• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Man of Steel

It has been a while since I last saw this film. I have come to appreciate it a bit more more than I did upon its release. Anyhow, it is a flawed film.
    Would there not be this ridiculously overblown and slightly illogical final, it would actually be a good film.
    Yes, and the way they resurrect Jor-El doesn't agree with me. This could have been handled way more subtle.
    I would have liked Laurence Fishburn's part to be bigger.
    I would have loved Lois Lane to be a ... a character.
    I love the initial Crypton sequence. I would have loved to see a complete feature film about that backstory.
    The cast is fine.
    The score is fine.
    The production design is fine.
    The story is OK save for the final act.
    Did anyone understand why General Zod is dead all of a sudden?

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2016
    Supes broke his neck.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2016 edited
    DESTROYING CITIES STARRING BATMAN AND SUPERMAN

Nowhere near as bad as I was expecting, in fact I thoroughly enjoyed it. The last 30 odd minutes or so went into the usual big battle destruction scene leaving me feeling meh, I thought Ben Afflicted as Batman was great, he could possibly become my favourite incarnation.

The score was very noisy and inappropriate for the most part ( hated that guitar shite for Wonder Woman ), I didn't like most of it however there were some parts that really caught my ear with one piece sounding Barryesque during a scene with Bruce Wayne doing a bit of espionage accessing Lex Luthor's records.

I enjoyed it far more than Man of Steel.

6.5 / 10

I hope I written okay because I'm quite drunk now.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2016
    Fcku of
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    True. But I think with most things, it's a pendulum that swings both ways. I'll be very surprised if thematic scoring every truly goes out of fashion.

True. And even now, it comes in and out of fashion in some movies, see Beltrami's awesome score (for that crappy laughable movie btw). I don't think people will love bassy drones forever. There will be a time when noise and one-note bass-drone scores will get out of fashion again, and onto the next thing: hopefully the next thing might be a bit more thematic smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    DESTROYING CITIES STARRING BATMAN AND SUPERMAN

Nowhere near as bad as I was expecting, in fact I thoroughly enjoyed it. The last 30 odd minutes or so went into the usual big battle destruction scene leaving me feeling meh, I thought Ben Afflicted as Batman was great, he could possibly become my favourite incarnation.

The score was very noisy and inappropriate for the most part ( hated that guitar shite for Wonder Woman ), I didn't like most of it however there were some parts that really caught my ear with one piece sounding Barryesque during a scene with Bruce Wayne doing a bit of espionage accessing Lex Luthor's records.

I enjoyed it far more than Man of Steel.

6.5 / 10

I hope I written okay because I'm quite drunk now.

But man of steel is bleh. Easy to surpass wink will watch it soon too (batman vs superman)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2016
    Season finale of BLACK SAILS, season 3! Wow! What a great show and finale. Looked very expensive. One of my favourite TV shows right now (I watch a lot of TV shows).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2016
    NO SPOILERS!
    I've been saving myself until the end of this series so I can TOTALLY BINGE-WATCH it!

DEFINITELY one of my very favourites as well!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2016 edited
    I haven't seen any of it but want to see it so I'll binge massive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I've watched four episodes from the first season in about a year. I guess that's not really binging. I've got the rest to watch but not sure I really like it...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Finale of HOUSE OF CARDS Season 4

Well that escalated quickly. I thought it was a terrific season with a great flow and focus (Michael thinks otherwise if I'm correct?). Three interesting story archs ([spoiler]Claire taking the lead and the elections, the journalism and Underwood being shot and the hostage[/spoiler]) that reach a dark and really cynical finale. How long can this go on? Just one more season I would suspect...
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote

Well that escalated quickly. I thought it was a terrific season with a great flow and focus (Michael thinks otherwise if I'm correct?). Three interesting story archs ([spoiler]Claire taking the lead and the elections, the journalism and Underwood being shot and the hostage[/spoiler]) that reach a dark and really cynical finale. How long can this go on? Just one more season I would suspect...

Yeah, I'm thinking one or two more seasons. There is untapped territory in American politics yet, and if they take the recent shenanigans of the Republican candidates in the REAL campaign as a starting-point for inspiration, they can go pretty crazy, script-wise, before even coming CLOSE to the madness of Trump et.al.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Regarding BLACK SAILS, of course I won't give any spoilers.

Timmer, knowing your interest in nautical adventures, I knew you'd like this "serious" adaptation of both fictional and real pirates. It's a superb show, and I hope it goes on for at least one or two more seasons.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Black Sails Season 4 has been commissioned before Season 3 even aired, so that's a given.

I'm a little bit behind, but it's certainly one of the best things on TV right now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Never heard of this show till now bit it sounds right up my alley!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Bregt wrote

Yeah, I'm thinking one or two more seasons. There is untapped territory in American politics yet, and if they take the recent shenanigans of the Republican candidates in the REAL campaign as a starting-point for inspiration, they can go pretty crazy, script-wise, before even coming CLOSE to the madness of Trump et.al.

