• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2013
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - Brian Tyler

I was a young man when I pressed play. Does it ever end?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2013 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    His best since Inception!

True! biggrin

^ Really? Reeeeeeeeally?

-Erik-

PS - Zimmer's best since Inception is The Lone Ranger. FACT!
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    ^ Really? Reeeeeeeeally?

-Erik-

Yes.

NP: Signs - James Newton Howard

I never quite got the hype about this one. Maybe I will now.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

True! biggrin

^ Really? Reeeeeeeeally?

-Erik-

No, its Man of Steel. FACT!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2013 edited
    Scribe wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

True! biggrin

^ Really? Reeeeeeeeally?

-Erik-

No, its Man of Steel. FACT!

lol

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote

Volker

One of my personal top ten scores of all time!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Really it's a bad day for film music when people argue over what is Hans Zimmer's best score since INCEPTION rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. I haven't heard RUSH yet, but I'd say THE LONE RANGER is the best thing Hans Zimmer has written in a couple years. Probably since PoC: AWE.

NP: ENDER'S GAME - Steve Jablonsky.

Not bad. I was expecting worse after some comments from this board, but it's pretty okay. If the middle chunk (tracks 8-14ish) of the album were to go away I wouldn't miss it, but there are some good moments. I like "Ender's War" and "The Battle Room," and "Ender's Promise" is quite good after it finally starts doing something (around the 2 min. mark).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ Really? Reeeeeeeeally?

-Erik-

Yes.

Volker

This is in my top 300* scores of all time. I think you should tell us if you "get it" yet?

*Believe me, top 300 means that it's very highly regarded by me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. I can see the muiscal qualities that this score has. It's a damn fine composition. I guess I'll have to revisit the film to evaluate it as a score.
  4. I always felt that the two "Hand of Fate" cues are really all you need to hear from Signs (and it's some of JNH's best material), although I'm sure I'll get a stern talking-to about buildup and payoff and all that nonsense... wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2013
    IMO there are moments in the middle of the score (my favorite being in "Boarding Up The House") that are more magical and special than the "Hand of Fate" cues.
  5. IMO there are few moments in the history of film music that are more magical and special than the "Hand of Fate" cues. But now that you've said that, I'm gonna have to go back and listen to "Boarding up the House."

NP - GIRL RISING - Lorne Balfe and Rachel Portman

This is nice. Very nice. It's certainly my favorite thing I've ever heard Balfe do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    christopher wrote
    IMO there are few moments in the history of film music that are more magical and special than the "Hand of Fate" cues. But now that you've said that, I'm gonna have to go back and listen to "Boarding up the House."

Its the bit from 1:35 to 2:05. That's my favorite part of the score, but I didn't mean that "Hand of Fate" is any less than spectacular either smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2013 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I always felt that the two "Hand of Fate" cues are really all you need to hear from Signs

And you'd be wrong! wink No, seriously, you'd be wrong biggrin Ok, seriously... WRONG!

-Erik-
  6. Scribe wrote
    christopher wrote
    IMO there are few moments in the history of film music that are more magical and special than the "Hand of Fate" cues. But now that you've said that, I'm gonna have to go back and listen to "Boarding up the House."

Its the bit from 1:35 to 2:05. That's my favorite part of the score, but I didn't mean that "Hand of Fate" is any less than spectacular either smile

That is a nice bit.
  7. FROZEN GROUND - Lorne Balfe

Not recommended. Nothing happens in this score. It just drags on and on. Why must I feel compelled to listen to everything in an album before dismissing it?
  8. Thor wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: FLOWERS OF WAR (Qigang Chen)

What a gorgeous score this is! Parts of it remind me of Fenton's ANNA & THE KING.

My God, I'm well into this now and the choral writing, man, THE CHORAL WRITING! This must have been one of the best scores of 2011!

I'm agreeing with Thor -- that most mean the planets have alinged and huge comet is about to strike us! Cats and dogs, living together!!!
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Signs is definitely in my top ten scores of all time. The Hand of Fate PT I is one of the best cues ever written. Perfect fit between image and music. For those who hasn't seen the movie at least watch the Hand of Fate scene.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Nosso Lar - Philip Glass

Listening to a few favourite tracks from this Glass score from 2010. "Sombra" is a highlight: in a way typical Glass but different...with its ostinato basis but with interesting orchestral variations.

I must be slipping...I've never heard of this!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    justin boggan wrote
    Thor wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: FLOWERS OF WAR (Qigang Chen)

What a gorgeous score this is! Parts of it remind me of Fenton's ANNA & THE KING.

My God, I'm well into this now and the choral writing, man, THE CHORAL WRITING! This must have been one of the best scores of 2011!

I'm agreeing with Thor -- that most mean the planets have alinged and huge comet is about to strike us! Cats and dogs, living together!!!

Now if only Steven would like it too, the apocalypse would surely be upon us.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: HUMAN PLANET (Nitin Sawhney)

The composer is unfamiliar to me, but there's some lovely writing here. Not necessarily super-thematic, but great 'colours', so to speak.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I really like Sawhney's music for Human Planet. I play it quite often.

NP: The Paradise - Maurizio Malagnini

Sumptuous, beautiful music that complements the period drama perfectly!
    Malagnini is a name to watch out for.
  9. Now Playing: Porco Rosso - Joe Hisaishi

A lightweight, by Miyazaki/Hisaishi standards. Has all the usual chipper, upbeat themes and sense of innocence that you would expect. The opening burst of adventure and the absolutely gorgeous recorder theme in "A Time of Searching" (aka "In Search of the Distant Era"...stupid alternate Japanese translated titles) are the highlights, a shame that there's not more like it on the album. Still, you can't go wrong with Hisaishi and this is a lovely score, just not quite in the same league as a Spirited Away or a Castle in the Sky.
  10. NP: The Russia House (1990) - Jerry Goldsmith

The CD arrived today.

Beautiful music! Goldsmith on top of his game.

Volker
  11. My most personal Jerry Goldsmith score.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : Gagarin First in Space - George Kallis

A lovely score which caries something for every OST enthusiast .
    Heroic , exciting and beautiful music .
    I'll be re-visiting this one often ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    PawelStroinski wrote
    My most personal Jerry Goldsmith score.

It's definitely one of my all time favorite jazz/Goldsmith score
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's my favourite Goldsmith score for a John le Carre adaptation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: LE CINEMA DE POLNAREFF (Michel Polnareff)

This is so swingin' and cool and catchy, I absolutely love it -- both the songs and the instrumentals.
    I am extremely serious.