• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2012 edited
    This is basically to Erik and others who host film music podcasts.

Since the domain of my longrunning site www.celluloidtunes.net expired today -- and has already been bought up by a domain horder -- I'm thinking about rebooting completely and just creating a site/blog thingie with the first ever Norwegian film music podcast. Maybe I'll stick with the Celluloid Tunes moniker (just add .no instead of .com or .net), although the 'celluloid' aspect is getting outdated in this digital age. It's also a money question, since domains cost money!

So.....I need some tips:

1. What program do you use to sound edit? Audacity?
    2. What kind of microphone would I need to get proper voice recording? Does a Skype headset suffice?
    3. Since voice recording is usually mono, Audacity won't import it into a stereo file (i.e. a clip from a soundtrack). Solutions?
    4. How much work, time-wise, is in the creation of a program of, let's say, 30 minutes?
    5. How do I make smooth fadeins and fadeouts in Audacity? I've tried fooling around, but they all seem to be very 'sudden'.

I'm sure I'll think of more, but that's just off the top of my mind.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I think that this will be of general interest.

I bought a ProSound A99JB microphone for the still upcoming show I was going to do for Erik. Any other mic just sounded bad.

I used the ProSound mic to Skype with Erik once, so you will need to ask him how it sounded!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    In Montages, we also have a dictaphone (the same one I used to interview James Newton Howard and Elliot Goldenthal) and it records a voice well if you're close enough to it. Maybe it's possible to create a sound file with all the voice there, then import it to Audacity, then chop it up and put it inbetween the music clips etc.

I should buy my own dictaphone, though. Maybe it's cheaper than buying an expensive microphone.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I seem to remember that any conversion degrades the sound quality and so should be kept to a minimum. I am not too familiar with Audacity to know whether the bitrate is high enough for the job for podcasting.

But I would imagine that Erik is best placed to give you some solid advice.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    So.....I need some tips:

1. What program do you use to sound edit? Audacity?

Audacity is fine. It's free and does a lot of what the more expensive audio program can do. Personally, I have Adobe Audition. It just has more bells and whistles.

Thor wrote
    2. What kind of microphone would I need to get proper voice recording? Does a Skype headset suffice?

I would get something more professional than a Skype head set. A podcast kit will work great. Something like THIS or THIS. Don't cheap out on your microphone

Thor wrote
    3. Since voice recording is usually mono, Audacity won't import it into a stereo file (i.e. a clip from a soundtrack). Solutions?

Record your voice onto a stereo track.

Thor wrote
    4. How much work, time-wise, is in the creation of a program of, let's say, 30 minutes?

It all depends on how much you actually WANT to spend on it. Writing scripts, recording voice, editing, encoding, uploading, RSS feed, updating your web page, promotion, etc.

Thor wrote
    5. How do I make smooth fadeins and fadeouts in Audacity? I've tried fooling around, but they all seem to be very 'sudden'.

I don't use Audacity but I'm sure you can find how to videos on YouTube... like THIS one. YouTube and Google are your friend.

Also, if you are creating a Podcast and want it upload to iTunes and whatnot you might want to read THIS.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2012
    Thank you. I know I have to fiddle around in Audacity to get the grasp of things myself, and then I'll just post questions in the 'sound recording' thread we have here if I encounter anything insurmountable.

That podcast kit looks great, but way beyond my wallet's capability. But nice to know what the price range is, should it be a possibility in the future.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor get

1.adobe audition
    2.zoom h1 recorder version 2

And voila smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    You guys are so 'high-end'! smile

I think I'll have to go with the 'poverty version' first. Free Audacity program for editing and then some second-hand recorder that also has something to stand on (on the table etc.).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Again, don't cheap out on the mic.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    Thor get

1.adobe audition
    2.zoom h1 recorder version 2

And voila smile

Yup, because once you do that the show produces itself. wink tongue

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Isn't that the more expensive version of Autotune? Autoproduce?

Seriously, I'd love to do one (I think I committed to something like that about three years back shame...) but speaking from (a very little bit of) experience it takes SO much time to do it right.
    sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Dood! Do a show for me at Cinematic Sound! Come on, be one of my many awesome guest hosts!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Dear Thor, you will regret it afterwards wink zoom h1 is great I've been using It for soooo long and it's only 100euros average price. Audition, well it can do everything it's really simple and you can find it via cough cough other means too wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    Dood! Do a show for me at Cinematic Sound! Come on, be one of my many awesome guest hosts!

-Erik-

I'd love to, Erik, Honestly I would. smile
    I promise: quarter 1 next year, when all the madness has died down!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2012 edited
    I also second adobe audition, or its original 'cool edit pro 2.1' software which IMO is easier and you can customize better. Adobe took it over and left out some features, but for podcast editing you can do with either version, they both have the basics. I use both versions, adobe audition on my mac, and I installed windows solely to use Cool Edit pro 2.1 smile

Definitely record digitally in stereo via usb and when you look for mics, always check if the mic requires an additional power source.

I think for a 30 minute program, depending on how many cuts or fades you need, at first it will take you couple of hours but the more experienced you get with the software, the faster it'll go. You just cut the selections you want and use the tracks to line them up in multitrack mode.

Regarding fades, adobe audition/cool edit gives you the ability to adjust a volume bar directly on the track as an external effect, so you can always go back later and boost it or lower it.

And eventhough you're editing for a podcast, try to always work in wav. That way you keep the quality and can save as an mp3 for the internet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2012 edited
    Good news!

I spent the entire day today finishing my first ever Celluloid Tunes podcast!!

It's 1 hour 12 minutes long, and the theme is simple -- my favourite Top 10 soundtracks of all time!

I chose that topic because it could give the listeners a sense of my taste, as well as providing them a chance to post their own in the comments field.

