• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2012
    Steven wrote
    The Hobbit Howard Shore

There's a pretty strong album hidden somewhere in here. The bits that are good are rather good indeed, I think.

I've heard only small clips of this score, so I've only heard of what you describe above (the longness of it all), because I want to wait till I have the album to hear it, but I'm still intending to buy the longer, deluxe edition. The question will be: do the extra pieces of music liven it up with new spectacular music, or better thematic constructs, of will they slow it down even more? I guess no-one has heard that deluxe version yet?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: FRANKENWEENIE (Danny Elfman)

It's got pieces of everything -- a little bit of old Elfman (there's one theme that reminds me of BATMAN), a little bit of his more dense, contrapuntal style, a little bit of the contemporary Glass style. It was not an immediate hit, but it's growing on me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    It's a great album Local Hero. I feel very nostalgic when I play it now, getting flung back to the early eighties.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    "Rise of the Guardians": A delightfull score by A. Desplat, right up there with "Copernicus' Star" or "How to Train your Dragon". Great Fun!

It's good but not THAT good!

Captain Future wrote
    "Ratatouille" by M. Ciacchino. Finally came round to buy that much acclaimed score. No regrets here! One of the finest things by Giacchino indeed. Makes a bit more relaxed about the idea of him scoring "Star Wars".

IMO, it's his best film score.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Atham wrote
    It's a great album Local Hero. I feel very nostalgic when I play it now, getting flung back to the early eighties.

I do like the theme, but like you, the sound of the whole album is just too nostalgic for me (and it doesnn't help that I can only take Knopfler's rather meandering compositions in small doses).

Erik Woods wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    "Ratatouille" by M. Ciacchino. Finally came round to buy that much acclaimed score. No regrets here! One of the finest things by Giacchino indeed. Makes a bit more relaxed about the idea of him scoring "Star Wars".

I still prefer The Incredibles, but I won't argue against the case that Ratatouille is a lovely score!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : NIXON - John Williams

Just excellent!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : NIXON - John Williams

Just excellent!

I just realised that this film also featured Larry Hagman.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Red Dawn - Ramin Djawadi

In the old-school Media Ventures style rather than the newer Remote Control stuff. An absolute load of shite.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Captain Future wrote

-Erik-

Me too (but Super 8 runs it close).
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Star Trek Generations - Dennis McCarthy

While obviously not up to the quality of the best scores in this franchise, I think McCarthy's work often gets a bad rap. His themes and motifs here are very good and the action music is appropriately exciting. Listening to the complete edition, I don't find the added cues essential but it's nice to have them. I'll probably return to the second disc (the original album) more often.
  1. Josh B wrote
    Star Trek Generations - Dennis McCarthy

While obviously not up to the quality of the best scores in this franchise, I think McCarthy's work often gets a bad rap. His themes and motifs here are very good and the action music is appropriately exciting. Listening to the complete edition, I don't find the added cues essential but it's nice to have them. I'll probably return to the second disc (the original album) more often.

Well, if you ever find you prefer the original CD (Assuming you have the old GNP one) and want to part with this one in trade...

;-)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2012
    Southall wrote
    Red Dawn - Ramin Djawadi

In the old-school Media Ventures style rather than the newer Remote Control stuff. An absolute load of shite.

Hmm, that sounds like it might be fun, in a twisted sort of way wink
    We'll find out once I listen to it, lol
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2012 edited
    Southall wrote
    Red Dawn - Ramin Djawadi

But you don't like........Can you clarify the differences?
  2. For Greater Glory - James Horner

It may be a bit overfamiliar (it's basically The Four Feathers mixed with a little Zorro and Braveheart) but I still enjoyed it. No one working in film writes music this grand and outwardly emotional nowadays. I especially liked the opening and closing tracks.
  3. Okay it's actually really starting to grow on me now. And I nominate Track 7 as the Best Track Title Ever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Informant - Marvin Hamlisch

Now this is really good. One of my most-played soundtrack albums of the last few years.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    The Informant - Marvin Hamlisch

Now this is really good. One of my most-played soundtrack albums of the last few years.

I agree and I think it may have been you who recommended it to me?
  4. 117 tracks into my 304 favourite TV themes playlist and the theme heard in the track "Sherlocked" from the second series of Sherlock is one of the greatest of recent TV.

Though David Arnold wouldn't say whether it was his or Michael Price's creation.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2012
    NP: The Fury (The Deluxe Edition) - John Williams

Just discovered this last night. An obscure gem of a score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    It's great isn't it! Classic Williams! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    William wrote

It isn't that obscure, but it definitely is a gem! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    William wrote

Good to see you still posting William smile And yes, great score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Rise of the Guardians Alexandre Desplat

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I'll have a smoke with you on that one Steven! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    WP: Starship Troopers Basil Poledouris

While listening to this last night, my girlfriend said what a great score this would be for Captain America. I'm inclined to agree!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    WP: Starship Troopers Basil Poledouris

While listening to this last night, my girlfriend said what a great score this would be for Captain America. I'm inclined to agree!

Oh, visionary! I agree too punk
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Tower Heist - Christophe Beck

Saw the movie yesterday. While it wasn't funny considering I thought it was trying to be a comedy it was still very entertaining. And the score is great!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I recently watched the film om Sky Anytime, and it was... alright. But I agree, the score is really good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    Oh only 90 dollarcents on amazon!

*click*
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I've not played this for years...

NP : SILK ROAD - Kitaro

A taster - HEAVENLY FATHER