• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Michael Clayton (James Newton Howard)

It's funny how tastes shift. I actually can see the value in this one now, having huffed and puffed when it got an Oscar nomination at the time. Given how scoring has shifted so much in this direction (very electronic-driven), it was a prescient score.

Next up: Senna (Antonio Pinto)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Eric wrote
    NP : Gagarin First in Space - George Kallis

A lovely score which caries something for every OST enthusiast .
    Heroic , exciting and beautiful music .
    I'll be re-visiting this one often ...

That "Glory" track at the end fills me with Russian pride.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2013
    The Book Thief - John Williams

Surprisingly low key, but frequently very moving. The whole thing oozes class.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2013 edited
    I can't wait to hear it...I'll wait patiently untill the commercial CD comes out. I still buy CD's when it comes to Williams.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    I can't wait to hear it....

You know where you can get it, right?

Anyway, like James said, THE BOOK THEIF is a classy score. Nothing groundbreaking. Just a great composer writing solid orchestral music, which to me is very reminiscent of Presumed Innocent, A.I and Angela's Ashes.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Of course I'm very much looking forward to hearing that one as well.

Just finished Lorne Balfe's SALINGER, which got better after a few opening cues that didn't give me much hope that the score would go anywhere. The cue "Selling Catcher," right in the middle of the score, was the highlight for me. Great stuff. Several other cues, most in the latter half of the score, were also very nice.

NP - SKYLANDERS SWAP FORCE - Lorne Balfe

This is very (entirely?) synthetic. Nothing to it yet.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ROAD TO PERDITION - Thomas Newman

Superb! One of the composers best.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: City of Joy - Ennio Morricone

How does he do it?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    NP: City of Joy - Ennio Morricone

How does he do it?

A question for us lesser mortals to ponder I'm afraid.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    I can't wait to hear it....

You know where you can get it, right?

Anyway, like James said, THE BOOK THEIF is a classy score. Nothing groundbreaking. Just a great composer writing solid orchestral music, which to me is very reminiscent of Presumed Innocent, A.I and Angela's Ashes.

-Erik-

Thanks for the mention of Angela's Ashes, Erik. I'd not heard this one before so went looking for it. And it's a great score with many memorable tracks.

But The Book Thief I found uninteresting.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Speaking of Morricone, I haven't played this beauty for a very long time....

NP : MALENA - Ennio Morricone

love
  5. NP: Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief (2010) - Christophe Beck

I never saw the film until it aired here in Germany a few days ago. While I found the film to be rather disappointing, I did like the score by Christophe Beck. Hence I ordered it.

It's a robust orchestral romb. Not terribly original but a fun listening experiance.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Adore - Christopher Gordon

Not at all what I was expecting, but I love the roaming arpeggios.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    NP : ROAD TO PERDITION - Thomas Newman

Superb! One of the composers best.

I think it's a great score, but I do find the album a bit of a trudge. Skyfall on the other hand... tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE GREY (Marc Streitenfeld)

Inspired by my recent, massive Ridley Scott webcast, I'm trying to give Streitenfeld another chance. I just can't seem to get my hang on what he's about. This is no exception. Mostly directionless droning.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Wow! I thought that score was excellent!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I like the calm parts.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. That score to me is practically the definition of how a score can be effective but also hold practically no value to me on album. "Alpha" is pretty much the only cue worth listening to, if I recall.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Final Fantasy - Elliot Goldenthal

The Anti-Streitenfeld. He can't help but write interesting music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    That score to me is practically the definition of how a score can be effective but also hold practically no value to me on album.

I had no issue with The Grey on album but I see your point. Scores like Gravity and Terminator 2 are super effective in their films but nothing I enjoy as stand alone listens.

-Erik-
  7. Thor wrote
    I like the calm parts.

Isn't it mostly calm parts? There's like 3 tracks that aren't.

NP: Zero Dark Thirty (Desplat)

Now this would be a droning score. wink Good droning, but definitely droning.

And earlier today -- Edward Artemiev's droning, still landmark Solaris score. Good music to mark essays to.
  8. Southall wrote

Streitenfeld ain't all bad, but Goldenthal is his Anti-, that is true.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2013
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote

[FSM mode on]

Ain't all bad?! AIN'T ALL BAD!!?

What are you f"#¤"#king crazy? He's everything that is wrong with film music today! Just a bunch of Zimmerino pupils playing the same music over and over again. Why isn't there more music like Max Steiner and Erich Wolfgang Korngold? Orchestral music is all you need, electronic music is CRAP! We're all gonna die! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIIIIIIIIE!

[FSM mode off]

No, true, he isn't all bad.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I have never heard anything from Streitenfeld that a hundred other composers couldn't have done much better.
  9. Scribe wrote
    I have never heard anything from Streitenfeld that a hundred other composers couldn't have done much better.

Glass half empty is one way to pass through life. wink

NP: Road to Perdition (thomas newman)

I'm guessing he would be one of the hundred. One of the great scores of that decade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote

I quite liked The Grey, as it happens. Fine in the film, certainly. Some of his others are not without their moments. But I'm not really sure what he brings to the table, whether there's any thought process beyond "there should be music here."
  10. I'd say spotting and music editing was probably how he got into it, so you're probably right on that mark.
    Although, now that Ridley seems to have moved on, who knows whether the work will be as forthcoming.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I don't think he's ever scored a film which didn't involve Scott in some capacity, so I would guess not.
  11. Fickle business.
    The other thing in his favour, which has never been something to overlook in these issues... he may not be that expensive.

NP: Remember Me (Derriere)

A beauty. A bit of everything, all of it done well. (Except... maybe... that robotic 'me-mor-eee' choir.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Remember Me is a masterpiece including robotic 'memory."

-Erik-