• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2014 edited
    Thor wrote
    Wow, I thought it was one of the ten best films of 2013!

Really?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Do you, btw, know Young Mr Lincoln (1939), directed by John Ford with Henry Fonda starring as AL? I always found that a great film.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2014
    Yes though I've not seen it for many years. A fine score by Alfred Newman as I remember from watching it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thor wrote
    Wow, I thought it was one of the ten best films of 2013! I wasn't totally blown away the first time -- too much information communicated through dialogue (and I usually hate that) -- but I've seen it a couple of times since and it's really grown on me, especially because it manages to communciate the spielbergian traits despite the dialogue-heavy material. Kaminski's photography is fantastic, as is Williams' score and Day-Lewis' performance, in particular.

I mostly agree, I thought it was a really good film. I had no problems with all the dialogues and speeches, a joy to behold. DDL performance was fantastic. What a story too, unbelievable.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I have no problem with "wordy" films, the brilliant 12 ANGRY MEN immediately comes to mind. I was very impressed with myself. The fact I didn't fall asleep while watching Lincoln astounds me.
  2. Timmer wrote
    LINCOLN ( 2012 )

Has anyone else here seen it or posted a review of it? My gods but this was TEDIOUS, WORDY and too full of self important WORTHINESS.

What a borefest, I'll never regain that 144 minutes, LINCOLN now joins Warren Beatty's REDS as the most tedious, overwhelmingly boring film I've ever had the un-pleasure to sit through.

Awful, truly fucking awful. JOHN WILLIAMS score didn't help either, every time his "worthy" bleeding music piped up I wanted to shout at the screen SHUT THE FUCK UP!

I think you can tell I was VERY irritated by this whole movie

I wasn't quite that irritated, but basically your allergic reaction was akin to mine.

Williams coats it in amber. Great if you like to look at museum-coated nation-building dioramas, but it's almost anti-drama to score something this way now. There's too much wisdom in it, and every time it casts the tale in the past tense rather than as a set of actions that are happening (and still happening) now.

The other thing -- how did a film about this subject almost completely miss the potential to explore moral ambiguity? (Tommy Lee Jones' Thaddeus Stevens probably comes closest, but even that is simplistic. He gets to hold the amendment in bed the following night warmed by the glow of Williams' score, so his betrayal of conscience is pretty swiftly rewarded.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2014
    I was surprised that a film about such an important event (and interesting man) could be so dull. It's a very handsome film, no doubt, but curiously uninvolving. Williams's score functioned a bit like Amistad's, unsurprisingly. (That is not a compliment.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2014 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Lincoln: Film and score have one thing in common: They are brilliant. The film is one of the most captivating character studies I have seen in years.

yeah

You know what film blew goats? American Hustle! Utter trash!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. I agree with you there, actually. A bit too much attention went to 'acting' and 'costumery' in that film.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    I'll second that. The critical acclaim lavished upon American Hustle is one of life's greatest mysteries. Utterly mediocre in almost every way - other than the performances of Bale and Adams.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Really?
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Really?

I feel that Spielberg is not what he used to be, during the last few years, with the exception of TinTin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Just finished all 6 seasons of OZ. While the show was addictively good -- and unpredictable -- it was a bit on the misanthropic side. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love everything that goes against a typical Hollywood ending and such, but the amount of good people suffering or dying and the amount of antagonists surviving and gloating about it became a bit too much at some point.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2014 edited
    I saw 12 Years A Slave. A good film, though I think it suffered from the number of celebrity "cameos". I was happy up to the point Brad Pitt showed up to effectively save the day - then I found out he was a producer. It would have benefitted from more unknowns, though keep Fassbender who is always excellent.

I didn't see who composed the music but it sounded like a complete rip off of the theme from The Lone Ranger.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2014
    It's an OK film, for sure, but it pales compares to Steve McQueen's previous films, IMO. It's more Hollywood and glossy and the dialogue is at times VERY literary; very "written".
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Anthony wrote
    I saw 12 Years A Slave. A good film, though I think it suffered from the number of celebrity "cameos". I was happy up to the point Brad Pitt showed up to effectively save the day - then I found out he was a producer. It would have benefitted from more unknowns, though keep Fassbender who is always excellent.

I didn't see who composed the music but it sounded like a complete rip off of the theme from The Lone Ranger.

Hans Zimmer. And all that that implies...
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Oh for fucks sake.

I'm not sure whether that's hilarious or just disappointing.
  5. What was that whistling sound? It was just like something flying right over someone's head...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote

Hans Zimmer ripped off John Barry? Good man! cool

I don't like celebrity cameos either, always guaranteed to separate me from the film ( dare I whisper thin red line )
  6. The reason behind these cameos is somehow... interesting.

First, the studio gave Malick a list of film actors they wanted in the movie. Second, people just would come and go from the Australia set just to act SOMETHING for Malick, so he caved in and film them. A lot of very famous names (Mickey Rourke, namely) were cut anyway. Malick was very aware of a short part of someone like George Clooney possibly ruining the experience for people, but he somehow had to cave in. In fact there is a Clooney scene that was left on the cutting room floor.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  7. With those sort of stories in mind, I was impressed Ang Lee was allowed to reshoot Tobey Maguire's part in LIFE OF PI actually. (But maybe that bit of casting wasn't imposed from higher up.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2014
    I am sitting open-mouthed after the conclusion to the second season of The Bridge. Incredible show.
  8. I saw the Swedish-Danish-German co-produced original series. Outstanding!

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    I saw the Swedish-Danish-German co-produced original series. Outstanding!

Volker

And what makes you think the one shown on Brit TV is not the original series? wink
  9. Well, there is an US remake, isn't it? I indeed assumed that British TV would rather show an English language production than an Swedish one with subs. Or did you aquire a taste for dubbings over there lately?

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I never got around to that series, mostly because I don't really like crime shows and films.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Well, there is an US remake, isn't it? I indeed assumed that British TV would rather show an English language production than an Swedish one with subs. Or did you aquire a taste for dubbings over there lately?

Volker

Where did you get the ideal Brit TV dubs it's foreign imports? It's always been subtitles as far back as I can remember.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Indeed.

Interest in foreign (non-British, non-US) shows has certainly grown in the wake of The Killing. I note that a Belgian series called Salamander starts next week in the time slot vacated by The Bridge and I shall certainly watch that.

I also note that a third season of The Bridge is currently being written.

And finally I note that as well as the American remake (which I haven't seen) there was also a British/French remake of The Bridge, called The Tunnel (for obvious reasons); and that was surprisingly excellent.
  10. "Angel City" (1980)

I skimmed through a good chunk of it, intent of hearing Mark Snow's score, one of his earliest efforts, so my review is based upon what I saw. The score turned out to be enjoyable with many cues worth, in my opinion, hearing apart from the film; too bad there's been no release.

This made-for-TV movie is very strong. It's well acted, carefully written and it maintains your interest, if you enjoy films with a slow pace that pays off at the end.

Jared and his family are driving across the country looking fora new place to live and they drive threw this small town with farms, little shacks selling fruits, small stores, etc.; kind of a small-town America from an era almost gone.

He quickly finds work is hard to find until one shop owner thinks he can get him a job picking, since the regular farm owners only want experienced pickers.

Things seem to be going well; the owner gives him a job, lets him have a small hole in the wall to live with his wife and two children, and provides them with food. The only monious sign: he locks everybody in so they can't get out. Desperate for work, he agrees to that term.

It goes well until payday when the boss ads up his wages and Jared owes him over $400 dollars; for fees never in advance told to him, for the room, food, a fee for bringing him to the farm and putting him to work.

Hr quickly befriends Cy (Paul Winfield) and learns of brutal pistol whipping, stealing of children to keep pickers in line, and other torments.

Everybody is too afraid to stay. Everybody is too afraid to leave.

With fear of death and their children's death, people fall into line, with the aid of two of the boss' lackies (one played by the late Red West).

Even the song made for the film, sung by somebody named Billy Preston, isn't that bad at all (reserved for the end credits). You know 1970's and early 1980's television movies always had these songs made for them and often they were terrible, crummy, or just bland and unremarkable; it's actually a joke still alive today in some circles.

Not a bad acor I saw and over all believable done.

I'd say it's worth your time. You'll have to deal with a poor quality Youtube load, since it's not been released:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhlLu_bwivE
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2014 edited
    Southall wrote
    I note that a Belgian series called Salamander starts next week in the time slot vacated by The Bridge and I shall certainly watch that.

It was quite good although a bit slow. Conspiracy stuff. Probably not the same level as The Killing though but very well made I thought. Currently a new show is airing here, about WWI. The story is boring but it is so well done and beautifully shot. A pity about the story, a bit too much of a history lesson and not involving enough.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2014
    I love History lessons ( well, except for the incredibly dull Lincoln ), what's the show called?