• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2013
    Oscar and Lucinda - Tommy Newman

Excellent. Would like to see him revisit this style, but it's been a while since he's done anything like this.
  1. Maybe his next score will have him revisit that style.
  2. Southall wrote
    Steel Magnolias - Georges Delerue

Ah, I have this now. And am so glad I do. I have had a shit day, one of my worst, and this stunning music is just what I need.

STUNNING

hope everything is better now James
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. NP: El Cid - Miklós Rózsa ( Silva re-recording)

Now, that's film music! punk

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. Most definitely, one of my favourite scores. Ever. And probably my favourite of the era, even if my musical tastes veer more towards Bernard Herrmann and Alfred Newman.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Crazy People - Cliff Eidelman

Quite irritating.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I can imagine. Don't bring them crazy people in your house.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Black Stallion Returns - Delerue

I finally bought the Intrada expanded edition (from ebay). Wish I hadn't. Will never listen to that programme again - the original album edit is infinitely better. Sigh.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2013
    NP : THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS : CITY OF BONES - Atli Orvarsson

First listen...
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. I think that Örvarsson's The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones is the most enjoyable and accomplished scores of his I have heard.

NP: Bat-21 - Christopher Young

I've not listened to this one in many years. Sounds to me that this is still when Chris was yet to settle on his "sound" - though there's hints of whatever that is in the more emotional parts of the score. The action scoring is a bit generic with its Asian influences and drum pad percussion.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote

First listen...

FalkirkBairn wrote
    I think that Örvarsson's The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones is the most enjoyable and accomplished scores of his I have heard.

I agree with you Alan, this is a very enjoyable score ( Hell, I'm actually looking forward to giving it a second play ), the downside is *the usual* string ostinato and MV/RC style percussion is a bit wearing.

Still, a minor quibble. On first listen I give this a 7/10
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE DEEP - John Barry

Atmospheric.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Okay, need something a bit more va-va-voom...

NP : CONAN THE DESTROYER - Basil Poledouris

Of all the classic un-rerecorded scores out there this must be one of the most unlikely candidates of all, mostly because it's not considered a classic. I for one am extremely thankful that this got the deluxe rerecording treatment, I've long been a champion of the original soundtrack and this recording of the complete score gives up many highlights and details that were formerly missing.

Simply superb. 10/10
  6. Timmer wrote
    Okay, need something a bit more va-va-voom...

NP : CONAN THE DESTROYER - Basil Poledouris

Of all the classic un-rerecorded scores out there this must be one of the most unlikely candidates of all, mostly because it's not considered a classic. I for one am extremely thankful that this got the deluxe rerecording treatment, I've long been a champion of the original soundtrack and this recording of the complete score gives up many highlights and details that were formerly missing.

Simply superb. 10/10

punk beer knight
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I think that Örvarsson's The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones is the most enjoyable and accomplished scores of his I have heard.

Agreed!
  7. NP: The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King - Howard Shore (Commercial Release)

With this body of symphonic music Shore has carfted a phenomenon.
    When I regard illustrations by Alan Lee and John Howe, this music echoes through my mind.
    When I read the texts of Tolkien, this music is there.
    These scores aren't mere film scores. They are the musical interpretation of a complex fictional universe. The music has has become an integral part of this universe. It is the music of Middle-Earth.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: ACROSS THE UNIVERSE (The Beatles)

I'm a bit on the fence when it comes to Beatles and these particular versions of the songs. The Goldenthal/Gohl arrangements are fine enough, but sometimes a bit too 'artsy-fartsy', as Timmer would say. There's some brilliant underscore in this film that sadly wasn't included on the soundtrack.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. NP: The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King - Howard Shore (Complete Recordings, disc 4)

Bliss! spin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2013 edited
    Thor wrote
    NP: ACROSS THE UNIVERSE (The Beatles)

I'm a bit on the fence when it comes to Beatles and these particular versions of the songs. The Goldenthal/Gohl arrangements are fine enough, but sometimes a bit too 'artsy-fartsy', as Timmer would say. There's some brilliant underscore in this film that sadly wasn't included on the soundtrack.

I should check it out. Besides Bono's version of I Am The Walrus* I've not heard it.

*I've yet to hear a version as good as the original.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2013

Very enjoyable on the most part.
    Tim is right about "*the usual* string ostinato and MV/RC style percussion", not to mention a couple of "horns of doom" moments but I believe it's now common law throughout the industry to use those tools "or else"!
    But yeah, a nice surprise indeed this score is. It has "themes" too! Will play it again later today.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: A CLOCKWORK ORANGE (Wendy Carlos)

The "score album", if you could call it that (since most of the cues are still arrangements of classical pieces) -- a truly landmark score in terms of synths and electronics.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote

Very enjoyable on the most part.
    Tim is right about "*the usual* string ostinato and MV/RC style percussion", not to mention a couple of "horns of doom" moments but I believe it's now common law throughout the industry to use those tools "or else"!
    But yeah, a nice surprise indeed this score is. It has "themes" too! Will play it again later today.

I gave it another listen last night, it really is very enjoyable, of this ilk of score ( and I think people know what I mean when I say that ) it's among the very best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    A bit like Pacific Rim then? (In terms of quality and ilkiness.)
  9. Steven wrote
    A bit like Pacific Rim then? (In terms of quality and ilkiness.)

Better. More like the Dan Brown scores, I'd say.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Better? Well, I really enjoy Pacific Rim... so I suppose I'll have to check this one out! (Still, it's all relative. These aren't exactly Williams, Goldsmith or Horner masterworks we're talking about here. But fun is fun!)
  10. NP: Madden NFL 25 - Christopher Lennertz

I'm surprised this has a score at all, and even more so that it's done by a relatively big name by Lennertz. Anyway, it's a fun listen! The style is the orchestral rock type stuff you'd expect to hear in an Iron Man film, although he does drop the rock elements for the last few cues and deliver a bit of straight orchestral bombast. EVERY SINGLE CUE is very loud and very testosterone-fueled, no exceptions. It's a bit like listening to trailer music in that sense and gets rather tiring and repetitive (thankfully there's only about half an hour of it). But for what it is, it's well done; I think the orchestra is samples, but they're good enough to make me doubt, which is saying something. The brass certainly sounds very ballsy, real or not. A pleasant little surprise.
  11. Steven wrote
    Better? Well, I really enjoy Pacific Rim... so I suppose I'll have to check this one out! (Still, it's all relative. These aren't exactly Williams, Goldsmith or Horner masterworks we're talking about here. But fun is fun!)

I like Pacific Rim but I am surprised that it's being hailed so much by people ordinarily not into the whole MV/RC thing. It's not THAT much better than its cohorts.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

Exactly! But yes, I'd recommend you check it out Steven.
  12. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Steven wrote

I like Pacific Rim but I am surprised that it's being hailed so much by people ordinarily not into the whole MV/RC thing. It's not THAT much better than its cohorts.

I think it is. smile

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Steven wrote

I wouldn't give it awards for originality or depth, but I do think it has some very decent melodies going for it. I think it wins by just being fun.