• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2014
    But we're mortal enemies. We're bound to disagree.

(The Avengers is a close second for me.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    But we're mortal enemies. We're bound to disagree.

(The Avengers is a close second for me.)

I reckon we're at Def-Con 3 wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. I'm gonna have to go Avengers as well, Iron Man 3 is a heck of a ride but has a few glaring stupidities.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I'm gonna have to go Avengers as well, Iron Man 3 is a heck of a ride but has a few glaring stupidities.

The Avengers is pretty stupid, too!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2014
    I don't really like any of the Marvel movies (for me, they're just totally interchangeable), and I thought IRON MAN III was a mediocre, middle-of-the-road movie. I see that I gave it a 3+ out of 6 in my list. That's not too bad.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yes, but that's because you're wrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    He, he....is this the point where I reiterate that I loved MAN OF STEEL? Now THAT's the way to do a superhero movie. And yes, I'm serious.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I saw the early showing, slightly cheaper in other words, today of "Lone Survivor". The theater was nearly full.

Based on the real operation Red Wings, where a group of Navy SEAL's goes on an operation to take out a Taliban operative who's killed a number of American's in Afghanistan.

Things go off without a hitch until one unexpected encounter, then things go down hill quickly and do not get better.

Now, I had a bunch of fore knowledge about it simply because the survivor, I won't give his name incase you don't know it and are planning on seeing the movie, is good good friends with Glenn Beck, and he's had him on the radio and television show a few times to talk about it (in fact, he was on this last Friday).

For example, I know that he never killed that Taliban with the knife as depected in the film. And that he was paralyzed from the waist down at the end and was using his hands to drag his body across the rocky forest, taking a knife, drawing a line as far ahead himself as he could, and dragging himself until he reached it, then drawing the line again. Sadly, this dramatic moment of strength and courage was not in the film.

He took hits, fell brutally down rocky mountain sides, was paralyzed from the waist down, and was being hunted by an unexpected small army of Taliban.

Glenn specifically asked him how accurate is the movie, and he said some of it was so real, it was like his nightmares. The events left him with severe emotional stress and problems and it took him a long time to get over those. He was still going through them when talking to the studio about making the movie, at one point telling them that if they do anything to dishonor him or his fallen brothers, he'd kill them. The meeting got a little quiet after that.

The film is brutal. There's some shakey-cam in it, but it's not overly done. But what is overly done, is the fast-cut scenes -- got really annoying.
    There's appropriate amounts of pre-Red Wings comradery before so we get to know the real life people some, and you feel bad for them because you remember what the film is titled.

The score by Steve Jablonsky and Explosions In the Sky, is servicable, but nothing remarkable.
    Some syntyhs pads, guitar, some orchestra later on. It was kind of there carrying you around, never really helped the emotion of the film and the emotonal release was weak.

Peter Berg, director.

It was worth it.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    He, he....is this the point where I reiterate that I loved MAN OF STEEL? Now THAT's the way to do a superhero movie. And yes, I'm serious.

You mean make it shitty? Well, if that's the way you like them. But that's a continuing trend with you. I remember also loved the turd that was Prometheus.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2014 edited
    Thor wrote

Seriously old friend.....explain?

There were some good points in this film but on the whole it was truly dreadful.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Next Thor will tell us about his love of symmetrical book stacking, and how it's the only way to stack books.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Best Marvel film yet, I think.

Nope! That's THE AVENGERS.

Agreed, but Iron Man 3 comes in a tight second. The whole trilogy was pretty solid imho.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  5. justin boggan wrote
    It was worth it.

The biggest thing I took from this post is that you actually bother listening to the foaming-at-the-mouth conspiracy-theorist wacko that is Glenn Beck. Seriously dude.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I prefer Man of steel too, and Thor is speaking undeniable fact. Anyway, my favourite Marvel is the first Iron man. The avengers is pretty neat as well.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Seriously old friend.....explain?

There were some good points in this film but on the whole it was truly dreadful.

