would have been welcome, too.

Also in the mail:

"Dirty Harry Anthology" by Lalo Schifrin. I am not a jazzman. Jazz generally eludes me. So I am not the biggest fan of these "Dirty Harry" scores. It is iconic film music nevertheless and this budget priced sampler seems to give a good overview. So I added it to my collection.

So this is what I will be listening to, tonight.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Wrath of the Titans - Javier Navarrete

Coming back to this score after a long time and what a mistake it was. It's such a chore to listen to. The main theme is boring, and yet it kept being referenced again and again and again. AND AGAIN! The orchestral parts sound busy enough but lacks any charm. If all you want is an orchestral sequel to the Ramin Djawadi score, you have it in spade, but it doesn't offer anything new or substantively better than Ramin's score. The Jonathan Liebesman movie wasn't anything memorable anyway, so I guess it kinda goes with the territory.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Crimson Tide - Hans Zimmer

An oldie but a goodie. I could always count on this score to be a good background/work listening experience. The expanded version has a really good sound quality. I'd enjoy an official release of this. Please, do it, LLLR?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2012 edited
    NP : RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK - John Williams

Needed a bit of spirit raising so what better than a bit of nostalgic excellence and one of the all time great scores to boot, wonderful! punk

though weather wise Goldsmith's THE OMEN ( Killer Storm ) would be more apt wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2012 edited
    Timmer wrote
    NP : RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK - John Williams

Needed a bit of spirit raising so what better than a bit of nostalgic excellence and one of the all time great scores to boot, wonderful! punk

though weather wise Goldsmith's THE OMEN ( Killer Storm ) would be more apt wink

But then Miracle of The Ark happens and it fits....

'IT'S BEAUTIFUL!' :melt:
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2012
    :whip:
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2012
    A Very Eureka Christmas - Bear McCreary

This is a lot of fun. As usual with McCreary's work, it's very polished, very catchy and done with the highest of production values.
  4. Didn't like Bear's stuff on this album much at all.

I'm random-shuffling TV themes at the moment: The Killing, North and South, All Creatures Great and Small, Superstars, Starsky and Hutch (Season 3) so far.

It is my life in musical form!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2012
    NP: Life Of Pi - Mychael Danna

First listen...

shocked
  5. I haven't listened to much Danna. I know he did Ang Lee's other films The Ice Storm and Ride With the Devil. The latter was a real barnstormer (almost literally if you saw the film) and the former was a heartbreaker.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Enemy Mine - Maurice Jarre

Bit of a mixed bag that will surely irritate some.
    But when it's good it's freaking GOOD!!! cool
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    The Fellowship of the Ring - Howard Shore

After being disappointed by the rambling Hobbit stream, this hits the spot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2012
    The Hobbit Howard Shore

There's a pretty strong album hidden somewhere in here. The bits that are good are rather good indeed, I think.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2012
    The Hobbit Howard Shore

There's a pretty strong album hidden somewhere in here. The bits that are good are rather good indeed, I think.

It's frustrating because there are isolated chunks that are terrific (the opening, the finale, some of the mid-movie action cues) but it's surrounded by a lot of music that doesn't seem to go anywhere. To make it even more frustrating, like the complete recordings, the cues have been merged into gigantic tracks which make it difficult to make a good playlist.
  6. "Rise of the Guardians": A delightfull score by A. Desplat, right up there with "Copernicus' Star" or "How to Train your Dragon". Great Fun!

"Ratatouille" by M. Ciacchino. Finally came round to buy that much acclaimed score. No regrets here! One of the finest things by Giacchino indeed. Makes a bit more relaxed about the idea of him scoring "Star Wars".

And my latest addition, that just arrived with the mail:
    "Local Hero" by Mark Knopfler.
    During the first halve of the 80s there was a wave of scores written or co-written by pop stars. (ToTo/Dune; Highlander/Queen; Flash Gordon/Queen; The Killing Fields/Mike Oldfield ...) Since I am a sucker for Knopfler's sound and since I heard the Main Theme on the radio a few days ago, I just had to have this.

Cheers!
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.