• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Tom, I bought the Ernst Rudorff / Symphony No 3 CD on your advice recently and I like it a lot!
    Concerning those noir films you spoke about, I am afraid I can't add anything worthwhile.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2015
    Timmer wrote
    Does anyone know who's scoring this?

THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO

Gorgeous trailer music. Definitely a John Barry influence rather than Barry Gray without a doubt.

Miniatures are magic!

IMDB is saying Ben and Nick (?) Foster. Which is good news, as far as I'm concerned.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Does anyone know who's scoring this?

THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO

Gorgeous trailer music. Definitely a John Barry influence rather than Barry Gray without a doubt.

Miniatures are magic!

IMDB is saying Ben and Nick (?) Foster. Which is good news, as far as I'm concerned.

Yup!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Big Hero 6

I really wanted to like this one in light of its trailer. But it suffered from typical Disney trope: wacky sidekick characters who do and say oh-so funny things, who all look too perfect and for some reason have inexplicable superhero skills, complete with token black guy (all designed by a marketing committee), a super genius main character who's awesome and perfect and also has Street Attitude (for the kids!). Plus rock music for the action scenes... because that's cool!

They had the opportunity to make something almost as touching as How To Train Your Dragon, with a relationship between an outcast boy and a cute, non-human character. And for a while, I thought it might actually achieve that. The robot is very well designed, very funny and very likable - for about 10 minutes. Then they decide to turn him into Iron Man with lasers and rocket fists. Because that's what kids want to see. They don't want to see real emotion between a flawed character and a vulnerable-yet-heroic sidekick and watch the relationship develop through adversity. No, let's do away with any real danger or tension and make sure they're Super Awesome so we can sell some toys.

Fuck this movie.
  2. Evita (1996) - Alan Parker

I love this film about that quasi fascist polit princess. Gorgeous cinematography, astonishing performance by Madonna, not quite as good a performance by Banderas. Out of this world music by Sir Andrew. Great film.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2015 edited
    The Butler (2013)

The radical change in racial relations and emancipation as seen and lived through the life of a butler serving six American presidents (Eisenhower through Reagan). Tries to make some salient points about emancipation and racial equality, but using a jet-propelled jackhammer to hammer its points home. Overly sentimental and predictable in every way, the film never even comes close to a true insight or emotion. It wears out its welcome WELL before the end of its (seemingly interminable) 2.10 hour run.

The thing I took away from it most -and indeed on a meta-level, as I could not possibly understand the positive reports on this film (it really is quite poor dramatically, artistically and acting-wise)- was that Americans are still (and in many ways rightly and understandably) troubled by their (historic) race relations, and have a great deal still to work out. If films like these help, more power to them.
    But I don't really feel the need to wallow in another nation's national shame and hangups.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Steven wrote
    Big Hero 6

I really wanted to like this one in light of its trailer. But it suffered from typical Disney trope: wacky sidekick characters who do and say oh-so funny things, who all look too perfect and for some reason have inexplicable superhero skills, complete with token black guy (all designed by a marketing committee), a super genius main character who's awesome and perfect and also has Street Attitude (for the kids!). Plus rock music for the action scenes... because that's cool!

They had the opportunity to make something almost as touching as How To Train Your Dragon, with a relationship between an outcast boy and a cute, non-human character. And for a while, I thought it might actually achieve that. The robot is very well designed, very funny and very likable - for about 10 minutes. Then they decide to turn him into Iron Man with lasers and rocket fists. Because that's what kids want to see. They don't want to see real emotion between a flawed character and a vulnerable-yet-heroic sidekick and watch the relationship develop through adversity. No, let's do away with any real danger or tension and make sure they're Super Awesome so we can sell some toys.

Fuck this movie.

I remember seeing an early trailer for this movie where it concentrates on the goofy robot - and I remember thinking that that would be a film to look forward to because it seemed really quite funny and oddball. Then many months later I saw a second trailer when the film came out - and it looked like a completely different film: lost of annoying kids, not much footage of the goofy robot. I felt at this point that I had had a lucky escape avoiding it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2015
    Apparently I'd only seen the good trailer. It really is a shame, because Staypuft The Robot is really quite endearing (for those 10 minutes).
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Captain Future wrote
    Tom, I bought the Ernst Rudorff / Symphony No 3 CD on your advice recently and I like it a lot!
    Concerning those noir films you spoke about, I am afraid I can't add anything worthwhile.

smile Volker

That makes me very happy Volker. Two reviews upcoming this month are Bruckner's 4th, a live recording, and Enescu's 1st. I'm happy with both of them.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2015 edited
    Thank you to Mike H at FSM for making me aware of this.

I wasn't sure where to put this but this is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. ( so I put it in the Recent Viewing, JERRY GOLDSMITH and JOHN WILLIAMS threads )

trumpet player Malcolm McNab on working with Goldsmith, Williams, Herrmann etc...

