• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    Also this is one of the best sounding scores I have ever heard. The way this sound is concieved and called into being is amazing.

Really? I think it sounds rather flat and extremely dry! Not Simon Rhodes' best recording.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2013
    Yeah, same. As much as I love that score, its recording leaves a little to be desired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2013 edited
    Strangely, the recording sessions leak sounds way better.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Medicine Man - Jezza G

Rewriting my review of this at the moment. It's brilliant. Bollocks to everyone, it's getting five stars.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Medicine Man - Jezza G

Rewriting my review of this at the moment. It's brilliant. Bollocks to everyone, it's getting five stars.

Welldeserved too. One of my own personal JG favourites -- any many others' too, I'm well aware.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. NP: Africa (2012) - Sarah Class

Again. On heavy rotation. I love this score! 6 stars out of 5. dizzy

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Africa (2012) - Sarah Class

Volker

It's very good, I would give it 3.5 out of 5. Have you heard Christopher Gunning's WILD AFRICA?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Papillon - Jezza G

Absolutely sensational. One of my favourites by him.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Papillon - Jezza G

A 5 out of 5 score, without a doubt.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. James Horner - Enemy at the Gates

My mom is recognizing James Horner by style. What a proud moment for me!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Africa (2012) - Sarah Class

Volker

Crikey. I just find it 'okay', kinda pleasant but a bit forgettable. Her synth stuff is very lacking in my opinion, almost could have been composed by Silvestri.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Papillon - Jezza G

That theme! love I prefer the theme as heard in full, symphonic mode from his movie suite. Good movie too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Pacific Rim Ramin Djawadi

This score is oddly addictive. A lot of fun.
  3. Steven wrote
    Pacific Rim Ramin Djawadi

This score is oddly addictive. A lot of fun.

Indeed!
  4. NP: Armageddon (1998) - Trevor Rabin

Back when that style of blockbuster action scoring was still fresh and innovative. A fun ride all the way, if a bit monothematic.
    But what a rediculous film!

Volker
  5. Harry Gregson-Williams wrote about half (if not a bit more) of the score with help from Steve Jablonsky and, in two cues, actually Hans Zimmer.
  6. So we very aptly refer to these as MV/RC scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief - Christophe Beck

This is everything that Andrew Lockington's sequel score isn't.

Great main theme with stunning variations of said theme. Colourful, exciting and intriguing orchestrations utilizing chorus and the full symphony orchestra including trumpets, which are almost completely absent from Lockington's score. There is not one dull moment in this score. Great listen from top to tail. And there is even a classic end title suite to wrap up all of Beck's ideas into one glorious 7 minute listen. :drool: Too bad I overlooked this one when it first came out. I can't wait to revisit this one in the very near future.

It's so sad that Beck was unable to expand on his musical ideas and themes from the first film into the second one. Lockington's sequel score is quite lacklustre and is missing many of the elements that made Beck's effort such a success.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  7. Captain Future wrote
    So we very aptly refer to these as MV/RC scores.

Yeah, it's quite a funny story how Bruckheimer thought HGW (who brought in Jablonsky) just because he thought Rabin (who had two or three scores on his belt at the time) couldn't pull off something of this scope alone.

That said, none of Gregson-Williams cues are present on the official CD (there is a 2-CD bootleg, which got pretty popular, actually). That means it doesn't feature the movie's love theme, which was written by Gregson-Williams.

Another funny story is that Hideo Nakata was looking for an additional bigger name for his second Metal Gear Solid game and got a promo or something of Gregson-Williams somehow, who took the assignment just because the material Nakata based asking him on featured the unknown Armageddon material (while the "additional music" credit is prominent in the film, nobody at that time knew what was his input), but...

The material Nakata got featured a lot of additional arrangements of Steve Jablonsky, so Harry asked him for help with the Metal Gear Solid music even if Steve was no longer his assistant anymore (it was during the short stint Jablonsky had working directly with Zimmer on a few scores, most notably Pearl Harbor and King Arthur later on). Jablonsky did help out.

It could be noted that Armageddon wasn't the first time MV composers were brought in for help with a Rabin score. Rabin, it has to be said, was NEVER part of MV and the fact that Bruckheimer brought in MV composers leads to this massive misconception. One of Rabin's first jobs in Hollywood was playing guitar on Mancina's Twister, then he asked him (they were friends from the Yes band, of course), to co-score (scheduling conflict for Mancina) Con Air. Armageddon brought it Gregson-Williams and so did Enemy of the State. Later, Rabin scored Bay's Bad Boys II, with Jablonsky brought in for additional music.

To finish this useless trivia post - the two latter examples led to composer changes. In both cases the respective directors (Tony Scott and Michael Bay) created working relationships with the additional writers rather than Rabin.
  8. To finish this useless trivia post ...

