• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2014
    The very one. I seem to remember he was once attached to this project due to working with the director on Happy Feet? Or was that just wishful thinking on my part?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Could be. I have no clue about such comings and goings.

Still, as a fan of JXL's work (especially prior to his film work, but some of that too), I think and hope he'll deliver. How can you not, with such visuals?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    The new trailer for the new Mad Max film. I have to say, it looks... quite entertaining.

Yes! Looks very good.

I also seem to remember something about John Powell being involved or was that me just reading Steven's wishful thinking? uhm
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Could be. I have no clue about such comings and goings.

Still, as a fan of JXL's work (especially prior to his film work, but some of that too), I think and hope he'll deliver. How can you not, with such visuals?

Because it's Junkie XL.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. The composer history of that movie is really quite depressing. Started out as Powell, which would have been a fantastic new direction for his career, really something he'd never tried before. Then Christopher Young's name came up, which would have been awesome as well, of course - a big action-packed project with an edge of dark fun, that seems perfect for Young. Then it was Marco Beltrami, a more predictable choice perhaps, but still someone who would thrive in a Mad Max environment I think. And finally...Junkie XL. And yeah, I won't judge before I hear the score blah blah blah yeah whatever I mean COME ON. Look at those three composers who came before him. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2014 edited
    In many ways, I think JXL is a more interesting choice than any of those other composers, great as they are. The film looks so original in its staging that it probably benefits from a less conventional approach. I'm hoping for something metallic and percussive, perhaps with elements of melancholy a la Brian May.

Let's not become FSM where everything is automatically deemed better if it's old-school and conventional.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I doubt Powell, Young or Beltrami would have written a particularly "conventional" score for it, and I agree that a metallic and percussive approach would be well-suited to the story. I think Powell and Beltrami are two of the absolute best composers around for percussion. With Junkie XL, I fear that he'll interpret "metallic and percussive" into another 70 minutes of soulless Man of Steel drumming a la 300: Rise of an Empire. There needs to be something behind the drums in order to make the score compelling.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Let's not become FSM where everything is automatically deemed better if it's old-school and conventional.

Indeed. Though it does have more chance of being better if the composer is more talented. (He will hopefully surprise us, but given Powell's talents it seems a shame.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, I've always found JXL hugely talented, way back from the "A Little Less Conversation" remix days.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yes, and so are the Foo Fighters. That doesn't mean they'll write a good score. That said, he may surprise us. Then again, he might not. We shall see.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    What if John Constantine would have been Australian, and a barrister rather than a magician?

Watching the excellent Australian show Rake (the title alone is worth the price of admission) about an incredibly self-destructive loose cannon of an attorney, who has made an utter shambles of his life, and while trying desperately to exude a modicum of normalcy, pretty much only succeeds to drag people down into his black hole.

As bleak as it sounds, the show is extremely witty and funny, partially by the cleverly written, often offbeat legal dramas functioning, as in most legal TV series, as a canvas or mirror for the actually far more interesting human interaction, but mainly by some stellar acting!

Leading star Richard Roxburgh (I swear I've seen him before...but IMDB disagrees) is spellbinding in the lead role as Cleaver Greene, the titular 'rake'. He manages to make a very dark, self-obsessed, destructive, manipulative and overall not very nice person likely. There's no way NOT to empathise with him: he conveys all the pain, hurt and emptiness that is part of someone one the way down into a bottomless pit.

I am truly impressed by this series.
    I'm no expert by any means on the Australian TV scene (....yeah...Neighbours...Flying Doctors. That's it) , but if this is the level of quality they produce, I should have a far more indepth look towards the other side of the globe for quality entertainment!

The music, by Michael Lira and David McCormack, is not a notable presence, but offbeat enough to keep an interest. And some of the songs, mostly playing over the end credits, are outstanding!
    ...and unavailable if you don't live in Australia. slant iTunes will show them to you...but not allow you to purchase.
    Gee. Wonder why so many people turn to more illicit means. It really is to wonder!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. The only thing I've seen Richard Roxburgh in is his dreadful performance as Dracula in Van Helsing, which is perhaps my favorite bad movie ever. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'm saddened that Christopher Gordon wasn't given an opportunity to score Mad Max.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  4. There was a us remake of Rake with Greg kinnear, which might account for the iTunes block.
    Are you sure you haven't seen mi2? Roxburgh was in that
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. Weirder still, junkie xl has already scored the film. (Based on animatics for the film, probably a method miller experimented with on the Happy Feet films.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    I'm saddened that Christopher Gordon wasn't given an opportunity to score on Mad Max.

-Erik-

This would have been almost as exciting as hearing John Williams' new Star Wars score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2014 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    I'm saddened that Christopher Gordon wasn't given an opportunity to score on Mad Max.

-Erik-

yeah

Before a composer for The Avengers was announced I put my tuppence worth for Gordon to score it. There is very rarely any vision in anything Hollywood anymore.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2014
    fuck you, lazy ass motherfuckers.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    fuck you, lazy ass motherfuckers.

Shut up you sober assed twat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    punk
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    There was a us remake of Rake with Greg kinnear, which might account for the iTunes block.

Maybe...but why would the Australian music be blocked to Europe?
    Makes NO sense. sad
    Ah well. I'll do without.

Are you sure you haven't seen mi2? Roxburgh was in that

I did. That may be it!
    To be fair: I only remember a lot of explosions, but my subconscious may well have been triggered!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. franz_conrad wrote
    There was a us remake of Rake with Greg kinnear...

Ah, that's why I have found music for Rake by Patric Caird.

https://soundcloud.com/patriccaird
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2014
    The Equalizer

Very silly post-Scott Denzel action/revenge/Denzel-being-a-badass vehicle. I was willing to forgive it for all its cliches just to see Denzel doing exactly that... right up to the "Cool Guys Don't Look At Explosions" point. Then I switched it off.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2014
    Watching QI the other night and I realise Alan Davies is the least funny comedian since Pol Pot.

I don't know why it took me this long to realise this fact. sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Meow!

I like him. And I LOVE QI. The best episodes are generally the ones with David Mitchell, Bill Bailey and Phil Jupitus.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Watching QI the other night and I realise Alan Davies is the least funny comedian since Pol Pot.

I don't know why it took me this long to realise this fact. sleep

Yes, Alan Davies is rather irritating, but he has a good moment now and then.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yeah, he irritates me too.

I do love QI though. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    The best episodes are generally the ones with David Mitchell, Bill Bailey and Phil Jupitus.

True!
  7. My heart sinks when I see a QI featuring the likes of Ross Noble or Jason Manford.

Sandi Toksvig is usually quite entertaining.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn