• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. and the nominees are known

Music Original Score

Anna Karenina Dario Marianelli

Argo Alexandre Desplat

Life of Pi Mychael Danna

Lincoln John Williams

Skyfall Thomas Newman

-----------------------

Music Original Song

"Before My Time" from Chasing Ice
    Music and Lyric by J. Ralph

"Everybody Needs A Best Friend" from Ted
    Music by Walter Murphy; Lyric by Seth MacFarlane

"Pi's Lullaby" from Life of Pi
    Music by Mychael Danna; Lyric by Bombay Jayashri

"Skyfall" from Skyfall
    Music and Lyric by Adele Adkins and Paul Epworth

"Suddenly" from Les Misérables
    Music by Claude-Michel Schönberg; Lyric by Herbert Kretzmer and Alain Boublil
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2013
    I like LINCOLN, but found SKYFALL rather boring (even though everyone here and their grandmother rave about it).

The other three, I'm still not familiar with.

In regards to LINCOLN, it's a weird dilemma for me. I want Williams to win, but on the other hand I want him to win for a score that is as worthy as his previous wins. And that's difficult since it includes such stellar scores as JAWS, STAR WARS, E.T. and SCHINDLER'S LIST (in addition to the adaptation award for FIDDLER ON THE ROOF). LINCOLN isn't quite in that company.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2013 edited
    Lincoln is fantastic. Surprised and very pleased to see Skyfall get the nomination. Argo and Anna Karenina are inoffensive, meh scores. And Life of Pi is superb. Not sure if there is a clear favourite. Solid list.

I would have liked to see The Impossible get a nomination. Replace that with Anna Karenina. Yeah, that would have been much better.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Hmm. Patriotic Americana/may-be-titan-composer's-last-big-score vs big franchise anniversary/composer-who-should-have-won-already
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. It is funny reading Twitter comments about Oscar nominations for original score. Several people again disappointed and surprised with selection.

Are there memories so short as to forget previous years?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. 'Lincoln', 'Life of Pi' and 'Skyfall' would be in my top five for sure last year so I'm pretty pleased with the list. My favourite scores were probably 'Avengers' and 'The Grey' but I didn't in a million years expect them to be nominated. Have only heard 'Argo' in the film and to be honest didn't really notice it, haven't heard 'Anna Karenina' yet either. I hope it goes to Maestro Williams!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Hmm. Patriotic Americana/may-be-titan-composer's-last-big-score vs big franchise anniversary/composer-who-should-have-won-already

Unless my memory is failing me this is only the second time a James Bond score has been nominated ( the first being Marvin Hamlisch's The Spy Who Loved Me ), I'm a little irritated ( only a 'little' because John Barry got more than a fare share of Oscars ) because John Barry never got one nomination for any of his Bond scores nor for any of the songs, IMO Barry & Hal David should have at least won for the timeless evergreen classic We Have All The Time In The World.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor said:-

'but found SKYFALL rather boring (even though everyone here and their grandmother rave about it).'

Steady Thunderer, not everyone here is raving about it, I was very underwhelmed.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    Mabey they can admit they were wrong in 1994 and give Mr. Newman his oscar for Shawshank Redemption? wink
  5. Erik raised a good point elsewhere by asking the question of what does 'Oscar worthy' actually mean?

It seems to be mostly down to personal opinion.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    francis wrote
    Mabey they can admit they were wrong in 1994 and give Mr. Newman his oscar for Shawshank Redemption? wink

I agree 100% beer

To be honest that film should have taken a pile of awards.
  6. I voted Life of Pi as the best score of last year, but I will always root for Newman and would be thrilled if he won.

Lincoln was okay.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik raised a good point elsewhere by asking the question of what does 'Oscar worthy' actually mean?

Exactly. Oscars Schmoscars. They didn't even bother to alter their Bafta lists wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik raised a good point elsewhere by asking the question of what does 'Oscar worthy' actually mean?

Exactly. Oscars Schmoscars. They didn't even bother to alter their Bafta lists wink

I always think 'schmoscars' too D but I always end up caring more than I should come Oscar time rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I managed to stop doing that 2 years ago thankfully smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    I managed to stop doing that 2 years ago thankfully smile

Damn! With me it's like an annoying eye-tick that won't go away slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'd say Argo and Skyfall have no chance of winning. Wouldn't surprise me if Lincoln wins - but I hope Life of Pi does, since it's the best score on the list.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Yeah, and Danna deserves one!

Newman too of course, but Skyfall, while perhaps my favourite of 2013, is not in the league of his previous nominated scores.
    Kazoo
  7. Five known composers are nominated for their most choose able scores. This all makes sense. Strange to be saying this but I hope desplat doesn't get it. After so many great scores it just isn't that great. Newman or Danna or marianelli for me.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Five known composers are nominated for their most choose able scores. This all makes sense. Strange to be saying this but I hope desplat doesn't get it. After so many great scores it just isn't that great. Newman or Danna or marianelli for me.

Thank You wink Danna's score was marvellous and in the film, Marianelli's is standard beautiful writing. Newman was kick ass too. Anyone of the three will be great news for me!
  8. LIFE OF PI all the way for me.

Cloud Atlas, The Impossible and John Carter would have made my Top 5, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I've been listening to LIFE OF PI a few times today, after the announcement, and I have to agree with Jon. That's the big one this year (I have a soft spot for Indian music, but this is so much more....love the LOTR-like vocals in some of the tracks).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Definitely my favourite from the list of nominees. It works beautifully in the film and makes a beautiful album.
  9. If you enjoy Indian-influenced music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2013 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    If you enjoy Indian-influenced music.

Maybe, yes (I know I do), but really only during the first half of the album. The second part is more Western in tone, with some beautiful harmonies that just glide along effortlessly.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2013
    I've also been listening to the Oscar nominee ARGO, and all I can say is..... sleep

Seriously! I've yet to hear a single Desplat score I've liked; IMO the most overrated film composer of our time.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    For once, I have no objections with all five scores nominated. I like some more than others (Lincoln is my favorite) but they're all respectable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Definitely my favourite from the list of nominees. It works beautifully in the film and makes a beautiful album.

The film is filled with breathtaking visuals (absolutely must watch in 3d though), heartfelt story, excellent directing and pace and the music is gorgeous. One of the best films i've seen in years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    If you enjoy Indian-influenced music.

It's way much more than that; make yourself a favor and watch the film, it gains so much more meaning after that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    I've also been listening to the Oscar nominee ARGO, and all I can say is..... sleep

Seriously! I've yet to hear a single Desplat score I've liked; IMO the most overrated film composer of our time.

Not even Birth, The Ghost Writer, The Tree of Life or Coco Avant Chanel? I'm not his biggest fan either but I can appreciate the man's talent. I would have also thought that The Queen, The Painted Veil and Lust, Caution would be right up your alley. confused

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!