• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Martijn wrote
    If they can film Prague and pretend it's Amsterdam, if they can film Tunisia and pretend it's Rome, if they can film Norway and pretend it's another planet, then they can ruddy well film Khalapur and pretend it's Dharmsala!

They can even film Tunisia and pretend it's Tatooine. Which it actually is smile
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2014
    Tataouine actually, if we're going to be perfectly accurate. But I won't tell if you won't tell. wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2014 edited
    Do you know what they call rats in Tunisia? Ratatauoine.

Amirite?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2014 edited
    You know what they call sausages made out of rats in Tunisia?
    Ratataouiners.

Hah? Hah?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    If they can film Prague and pretend it's Amsterdam, if they can film Tunisia and pretend it's Rome, if they can film Norway and pretend it's another planet, then they can ruddy well film Khalapur and pretend it's Dharmsala!

You forgot the old disused Quarry somewhere in England that doubled for a multitude of worlds in both Doctor Who and Blake's 7 and shitpolejesus knows how many other huge budget UK sci-fi series.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Steven wrote
    Do you know what they call rats in Tunisia? Ratatauoine.

Amirite?

I thought they called them womp rats? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No, grilled womp rats are called womp rump.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2014 edited
    Maleficent

Disney's first foray into radical feminist sexually ambiguous rape-revenge flicks for kiddies amazingly turns out to be rather boring.

Great score, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2014
    I watched it by proxy. Lord is it painfully mediocre.

Elle Fanning though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Peaky Blinders

1920s Birmingham pikey ruffians turning proper gangster-like.
    This is an excellent (and rather violent) series that currently fills the void the outstanding HBO series Boardwalk Empire is leaving. (It's very different to be sure: much more grimey and down and dirty -as you might expect from the North around that time-, but the eras and feel are comparable).
    The acting is overall excellent, even though Sam Neill's acting as an utterly morally corrupt crown agent is really broad (as is his "Oirish" accent).

Sadly each series is only 6 episodes, so it's all over in a flash and a bang, but don't let that stop you: there's more than enough happening to keep things very interesting! Storylines are clever, psychologically and logically sound and very well paced. The sets and set pieces are fantastic (LOVE the cars!) and CGI 1920 industrial Birmingham looks and feels every bit as black as it must have been back in the day.

The one beef I have with the series is its emphasis on anachronistic music: the oddly The Wire-like theme, by Nick Cave, is fine, but all the rest of the soundtrack is mainly grunge-like guitar rock that is utterly jarring and completely pulls you out of the mood.
    I get that using 20s popular music might have been "difficult" for modern day viewers (although Boardwalk Empire did just fine on that front!), and I honestly don't mind a modern sound (heck, Ennio Morricone westerns!), but used in this way it's just far too upfront and in your face to work as a background score.

I had the same problem with the otherwise rather good French cathouse series Maison Close, which went even so far as to use 21st century music as a diegetic source (with rap blaring from the vitriola in the Maison's lounge).
    Yeah, very gritty. And very stupid.

Oh, a sidenote on Maison Close: by all means seek out the first series, which is very moody, and very good. Series 2 is terribly uneven though and unsatisfying, without a proper conclusion. So best avoided.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2014
    I really enjoyed Peaky Blinders too but had the same problem with the music. Yeah, Nick Cave's tune is Down In The Hole.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    STAR WARS

Right, that got your attention.

At this time of year there's always some magazine with model parts to build, this year it's ...

THE MILLENNIUM FALCON

Looks great but these things are a ruddy rip-off.

...though the dark side is tempting me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2015
    Aye, it is. It is!! cry

...although when we're talking temptation I oddly keep on being drawn back to the TRUE OR FALSE thread...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2015 edited
    Martijn will get sucked in to prescribing to a BUILD THE MILLENNIUM FALCON magazine.

TRUE or FALSE ?

gods but I'm tempted...

YES... YES
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    From the FAQ:
    How much will each issue of Build The Millennium Falcon cost me?
    Issue 1 costs only £2.99/€3.50. The regular price of issue 2 onwards is just £8.99/€10.99

How many issues are there in the Build The Millennium Falcon series?

100 issues are currently planned for this series

That makes the privilige of assembling the ship worth just over €1000....
    However salivatingly good the finalised model looks, it's a VERY definite FALSE for me!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2015 edited
    Martijn wrote
    That makes the privilige of assembling the ship worth just over €1000....

How much?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Just watched Charlie Brooker's 2014 Wipe

Well worth catching up with on BBC 2 iplayer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2015
    Autómata

Visually stunning, it was particularly nice to see practical effects - but ultimately the narrative was bereft of much substance. (Thor's perfect film.)

Banderas felt a bit miscast too. On the score, it's fine enough. Though I can't say it's something I feel I need to hear outside the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2015 edited
    Steven wrote
    Autómata

Visually stunning, it was particularly nice to see practical effects - but ultimately the narrative was bereft of much substance. (Thor's perfect film.)

Banderas felt a bit miscast too. On the score, it's fine enough. Though I can't say it's something I feel I need to hear outside the film.

Actually, I found the film to be so-so. I liked the conceptualiztion and the production design. But it struggled in many other areas, including performances and narrative. For a film that STRIVES for narrative coherence, I EXPECT narrative coherence. It's different with films and filmmakers that prioritize other things.

Nice -- or weird, depending on how you view it -- to see Banderas' wife Melanie Griffith back on the screen again, what with all the plastic surgeries and everything.

Great score, though -- far better than the film it accompanies.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. This could be my score of the year!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2015
    It's not in my Top 10, but among the honourable mentions.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. You can't win, Darth. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

STAR WARS

It's been two or three years since I last saw this film. It's utterly brilliant in just every aspect. In just every singele minute of its duration. But, hey, I'm bringing coals to Newcastle here, ain't I? smile
    I was in the right mood tonight and the film captured me as it did a long time ago.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    You can't win, Darth. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

STAR WARS

It's been two or three years since I last saw this film. It's utterly brilliant in just every aspect. In just every singele minute of its duration. But, hey, I'm bringing coals to Newcastle here, ain't I? smile
    I was in the right mood tonight and the film captured me as it did a long time ago.

Volker

The last good film to be directed by George Lucas.
  5. Yeah, you see, I'm past that discussion. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2015 edited
    Because there is no discussion. It was the last good film Lucas directed. (And even then it was largely saved by the music and the editing in the end.)
  6. Sure, pal, sure ...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2015
    Glad you agree! beer
  7. Du hast recht und ich hab' meine Ruhe. beer
  8. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    You can't win, Darth. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

STAR WARS

Volker

The last good film to be directed by George Lucas.

FACT.