• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthordjdave
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2008 edited
    Apologies if this thread has been started before, but a question has occured to me in response to posts on the Georges Delarue thread.

How often have composers used other people's work? This includes not just straightforward rip offs but being heavily influenced by another to the extent that you can tell that it's been influenced. This may be deliberate - with or without the intent to deceive - or subconscious.

Assuming it's a conscious decision, why do composers do ir?

And how often have composers re-used their own stuff? Nino Rota's The Godfather is a good example where his Oscar nomination was withdrawn after it was discovered that he'd recycled some music he'd written for a previous film.
  1. I've heard a rumor that James Horner occasionally lifts a phrase or two from others, and even from himself. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    It happens quite often, I guess, on various levels. There's self-plagiarism (notably from Horner), copying of colleagues within Remote Controll in style or themes (Transformers, for example), or just blatant copying from fellow composers (Tyler Bates got himself in trouble when copying Goldenthal's Titus for 300).

The most common reason is 'temp track love', where the film gets a temporary score from music of other composers to give the director a general idea of what the sound and style of the music is going to be. Yet the director starts to love it so much, that either the director requests the composer to write 'something just like it', or the creativity of the composer gets damages by getting used to that music to the scene.

It's a much talked about subject, actually, and there are lots of reasons for or examples of, more often rather complicated than just 'stealing music'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    There are examples with practically all composers, be they film composers or classical composers. Berlioz' "Dies irae" have been used by almost everyone since it's conception. wink Morricone loves to quote "Dies irae" and also "Für Elise" (curiously enough in many of his western scores). The difference between quotation and theft is difficult and often subjective though. I'd personally consider it the latter if the composer in question tries to pass it off as if it was his own, by changing it a little, and blatantly denying to have lifted any music from somewhere else. I mean, no one calls Rachmaninov a thief for his "Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini", or calls Corelli a hack for using a folk music tune in his "La folia". Perhaps the biggest problem with Horner is that he doesn't seem to acknowledge that he uses other people's compositions..... at least in the interviews I've seen with him thus far.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Perhaps the biggest problem with Horner is that he doesn't seem to acknowledge that he uses other people's compositions..... at least in the interviews I've seen with him thus far.

Not just that, he also criticises colleagues for doing that exact same thing, condemning their copying as among the biggest crime in composition there is (like his comment on Gabriel Yareds The English Patient), just as if he would never do such a thing. Nah, I don't really like that guy... wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2008
    Wow! My FIRST thread police alert!

Hey DJ... check out the following thread for discussion and examples of composers copying and pasting material from other scores into their own. dizzy spin

http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … and-paste/

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Yeah... but that topic is just on the actual copying and what examples there are of it. I guess this topic could be used for discussions on it; is it bad, why do they do it, 'n stuff?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    You can use the same topic as a discussion forum as well. And if you read through the thread you can see that there are discussions. I mean, the same examples are going to show up in this thread any way.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Sure, but I recall one of the conditions of the threat was not to pass judgement on the compositions, and just enjoy the similarities between the compositions and 'how many do you know?', more like trivia. So, over here, you can focus then on the discussions and criticism, or why they made those choices smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A good recent example would be Ryuichi Sakamoto's brilliant tribute to Ravel's Bolero with the track Bolerish on the score album Femme Fatale. Worth watching the film for that sequence alone cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Plagiarism is perhaps a harsh word if you're including discussions on intentionally using another composers influence (without deception)... like a tribute.

Timmer wrote
    A good recent example would be Ryuichi Sakamoto's brilliant tribute to Ravel's Bolero with the track Bolerish on the score album Femme Fatale. Worth watching the film for that sequence alone cool

Fantastic! That was one of the high points of the movie-- a brilliant heist scene! A very under-rated DePalma work.

Another example that comes to mind is JW's Harry Potter/Prisoner of Azkaban with Aunt Marge's waltz obviously influenced by Rossini's Thieving Magpie overture
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    djdave wrote
    Assuming it's a conscious decision, why do composers do ir?

Go to a piano and play something - I bet it will come out sounding like your favourite composers/musicians, because we're all influenced by the things we listen to. And no different for professional composers. (Some just happen to be better at forming their own ideas around all these influences than others.)