No, no, I never tire of reading your Zimmer-related insights, Pawel. smile

NP: Silk Road (1980) - Kitaro

Maybe the most popular tv score ever written for a documantary series. It propelled Kitaro to stardom. In Germany it was huge and it became the empitome of New Age music. I saw the series "The Silk Road" as a kid and I was awe-struck. A friend of mine owned the score on vinyl. My cassette copy played until it wore out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I think that Armageddon is the most theme/motif-rich MV/RC score ever created.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    To finish this useless trivia post ...

No, no, I never tire of reading your Zimmer-related insights, Pawel. smile

My God, what have you done...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Captain Future wrote

Maybe the most popular tv score ever written for a documantary series.

Really? Never heard of it!
  9. Southall wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Maybe the most popular tv score ever written for a documantary series.

Really? Never heard of it!

shocked
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4WuMoOy_gc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKd2WEqW … 318BBDB943
    • CommentAuthorLars
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    So we very aptly refer to these as MV/RC scores.

In both cases the respective directors (Tony Scott and Michael Bay) created working relationships with the additional writers rather than Rabin.

gregson-williams co-composed Enemy Of The Sate, because rabin was also scoring Jack Frost at that time. and because both scored already Armageddon successful, bruckheimer thought it would be a great idea to team up both again. and maybe tony scott had also no problem with it, because harry already helped hans out on The Fan.

and Bad Boys 2 was also a difficult situation, because rabin took over at a very late point. and michael bay isn't the most easiest director to work with, so many changes were made at the score. jablonsky rearranged alot of rabins music and most of it in a bad way. rabins music was more thematic than the stuff jablonsky made out of it. best example is the scene, when they decide to go to cuba. rabin composed a really cool piece of music for that scene. especially in the second part. but jablonsky rearranged it and it lost all the power. there was a reason why mancina left the project before it started.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Mummy Returns - Alan Silvestri

Nobody could accuse this of being quiet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief - Christophe Beck

This is everything that Andrew Lockington's sequel score isn't.

Great main theme with stunning variations of said theme. Colourful, exciting and intriguing orchestrations utilizing chorus and the full symphony orchestra including trumpets, which are almost completely absent from Lockington's score. There is not one dull moment in this score. Great listen from top to tail. And there is even a classic end title suite to wrap up all of Beck's ideas into one glorious 7 minute listen. :drool: Too bad I overlooked this one when it first came out. I can't wait to revisit this one in the very near future.

It's so sad that Beck was unable to expand on his musical ideas and themes from the first film into the second one. Lockington's sequel score is quite lacklustre and is missing many of the elements that made Beck's effort such a success.

-Erik-

Just listened to it. I can't say I share your enthusiasm. All very symphonic and trumpety to be sure, but it suffers from what I think is exactly the problem you have with Lockington's score; a lack of any real personality. (In fact I quite like Lockington's score.)

To me it seems like someone has fed the instructions "symphonic; adventure; fantasy; action" into a computer and recorded the outcome with a live orchestra. Nothing wrong with it, it serves its purpose... but it doesn't leave much of an impression.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    A lack of personality isn't my issue with Lockington's score. It's just plain ass dull.

Beck's score, while doesn't have much of a distinct voice of its own, is light years ahead of Lockington's flat, uninspired effort. At least Beck wrote variations on his theme surrounding it with delightful and colourful orchestrations that fits in nicely with some of my favourite scores written in the the fantasy/adventure genre.

Lockington's, on the other hand, is "been there, done that" choppy string ostinati, low grumbling brass, horns playing the same melody, exactly the same way every time without variation and deathly boring 4/4 drums. sleep

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2013
    Lars wrote
    and Bad Boys 2 was also a difficult situation, because rabin took over at a very late point. and michael bay isn't the most easiest director to work with, so many changes were made at the score. jablonsky rearranged alot of rabins music and most of it in a bad way. rabins music was more thematic than the stuff jablonsky made out of it. best example is the scene, when they decide to go to cuba. rabin composed a really cool piece of music for that scene. especially in the second part. but jablonsky rearranged it and it lost all the power. there was a reason why mancina left the project before it started.

Mark noted in the liner for Bad Boys that Michael Bay was looking for a score that was heavy on percussion and less on thematics, which Mark couldn't agree with. I thought that's why Rabin was brought in (and Steve and RC crew).
    • CommentAuthorLars
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2013
    lp wrote
    Lars wrote

Mark noted in the liner for Bad Boys that Michael Bay was looking for a score that was heavy on percussion and less on thematics, which Mark couldn't agree with. I thought that's why Rabin was brought in (and Steve and RC crew).

there were alot of guys involved. rabin, linford, jablonsky, morris, dr. dre and gregson-williams. after this score, jablonsky became bays main composer. rabins music was only in a couple of scenes thematic and i think in the right moments. i don't know why bay didn't like it. jablonsky's version is ok, but with rabin's original music the scenes would have been more intense. i like the Bad Boys 2 score nonethelss and an
    official score release would be awesome.