For those who are impatient go to the 32 minute mark for the film music talk but the whole thing is great, this guy has great stories and is a fine raconteur.

I really like his 'big up' for Bruce Broughton too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2015 edited
    Jupiter Ascending

What is there to say? You'll love it when you do, and you'll hate it when you do. There is probably not much inbetween.

Personally, I don't get this negativity about it one tiny bit. I really, really enjoyed the movie. The set and spaceship design alone is worth your ticket. Twice. The action is fun and all, but really, the design. Geez.

Think about the story whatever you think. I thought it was good, a perfect buildup for more to come, an introduction to a crazy as hell universe where the more or less immortal nobility has lived so long they all got different forms of psychosis, which explains everything about Redmane's performance to me. Tatum is just adorable, Bean is Bean, and Kunis is the cute Damsel in Distress who learns a lot about herself and what she's capable of, as a human being, by the end. Which is way more important than a lot of other stuff people would have preferred her to discover.

Do I want to see more? Hell, yeah. If I have to pay in advance for the sequels to be made, I'll do it.

And the score? Well, let's just say, I repent. This is not only Giacchino's best score. It really made this movie soar above my expectations. That, and the design. God, I love the design. Did I tell you how much I love the design?

Now tell me this, are you really willing to dismiss the beautiful, fantastic work of hundreds of obviously gifted and brilliant artists because you don't like Tatum's pointy ears? That, my dear friends, is ridiculous, and nothing else.
  4. Thinking about it, I think I know now why Warner moved it to February. Most suspect that Warner was unhappy with the movie, but I actually think they cared a lot for it, which is why they moved it.

Originally, the movie would have come out very close to Guardians of the Galaxy, which would have resulted in endless - pointless - discussions about how Guardians is so much more fun than Jupiter, because that's what everyone was talking about regarding to Guardians.

But that's just it. Jupiter is not about fun. At all. As funny as some of its moments are (especially talking about a wonderful scene about the mechanics of galactic burocracy), Jupiter is about something else completely. I think especcially in regards to its world-/universe-building, Jupiter is FAR superior to Guardians, and that's what really stands out now, months after the Marvel movie. While I really loved Guardians for its humour and its place in the Infinity Saga, I think I will always regard Jupiter as the superior movie, because Jupiter gets a lot of things right which are slightly more important to me that the laugh-to-bore-ratio.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I really enjoyed Big Hero 6. I was rather surprised that it went down the superhero route because everything I'd seen in the trailers suggested some sort of relationship film between Hero and Beta Max. While I would have loved to see THAT story develop, I enjoyed the film nonetheless (GREAT ANIMATION... and I mean GREAT!) And Henry Jackman's score was fantastic. Yes, that same Henry Jackman who pooped out the smelly turd known as Captain America: The Winter Solider earlier in 2014. The film was a mix between How To Train Your Dragon and The Incredibles. Nothing unique but still very entertaining and my kids loved it... especially the first half of the film, which was the best part.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2015
    Erik Woods wrote
    I really enjoyed Big Hero 6. I was rather surprised that it went down the superhero route because everything I'd seen in the trailers suggested some sort of relationship film between Hero and Beta Max. While I would have loved to see THAT story develop, I enjoyed the film nonetheless (GREAT ANIMATION... and I mean GREAT!) And Henry Jackman's score was fantastic. Yes, that same Henry Jackman who pooped out the smelly turd known as Captain America: The Winter Solider earlier in 2014. The film was a mix between How To Train Your Dragon and The Incredibles. Nothing unique but still very entertaining and my kids loved it... especially the first half of the film, which was the best part.

-Erik-

Jackman's score was very okay. As for the film, I would say it had the potential to be a mix between How To Train Your Dragon and The Incredibles, but only got close for a few minutes (when Smart Ass discovers Baymax and has to follow him). After Baymax and friends were turned into action figures for children, the whole thing stunk.

Speaking of Jackman...

The Interview

Silly, but very enjoyable.

Also, when Jackman isn't "pushing the envelope" he's at his best.
  5. Steven wrote
    Also, when Jackman isn't "pushing the envelope" he's at his best.

Same goes for Zimmer, IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2015
    The Casual Vacancy

First part of a three-part BBC adaptation of JK Rowling's novel. Someone at work asked me if I had watched it and what it was about. I said yes I had watched it but had absolutely no idea what it was about. Really, really no idea.

Still, it's nice to see the great Michael Gambon in two UK tv series at the same time (this and the excellent Fortitude).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2015 edited
    The Legacy

I do wonder sometimes if these Scandinavian shows seem better just because they've got subtitles. This Danish one - which recently finished showing over here - was another good one. No murders this time, but lots of family infighting as children squabble over their inheritance from their mother. Was surprised to see it end on a cliffhanger, will eagerly await the next series (assuming there is one).