Watching it too. I am halfway season4. Loving this series in general. Hitting the nail of US politics on the head i think smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's actually quite mild compared to what's happening in real life right now.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    It's actually quite mild compared to what's happening in real life right now.

Well indeed. But even if US politics were almost a bit too crazy and intense for the rest of us in the world, still i don't think that ever in the recent, modern past, has been such a lunatic running so high for president as Trump now, and such turbulent pre-election period in the US, as the current one now. I think that even for US politics' standards, Trump is an exception too much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    He is. Everyone even marginally enlightened can see that. Unfortunately, USA also consists of piles upon piles of un-enlightened people who love him because he "tells it like it is" (their words, not mine). But I trust Obama when he says Trump will never be president.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. No, he won't. He will leave the GOP in smoking ruins, which is what they deserve after what they pulled these past years. As I read in SLATE some weeks ago: The GOP is a failed state and Trump is its warlord.

What doesn't cease to astonish me is how a man like Trump can be such a successful businessman. Initially I thought that he puts up a show, but he really seems to believe in the nonsense he trumpets around. slant

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. Captain Future wrote
    trumpets

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/10484893.jpg
  5. Captain Philips (2013)

Another strong Greengrass movie, thrilling from start to finish. I like the fact they also portrayed the villains as humans who do this for a reason, and show some kind of sympathy too. Though the real star is Tom Hanks and that final minute in the film gave me chills. Not as gripping as United 93, but it came close from time to time.

8 out of 10

---------------------------

Beverly Hills Chihuahua (2008)

I know, not the thing you expect once you saw Captain Philips, but even more, I'm afraid to admit I actually liked the silliness of it. It even made me giggle from time to time. It's as stupid as it is funny. And the line between those I think will divide you. I actually appreciated very much the cinematography in it, and again the voice talents that made the film bearable.

Sadly, my girlfriend will put me through the sequels too, and I know they will be the rubbish I was actually expecting this to be

5 out of 10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2016
    Star Wars: The Force Awakens

First viewing. I've read all the criticisms, understand a few of them, couldn't care less about any of them. I was enthralled by every second. I'm sure there's a lot that wasn't perfect that I will pick up on with my next viewings, but the feeling it induced upon first seeing it is enough to fall in love with Star Wars again.

A fine, fine way to introduce new audiences to Star Wars while appeasing the old.

And John Williams fucking nailed it.
  6. The Walking Dead "Season 5"

Not as strong as the the first 4, but the final 3 episodes made up for that. Even though it had to put me through some less interesting episodes in the middle, I now understand why they had to do it. To form the basis that the final episodes exploded upon. It gives me again the excitement to look forward to Season 6 smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2016
    Steven wrote

First viewing.

...wut? uhm

Black Sails, series 3 episode 1.
    New character being introduced. shocked Shit's about to get REAL! punk skull
    (We really quite desperately need some pirate emoticons here. Har. And such.)
    Great seeing Ray Stevenson again. I really like him as Titus Pullo in the excellent HBO series Rome. He's still as massive! And threatening.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    You're up for some surprises, Martiijn. The great thing about this show is that the universe consists of both fictional and existing pirates, so you're never sure about any fates. They can write characters in and out based on the fiction or real history; or mix the two.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    The Walking Dead "Season 5"

Not as strong as the the first 4, but the final 3 episodes made up for that. Even though it had to put me through some less interesting episodes in the middle, I now understand why they had to do it. To form the basis that the final episodes exploded upon. It gives me again the excitement to look forward to Season 6 smile

Lot's of great stuff in season 6. Personally, I like the fact that you can have a series of episodes less focussed on the zombie threat, and more on just talking and "living" in the world they're living in.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

First viewing. I've read all the criticisms, understand a few of them, couldn't care less about any of them. I was enthralled by every second. I'm sure there's a lot that wasn't perfect that I will pick up on with my next viewings, but the feeling it induced upon first seeing it is enough to fall in love with Star Wars again.

A fine, fine way to introduce new audiences to Star Wars while appeasing the old.

And John Williams fucking nailed it.

I'm still not sure if I really liked it? I do want to see it again though.

As for Williams score I can't get past 'it's good', one of the weaker efforts IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I liked it.
    I REALLY liked it.

I'm with you on the score, though. It's good.which is fine. But no more. (Compared to the Holy Trilogy, of course. Not recent blockbuster efforts by others.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    LOVED the movie... LOVED... let me rephrase... STILL love the score. IMO, it's one of the THE best scores written in the past 15 years. <-- My opinion... so argue about that all you want! I think it's absolutely brilliant music!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!