• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2013
    Ah, you've already booked!

That's too far off for me, but we'll hang out in other areas.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    Sure, I'll be arriving on wednesday as well, still not sure if I will leave on saturday or sunday; have you already booked a flight to london?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    francis wrote
    Sure, I'll be arriving on wednesday as well, still not sure if I will leave on saturday or sunday; have you already booked a flight to london?

No, not yet.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor, Have you thought about or tried to get in touch with Marian Schedenig?

I've already been in touch with him (regarding tips on what areas to stay in). He'll be there too, so hopefully we'll meet up. Would be great after all these years.

:like:

Make sure you give him my best wishes, it's been over a decade since I last saw him.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Will do.

Hope you get the time to "pop by" during the days we're all in London.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's not impossible wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2013 edited
    OK, so I need to book a hotel in Vienna now.

There is a great apartment for rent that I've found (quite cheap too), but there's the hassle of collecting keys when you arrive, the deposit etc., so I'm not sure about that. Vienna is also quite expensive, hotel-wise.

Where is everyone staying? (beyond Francis).

Or does 'everyone' in this case only encompass Southall?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2013 edited
    I now booked this one-room apartment:

http://www.booking.com/hotel/at/vienna- … ailability

It's smack in the middle of downtown, 500 meters from the Stephan's Cathedral one way and 750 meters to the Konzerthaus the other way.

A bit nervous, as I've never booked an apartment like this before -- but hopefully, everything turns out OK in terms of deposits, key deliverance, cash payment etc.

Even though I hope to hang out with you (meaning Francis and Southall, unless I'm forgetting someone) during the entire stay, we should also try to organize a pre-concert dinner on Friday with people from FSM and JWFAN etc. as well. I also hope we can do the same in London. If no one takes this initiative, I will.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Well, as I'm not an organizer, you have my permission to make something happen for London tongue

it seems you're planning one hell of an October there Thor, surely the most intense couple of weeks you've ever gonna have? voyage wise?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2013
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Well, as I'm not an organizer, you have my permission to make something happen for London tongue

it seems you're planning one hell of an October there Thor, surely the most intense couple of weeks you've ever gonna have? voyage wise?

Not really (as I've skipped Krakow and Ghent this year....at least that's how it looks now), but we're planning a lot of film music goodies in that weekend, for sure!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Hmmm....don't like the look of what I've just booked. Seems fishy. Might have to cancel it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I cancelled.

And I promise this is the last time I update you on this totally irrelevant information to everyone else. wink
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Everything about Vienna is more or less fishy. tongue

That place looked all right to me though. What troubled you?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I've seen THE 3rd MAN, Vienna looks right dodgy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Everything about Vienna is more or less fishy. tongue

Probably a bit of prejudice kicking in, but there were a couple of Eastern European names who asked me to pre-pay 20% of the fee to an Austrian bank account. The email gave a website, but when I tried to click on it, nothing came up. I asked them for some information -- and aired my concerns -- but received no response. So I cancelled.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sounds like a wise decision.
  3. Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Everything about Vienna is more or less fishy. tongue

Probably a bit of prejudice kicking in, but there were a couple of Eastern European names who asked me to pre-pay 20% of the fee to an Austrian bank account. The email gave a website, but when I tried to click on it, nothing came up. I asked them for some information -- and aired my concerns -- but received no response. So I cancelled.

Understandable.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2013 edited
    I wouldn't trust anything with zero reviews, even if it's on booking.com; you can always double check on google maps to see what reviews that turns up (often more truthful than the ones on booking wink).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2013
    I heard there's a second concert planned for Thursday?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorJon Broxton
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2013 edited
    I don't know what your budget is, Thor, but Holly and I stayed at this hotel in Vienna last year during our post-Krakow zip around central Europe:

http://www.exeviennahotel.com/

It's on Ottakringer Strasse in a predominantly Serbian neighborhood, just to the west of downtown Vienna, on the wrong side of the Gurtel, but only 5 mins walk away from the Alser Strasse metro station (which has a McDonalds next door if you're craving something unhealthy!), with a very easy connection to St. Stephens Square, Prater Park, and everywhere else.

It was a nice, friendly hotel, very professional, and we didn't have any problems navigating our way around the city from there at all. I'd definitely recommend it if it's in your price range.

Here's a map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1T4GGNI … MkBEPwSMAE
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2013
    Thanks, Jon. That's a little bit above my budget. But I'm sure I find something...just need to find the 'hotel search energy' again.

Yes, Bregt, I've also heard that they're planning another concert on Thursday. It's weird that they put it the day BEFORE the other one -- I wanted to be there on the premiere, after all.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2013
    Took me long enough, but a new hotel search engine popped up -- trivago.no -- and through that I found a place to stay. So I've now booked there.

The hotel is Hotel Post Vienna -- located here:

https://maps.google.no/maps?q=fleischma … authuser=0

Only "hurdles" remaining now is to pay for the concert ticket itself (that James paid for) and that a prospective employer this autumn will deny the one-week trip. It's a 50-50 possibility.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2013
    Vienna, that's interesting. I've never been there and this would have been a nice opportunity.
    But I just read this already sold out months ago. Oh well, that's what happens if you don't keep up with film music news for a couple of months...
    wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregje, I know that the gala concert tickets for Friday are sold out, but maybe there are more for the additional concert they put in on Thursday (same program)?

I was wondering if we should arrange some sort of get-together before the concert on Friday? I can contact Marian Schedenig in Vienna, who should know some places to eat. The website doesn't show any time and James has the tickets, so when does the concert start?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    It would be a very expensive weekend sad.
    I'm afraid the search results for flight tickets for two show the price for one, ha....
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    By the way, I just looked at the videos on the website and the How To Train Your Dragon suite always puts tears to my eyes. Who was there that year, anyone here? Must have been amazing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    What about Ghent this year Bregje?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    I was wondering if we should arrange some sort of get-together before the concert on Friday? I can contact Marian Schedenig in Vienna, who should know some places to eat. The website doesn't show any time and James has the tickets, so when does the concert start?

Yes please. Definitely up for a get-together (and there's the separate event that Jostein is organising, of course). The concert starts at 1930.
  4. I really, really, really wish I could go to this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Jon Broxton wrote
    I really, really, really wish I could go to this.

I really wish you could come too.