30 Degrees in February

And here's another one, Swedish this time. I think it's a few years old but it's only just started showing over here. This one follows a few Swedes who move to Thailand to start a new life, for a variety of reasons. Extremely promising start and a superb score, which I must buy (happy to see it on iTunes).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2015
    I watched University Challenge just now to see how well I could do against two university teams.

I think I should change my moniker to Dimmer.

Here's a clip from an episode back in 1980 with an unknown star everyone here will recognise wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2015 edited
    Southall wrote
    30 Degrees in February

And here's another one, Swedish this time. I think it's a few years old but it's only just started showing over here. This one follows a few Swedes who move to Thailand to start a new life, for a variety of reasons. Extremely promising start and a superb score, which I must buy (happy to see it on iTunes).

This is a great show -- one of the best Scandinavian series I've seen in years. I think it's pretty much a one-off, though (meaning there will be no subsequent seasons), but we'll see. It may suffer the same fate as another wonderful Swedish series -- REAL HUMANS (which is now being remade in the US).

The score is wonderful, and we did in fact receive a promo to IFMCA when the series was on (no longer available).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2015 edited
    BIRDMAN

A movie that is fresh, clever and often spectacular to watch. It is one long cut of great dialogue and impressive acting, where reality mixes with fiction. Lots of humour, especially laughing with the main character's doings but also drama, without becoming sentimental. Keaton, Norton but also Stone are all terrific. The 'improvised' drum solo score, sometimes interrupted with some classical music, adds a lot to the originality of the movie. A very fine two hours of cinema.

Has anyone else seen it?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2015 edited
    I have. Didn't really like it. Too 'unnerving' (I've always had an issue with films that are too 'full-on' in terms of frenetic dialogue, which is why I've never liked Woody Allen, for example), and the one-shot idea was neat, but quickly wore out its welcome. Of course, I did smile on a couple of occasions, but for me it was rather mediocre overall.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Southall wrote
    The Casual Vacancy

First part of a three-part BBC adaptation of JK Rowling's novel. Someone at work asked me if I had watched it and what it was about. I said yes I had watched it but had absolutely no idea what it was about. Really, really no idea.

Still, it's nice to see the great Michael Gambon in two UK tv series at the same time (this and the excellent Fortitude).

Michael Gambon in a JK Rowling adaptation? Man's really stretching himself there!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2015
    Thor wrote
    I have. Didn't really like it. Too 'unnerving' (I've always had an issue with films that are too 'full-on' in terms of frenetic dialogue, which is why I've never liked Woody Allen, for example), and the one-shot idea was neat, but quickly wore out its welcome. Of course, I did smile on a couple of occasions, but for me it was rather mediocre overall.

Oh, God, i am morphing into a Thor.

Didn't like it either. Heavy departure from Innaritu's trademared style i so adore (21 grams, amores perros, bable). Confused, messy, overrated. The drum score improvs, oh sorry, "Score", irritated the hell out of me and i only relaxed and soothed during the pre-recorded classical piece. Academy did fine to dismiss this for Oscars' eligibility but was so fun watching the whine and rants over at the net.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  7. I loved it Bregt. One too many endings for me, but that really is a small thing. smile
    It was quite funny seeing it a day after seeing a Broadway show in New York. Obviously the film has a magic realist touch, but the characters are more real than I would have imagined had I not been there.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  8. The 1996 film "The Paper Brigade" (sometimes "Gunter and the" is added to the beginning).

A kind of spoiled and lazy young teen and his family move to nice surburban neighborhood. The oddball kids want to befriend him, but he just feels he's above it. But when he needs cash, he agrees to take over a paper route for one of the kids who has to go away for the summer. He soon discovers delivery papers isn't the piece of cake he thought it would be.

I didn't go in with high expectations, epsecially with a shaky start and some over-rought acting by the lead, but I was plesantly surprised by how enjoyable the film was.

The main oddball kids have their own quickiness and personallities and fun to bounce off once another. It's nicely done, kind of in the way "The Sandlot" was.

The adventurous and fun orchestral score is by Ray Calcord. I don't understand why he doesn't get more work when he can deliver efforts like this. There's some fun suites to be made of this (it's on CD).

Worth checking out if you have some free time:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMVHkDcCnec
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2015
    As part of my review I watched Deep in the Darkness and the end did surprise me.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2015
    Event Horizon

The only worthy thing this awful director has done.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2015 edited
    Steven wrote
    Event Horizon

The only worthy thing this awful director has done.

I saw it once ( on video release ) and was unimpressed, I seem to remember it turned into 'Hellraiser in space'*, am I wrong and should I re-watch it? ( like the score though )

*I 99% don't remember the silly arsed Hellraiserwhatevernumber that actually did take place in space.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Probably not, no. But I enjoy it because it's a) spacey b) it has model special effects and c) Sam Neill. That's about it really.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    and 4) Laurence Fishburne.