• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. FalkirkBairn wrote
    If you enjoy Indian-influenced music.

It's not always about what you *enjoy* listening to, though, for Awards purposes. The score is perfect for the film, geographically appropriate considering its setting, has several recurring themes that interweave throughout its length, and has some massive moments of religioso power, especially in the "Tsimtsum" cue. The mix of western, Indian and French infuences directly speak to the nature of the character, and reflect one of the recurring conceptual themes in the film. For me, it's almost perfect.

Also; Thor - "I've yet to hear a single Desplat score I've liked; IMO the most overrated film composer of our time". I'm curious about which scores of his you have heard, because for me he is the best new composer to emerge in the last decade, and has written three or four ***** scores!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2013 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    I've also been listening to the Oscar nominee ARGO, and all I can say is..... sleep

Seriously! I've yet to hear a single Desplat score I've liked; IMO the most overrated film composer of our time.

Not even Birth, The Ghost Writer, The Tree of Life or Coco Avant Chanel? I'm not his biggest fan either but I can appreciate the man's talent. I would have also thought that The Queen, The Painted Veil and Lust, Caution would be right up your alley. confused

-Erik-

It's usually just a lot of 'stuffing' with little content....even those scores you mention. Nothing much to latch on to. Little melody and the textures ain't that interesting either.

I did like THE GHOST WRITER, but that was more because of the genius, sparse spotting than the actual music. THE TREE OF LIFE too, but again -- not because of Desplat's contributions.

I'm still on the lookout for that ONE score, though. It just annoys me that I keep getting disappointed time and again when everyone else raves about him. I guess I've heard about 60% of his stuff, whether on soundtrack or in the film itself.

I've never really liked Giacchino either, but I was pleasantly surprised by JOHN CARTER (regardless of the stupid film). So that's an example that it CAN happen.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2013
    Jon Broxton wrote
    I'm curious about which scores of his you have heard, because for me he is the best new composer to emerge in the last decade, and has written three or four ***** scores!

I think he is as well, but I can see why some struggle to warm to him. His (some would say) clinical approach, so carefully considered all the time, wouldn't be for everyone. Besides which, Thor has very odd tastes!
  2. Perception is such a strange thing. I've always found Desplat's music to be all content and no stuffing - each note *means* something, and is there for a reason. That's one of the reasons I love his work so much!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Oh, I'd agree with that too. Nothing from Desplat sounds like it lacks meaning for me. In fact, that's probably the one thing I'd pick about him above most others at the moment - in stark contrast to the Zimmer generation, he doesn't put music there for music's sake - everything's there for a reason.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Jon Broxton wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

It's not always about what you *enjoy* listening to, though, for Awards purposes. The score is perfect for the film, geographically appropriate considering its setting, has several recurring themes that interweave throughout its length, and has some massive moments of religioso power, especially in the "Tsimtsum" cue. The mix of western, Indian and French infuences directly speak to the nature of the character, and reflect one of the recurring conceptual themes in the film. For me, it's almost perfect.

Also; Thor - "I've yet to hear a single Desplat score I've liked; IMO the most overrated film composer of our time". I'm curious about which scores of his you have heard, because for me he is the best new composer to emerge in the last decade, and has written three or four ***** scores!

Danna's a master of mixing the West with the East. Another fine example would be his 8mm score among others. He handles Ethnomusicological elements in his compositions like only Bruno Coulais and Armand Amar can, from the major composers that is (at least those that come to mind now) wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Oh, I'd agree with that too. Nothing from Desplat sounds like it lacks meaning for me. In fact, that's probably the one thing I'd pick about him above most others at the moment - in stark contrast to the Zimmer generation, he doesn't put music there for music's sake - everything's there for a reason.

True, Thor's statement is so odd; Desplat is perhaps - from the younger generation of composers, the most FILM composer of his contemporary colleagues in the medium. His knowledge and understanding of the medium and narrative's needs are outstanding.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote

It doesn't really help that it might be there "for a reason" -- a debatable concept, anyway as a) some of the scores seem quite vacant, IMO and b) in a way, music in any film is usually there for some kind of reason. Since we're talking soundtrack ALBUMS here, I need to make an emotional connection to the music as music. Even if its purpose in the film is perfect and ripe with meaning.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Jon Broxton wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

And we are back to the "you need to see the film in order to make a meaningful assessment of the score" discussion.

I don't really enjoy listening to Indian-influenced scores and I certainly would not sit through a film that I have no interest in seeing.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Danna should win simply because of two tracks: "I'm Ready Now" and "Tsimtsum."
    •  
      CommentAuthorJon Broxton
    No, I don't think that's true. You don't need to see the film in order to make a meaningful assessment of the score, but I do think it makes a listening experience richer when you are cognizent of the reason a score was written the way it was written. You can glean that from all sorts of sources - plot summaries, reviews of the film, trailers - without having to actually sit down and watch the film.