I speak purely from experience as anything I play on the piano is heavily influenced by my favourite composers, particularly Horner and Goldsmith. (Their styles are slightly easier to nail than Williams'. wink)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    A musician is his influences, what he listens to since day 1; an artist is what his personal database consists of. It's the most natural, logical fact of what being a creative artist is. I'd say get over it and enjoy the music instead.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Hopefully all artists bring something to the table that wasn't done better by their influences.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    we are talking about Horner?
  3. Everybody basically

And some kind of a damn curse prevents me from writing what I have to say in this thread and not only Tyler tongue
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2008
    ok please take topics like this back to that other board. Topics like this one unnerve me to know end.

sd smile
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    • CommentAuthordjdave
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2008 edited
    moonie wrote
    ok please take topics like this back to that other board. Topics like this one unnerve me to know end.

sd smile

I didn't realise that this topic would bother people or else I wouldn't have posted it. I've no desire to create tension or friction between members....if I want tension and friction I can go down to my Dad's. Sorry.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    Sorry dj its just well go spend some time at the FSM board and you will see what I mean.

sd smile

No harm No foul.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p … ;archive=0

small example....... smile
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    djdave wrote
    moonie wrote

sd smile

I didn't realise that this topic would bother people or else I wouldn't have posted it. I've no desire to create tension or friction between members....if I want tension and friction I can go down to my Dad's. Sorry.

No worries mate, no tensions around here. Just good ol' debating and expressions of honesty and such wink Cheers
    D
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthordjdave
    Christodoulides wrote
    No worries mate, no tensions around here. Just good ol' debating and expressions of honesty and such wink Cheers
    D

moonie wrote
    Sorry dj its just well go spend some time at the FSM board and you will see what I mean.

sd smile

No harm No foul.

Thanks for that, Moonie and Demetris wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    moonie wrote

Nothing wrong with the topic. It's the behaviour on that other board that's the problem.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    Lukas allows it so it runs amuck, too bad too, it could be a really great message board, but you let one jerk in and they grow.

sd smile

and I like Honer and Zimmer, sorry , you guys know my rep. hehe smile and on the up side I do get alot of good information about stuff I wouldn't know otherwise on that board.

Lukas is very knowledgeable but he is letting dollar signs get in the way of his judgement. Hummmmmmm now thats another can of worms , hehehe.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I like Horner and Zimmer, and dislike mindless bashing too, so you're not alone. smile I still think it's an interesting topic to discuss, and valid criticism should be welcome.

Peter wave
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Well, FSM is such a huge club that your bound to find a few jerks there.

I won't dis FSM though, it was my first message board and I have many friends thier that don't post here.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    This whole question of plagiarism has been going on for hundreds of years. Variations on a Theme by Haydn, a work written by Brahms, certainly gives due recognition to Haydn. You can't plagiarize yourself. If Horner wants to reuse his themes he has every right to do so. If Williams asks the Korngold estate permission to use one of his motifs in a score it is acceptable. Each generation uses thoughts and ideas from the previous. Steiner and Korngold both studied Wagner. Beethoven studied Mozart. Schoenberg studied Brahms and sounded like him until he enlarged the 12 tone concept he studied from Hauer. The true artist wants to be original. Read what Stravinsky has to say on the subject sometime.

I think the area of soundtrack composition is a unique one because the majority of it is done for money and likely the only way that many survive. They could not go out and create a concert work and receive the money that they get from a score. Ex. Gordon, a famous Australian composer, wrote a concerto for bass trombone. #1... I doubt that it has ever been performed in the US by a major symphony orchestra.
    #2... I have never ever seen it for sale! Why? People want to hear other things from their symphony which is also all about money.

Do we say anything about Rozsa and how he created a wonderful violin concerto and then reused the whole thing in Private Life of Sherlock Holmes? Korngold took his great theme from Sea Wolf and put it in a quartet of his. He used the theme from Robin Hood in his Symphony?

Bottom line. Very very hard to be original
    listen to more classical music!
  4. sdtom wrote
    Ex. Gordon, a famous Australian composer, wrote a concerto for bass trombone. #1... I doubt that it has ever been performed in the US by a major symphony orchestra.
    #2... I have never ever seen it for sale! Why? People want to hear other things from their symphony which is also all about money.

The concerto has only been performed once, at the event it was commissioned at. This is true of many recent compositions. Carl Vine - an Australian composer - once threatened to retire from composition because every symphony orchestra in the world was interested only in pieces that had NEVER been performed before. This, he felt, was leading to a surge in commissions and creative exhaustion on his part, but a sense of futility, since he knew each symphony/concerto would have only one performance.

As to why you haven't seen Gordon's concerto on CD. It would need to be properly recorded, I would think. Generally they don't mike a premiere performance for a full recording. A work needs a couple of performances under a conductor at least to get up to a good standard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    My entire argument should be food for thought, perhaps a paper from your brain.
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2008
    Actually, you CAN plagiarize yourself, at least according to California universities.

If you don't cite your previous thoughts from a prior paper or what have you, you are plagiarizing.

It seems so inane and stupid....but they must do it for a reason.