Well, we've been down this road about 347 times on the board, haven't we? I'll just refer back to the MAN OF STEEL thread for elaboration.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Sherlock

Have now watched all the episodes, and have really enjoyed this show. The first episode completely blew me away, so I was a bit disappointed that I didn't find the second one as good. All the others were very good, except for the second episode of the third season, which was a bit lackluster and had a bit too much comedy. But the comedy in all the other episodes has been fantastic.

Anyway, Sherlock is a fantastic character, and Watson is great tu. Irene Adler was great, and should be in future episodes. I wonder though if I'm the only one who found Moriarty to be a ridiculous caricature and the overacting to be ridiculous. He acted like a spiteful teenager, overdosed on mushrooms and I'm supposed to believe he's some super genius who's running a global crime syndicate? I get what they were trying to do, but they should at the very least have used an actor who's gone through puberty. [spoiler]Glad he snuffed it though.[/spoiler]

Anyway, can't wait for the third episode tonight!

Peter smile
  6. I kind of like what they did with Moriarty; he's essentially such a super-genius that it's driven him batshit to be surrounded by such ordinary people. All that immaturity and such is the result of him being completely stir-crazy.

Incidentally, allow me to ruin your day. As much as I love his acting, my liking for Martin Freeman has taken a severe blow upon seeing this. Really really bad taste, dude. slant
  7. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    It was worth it.

The biggest thing I took from this post is that you actually bother listening to the foaming-at-the-mouth conspiracy-theorist wacko that is Glenn Beck. Seriously dude.

Telling. Very telling.
  8. Wasn't it Beck who stated that picking Bane as a villain for The Dark Knight Rises was to undermine Mitt Romney due to his connections with Bain Capital (leading largely to his election loss), even if Bane was in the script actually before Romney even decided to run in the Republican primaries? biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    plindboe wrote
    I prefer Man of steel too, and Thor is speaking undeniable fact. Anyway, my favourite Marvel is the first Iron man. The avengers is pretty neat as well.

Peter smile

I watched the first one a few days ago. It's a solid film, a decent start to the Iron Man franchise, but as ever with 'origin' stories by the second half it loses what it sets up so well at the start. Iron Man 3 is better on just about every level!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Incidentally, allow me to ruin your day. As much as I love his acting, my liking for Martin Freeman has taken a severe blow upon seeing this. Really really bad taste, dude. slant

Erm...
  9. Steven wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

Erm...

I don't care. Even if that was a joke, he delivered it so deadpan that it's still bad taste.
  10. justin boggan wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    It was worth it.

Telling. Very telling.

That's exactly what I was thinking.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Steven wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

Erm...

I don't care. Even if that was a joke, he delivered it so deadpan that it's still bad taste.

Right.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I saw absolutely NOTHING to be offended by. It was rather wry, it made me smile.
  11. Hm. I think there are ways to be wry and funny that don't involve insulting a colleague, but maybe that's just me.
  12. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Hm. I think there are ways to be wry and funny that don't involve insulting a colleague, but maybe that's just me.

I have made the experiance that irony works quite differently in the English speaking world than it does among German speaking people. But since you are at home in both worlds, this probably is not the matter here.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Hm. I think there are ways to be wry and funny that don't involve insulting a colleague, but maybe that's just me.

Seriously, dude. Lighten up!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    I saw absolutely NOTHING to be offended by. It was rather wry, it made me smile.

I really like Martin Freeman in interviews. He doesn't take the whole 'show business' thing very seriously, which is a sign of a smart man.
  13. Captain Future wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

I have made the experiance that irony works quite differently in the English speaking world than it does among German speaking people. But since you are at home in both worlds, this probably is not the matter here.

I would say it's a matter of British vs. American humor, if it wasn't for the fact that I gel pretty well with British humor most of the time.
    Steven wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

Seriously, dude. Lighten up!

I dunno, there was just something about that comment that rubbed me the wrong way. But I'll try. tongue