LIKING a score or not is one thing; there are plenty of scores I don't LIKE listening to which I am fully prepared to acknowledge work wonderfully within their film and are exactly what the film required, and on those terms are completely successful. They just don't fit with my personal taste.

However, I think that when it comes to things like the Oscars, which are awarding excellence of music in a FILM context, the combination of its use in the film and its compositional excellence as a standalone piece of music need to be taken together to get a full appreciation of what the music is trying to achieve. SEEING the film isn't necessary, but knowing ABOUT the film is, for me at least.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    Thanks for the reply Jon.

I completely agree that knowing about a film/TV show/video game/etc is the least people should be doing when writing about the music. I am of the opinion that, if the composer is doing his job, then you should be able to get a level of understanding of the ideas contained within the film from the musical ideas and techniques (including themes) he uses in the score.

I am the first to admit that I am very much guided by my early impressions of music when I hear it for the first time. But, when I read peoples' enthusiasm for a particular score that I have skimmed over because of my initial opinion I will revisit it to pay it more attention.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Jon Broxton wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Danna's a master of mixing the West with the East. Another fine example would be his 8mm score among others. He handles Ethnomusicological elements in his compositions like only Bruno Coulais and Armand Amar can, from the major composers that is (at least those that come to mind now) wink

Agree and I'll add Ryuichi Sakamoto's incredible score for Liittle Buddha to that.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote
    Definitely my favourite from the list of nominees. It works beautifully in the film and makes a beautiful album.

The film is filled with breathtaking visuals (absolutely must watch in 3d though), heartfelt story, excellent directing and pace and the music is gorgeous. One of the best films i've seen in years.

I''ve seen it 3 Times already.
  6. FalkirkBairn wrote

I don't really enjoy listening to Indian-influenced scores and I certainly would not sit through a film that I have no interest in seeing.

Then perhaps voting for the Best Score of the Year is a ... questionable notion. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  7. Not really. I will be voting for this based upon my own criteria - including what I like and dislike - rather than by using other peoples' decisions on what is best or not.

And if my selections are thought of as a load of bollocks then don't worry, they will be lost in amongst other peoples' more conservative choices.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    This is why we Greeks, invented democracy, the rule of the majority. Although story proved a bitch and it backfired, slapping us on the ass! wink
  8. Erik Woods wrote
    Not even Birth, The Ghost Writer, The Tree of Life or Coco Avant Chanel? I'm not his biggest fan either but I can appreciate the man's talent. I would have also thought that The Queen, The Painted Veil and Lust, Caution would be right up your alley. confused

-Erik-

I would suggest NID DE GUEPES (THE NEST) as well. It's an entertaining action score and then unloads with this Deleruesque dirge in the final minutes.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    The persistance in the grouping of completely unrelated categories into the so-called "technical categories" only adds to the controversy of the Oscar. I've already read an article on the BBC web pages that dismissively refers to some of the nominations for Lincoln, Life of Pi, and others using that term, as though they were irrelevant to the public, or even worse: of little artistic relevance. The category of music is likely to be the most autonomous of film making diciplines. The composer collaborates with virtually every single person in a production, from the screen writers to the actors and producers and directors. On the other hand: very few work with the composer, and those that do certainly don't have enough influence to interfere with the autonimity of the work. After all, one rarely hears a listener go "ah, that's typical Herrmann - when working with Hitchcock!". What is typical Herrmann is typical Herrmann in any context. The same goes for most composers, if not all. The categorisation and treatment of the music category in many award contexts limits the art of music to its purely psychological (technical) premises, rendering the actual artistic discussion of its merits as totally irrelevant. Still, it's a pretty good PR-boost for most composers, perhaps with the exception of Williams, who would perhaps evoke far more attention if he, for once, wasn't nominated!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    John Williams must be pretty close now to having the same amount of nominations as the great Alfred Newman? It's doubtful he'll equal Newman's haul of 9 statuettes though.

EDIT: Just looked it up, Williams has overtaken Newman for the amount of nominations.

Newman - 45

Williams - 48
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Williams has more nominations than any living person. Walt Disney still holds the record.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Williams has more nominations than any living person. Walt Disney still holds the record.

-Erik-

It's hard to see anyone ever taking over Disney's haul of 26 Oscars, highly unlikely.
  9. If Williams could write award worthy songs he probably could have challenged Newman for the 9 statues.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    If Williams could write award worthy songs he probably could have challenged Newman for the 9 statues.

Indeed. Let's not forget that Alan Menken has 8 Academy Awards, 3 more than Williams, and is currently the mostwinning living person, as far as I know. And half of those Oscars were for songs.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    If Williams could write award worthy songs he probably could have challenged Newman for the 9 statues.

His songs have been nominated but never won.
  10. ... And they're not that good, really.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sad but true.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    If there was a category for safe scoring, I'd vote for Lincoln.
  11. We can't be good at everything.