It will be published soon.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Is it in English?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2012
    No, it's in some crazy Thor language that none of us can understand! He did it like that so none of us English speaking folk can write comments on his program. wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    No, it's in Norwegian.....but I intend to have an international edition once in a while. Then you can hear my crappy English.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor - While I applaud you wanting to create an exclusive Norwegian film music radio show, I think that if you are looking for a broader audience you might think of doing a Norwegian and English show simultaneously. But maybe that's not what your publishers want. Anyway, good luck with the program and I'll have a listen even though I won't understand a word you say.

BTW, are you going to have a dedicated page for your show? If so, make sure you send me a link so I can add it to my OTHER PODCASTS & RADIO SHOW links on my site.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor - While I applaud you wanting to create an exclusive Norwegian film music radio show, I think that if you are looking for a broader audience you might think of doing a Norwegian and English show simultaneously. But maybe that's not what your publishers want. Anyway, good luck with the program and I'll have a listen even though I won't understand a word you say.

BTW, are you going to have a dedicated page for your show? If so, make sure you send me a link so I can add it to my OTHER PODCASTS & RADIO SHOW links on my site.

-Erik-

Yeah, I know what you mean. We are a Norwegian-language site, so we don't usually have English articles (except interviews and stuff). However, if there is too low interest from my fellow Norwegians, I will definitely consider doing more podcasts in English beyond the occasional 'international edition'.

I do hope there will be a separate page at montages where you can access all the podcasts. I'll let you know when that happens. By the way, your longrunning podcast was one of my main inspirations.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2012
    I'm flattered, Thor! shocked Thank you. I wish you nothing but success with your program!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    No, it's in Norwegian.....but I intend to have an international edition once in a while. Then you can hear my crappy English.

What nonsense you talk Thunderer rolleyes

Your English is superb, I suggest you do a program for Erik's show, it'll go down a treat, believe me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2012 edited
    AAARGH! I'm trying to find a rather big photo of a recording session where you see the orchestra and the screen at the same time, but I haven't been able to find any. Preferably with John Williams.

Help, please!

If not, how on earth am I go going to get a general picture about film music that doesn't show off the actual scores I'm going to play (they are surprises in the program)? Ideas?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Whoa! Cool, thanks. My Google skills suck!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2012
    Thor, I'm wondering how you plan to deal with licensing issues - what are the costs of licensing music for podcasting in Norway?

I would love to do a film music podcast on my own website (I was similarly inspired by Erik's excellent show), but I found out that it would be totally cost-prohibitive. It would cost me more than 800 DKK/month (circa 140 USD/month, circa 87 GBP/month) to host even relatively brief podcasts containing film music on a Danish website.

I am totally for paying composers and performers for using their music in podcasts, but for a completely non-commercial site such as my own (we only spend money keeping the site going and have absolutely no income), it is just not feasible.

If the price in Denmark was about half its actual cost, I would seriously consider it, just for the fun of doing the podcasts, even though it would cost me a pretty penny. But as it is now, it's just money I don't have.
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    We're discussing that very issue in the staff right now -- since I want to play FULL tracks and not only 1-minute snippets.

My opinion is that as long as you STREAM the material (i.e. doesn't allow download), it's possible without paying for licencing. We are also a non-profit organization. The webmaster, however, claims that it's not really a podcast if you don't allow downloads (on mp3 platforms of various kinds), so I may have to call it something else. The moment I allow downloads of the podcast, I'm in fishy territory.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Mogens wrote
    I would love to do a film music podcast on my own website (I was similarly inspired by Erik's excellent show), but I found out that it would be totally cost-prohibitive. It would cost me more than 800 DKK/month (circa 140 USD/month, circa 87 GBP/month) to host even relatively brief podcasts containing film music on a Danish website.

I am totally for paying composers and performers for using their music in podcasts, but for a completely non-commercial site such as my own (we only spend money keeping the site going and have absolutely no income), it is just not feasible.

Can you host your site somewhere else? Or just do a show until someone says you have to stop.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2012 edited
    Thor wrote
    My opinion is that as long as you STREAM the material (i.e. doesn't allow download), it's possible without paying for licencing. We are also a non-profit organization. The webmaster, however, claims that it's not really a podcast if you don't allow downloads (on mp3 platforms of various kinds), so I may have to call it something else. The moment I allow downloads of the podcast, I'm in fishy territory.

Paradoxically, streaming is even more expensive under the Danish rules than podcasts for actual download! Under these rules, we'd be liable to pay over a 1000 DKK/month (173 USD/108 GBP), which, IMO, does not make much sense.

Erik Woods wrote
    Can you host your site somewhere else?

I've actually considered that, Erik! But I have to admit to be rather unsure of the various rules and laws in motion here. For instance, when running a website, would I be responsible under the law of the country where my site or podcast/stream is hosted? Nobody in Denmark, not even the copyright-organizations are doing anything to make the rules anywhere nearly transparent.

Not that I would expect them to give tips as to how to avoid paying the necessary fees. I *would*, however, expect them to make the Danish rules crystal clear and they don't even do that!

Erik Woods wrote
    Or just do a show until someone says you have to stop.

I've thought about that, too, and am still considering it. I think, if push came to shove, and I got busted, they would simply tell me to stop and remove any existing podcasts/streams and that would be that.

What I'd really prefer was if totally non-profit sites such as my own could be given some slightly more lenient financial terms. Particularly when sites such as mine would not mean a reduction in the profit of record companies which, considering that film music is very much a niche, I really don't think we would.

If anything, a good podcast/stream such as your own will motivate listeners to buy the scores that are played.

I'll put my thinking hat on again smile But thanks so much for your replies, both Thor and Erik!
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.