• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2014
    I didn't watch much TV yesterday as I was busy cooking for four and listening to music in the kitchen. Later in the evening I watched one of my all time favourite films, ICE COLD IN ALEX, a deserved classic that never loses its appeal followed by the cheese board, port and 2010: THE YEAR WE MAKE CONTACT love

I was going to follow that with NIGHT OF THE DEMON but was too tired. I'm glad now because I'd rather do a whole night of classic horror and sci-fi, and we still have plenty of port and cheese selection left. drink eat lick
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2014 edited
    Timmer wrote
    I was going to follow that with NIGHT OF THE DEMON but was too tired. I'm glad now because I'd rather do a whole night of classic horror and sci-fi, and we still have plenty of port and cheese selection left. drink eat lick

What an absolutely delightful plan!
    I'm properly envious. :jealous:

Oh, and Southall is right about Star Wars and Williams.
    Fact.
    Absolute fact.
    People may have an opinion about it, but they're obviously wrong.
    Which is another fact.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2014 edited
    Southall wrote
    When people equate what Howard Shore did for Middle Earth with this, they're out of their minds.

punk

You speak the truth good sir!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2014
    Sorry guys but as much as I love Shore's work he really isn't in the same league.

Fact! No, really, FACT!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FRANK SINATRA: THE VOICE OF THE CENTURY

Well, the 20th at the least.

On BBC 4 right now. quality!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Okay, just saw The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies and I almost dreaded having to endure what people were saying to be a bloated, long winded battle flick. I know opinions vary here but for me I really enjoyed it. A nice pay-off for such a long journey. And emotionally engaging at last too!
  1. Southall wrote
    Star Wars
    This is brilliant. If I hadn't seen it so many times I probably wouldn't notice most of the nit-picks. John Williams provides the best "score what you see" film score there's ever been. When people equate what Howard Shore did for Middle Earth with this, they're out of their minds. I award this film five stars (out of five).

Howard Shore's Middle Earth scores don't come close to What Williams did with this film, I agree.

But I think Shore was more successful at providing a consistent musical sound over the 6 films compared with John Williams and his 6 films. But it is a bit of an unfair comparison because of the gap between the two Star Wars trilogies.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Agreed.

I know I'm not alone in wishing Star Wars could have had at least a predecessor to the Imperial March. The musical consistency between Empire and Jedi certainly elevates those films!

That said, I just rewatched Star Wars on a 53 inch uktra-HD screen.
    I didn't cry...but I came close a couple of times.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Even with the original trilogy, there's a difference in the musical tone in which the familiar (and new) themes are presented in between the film's.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    In between films? I'm not sure what you mean?
  3. Well, there is an "Imperial Motiv" in SWEIVANH. I'm glad they didn't insert the Imperial March in the Special Edition of 1997. I'm fine with almost everything they did back then but that musical change would have bugged me.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2014 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    SWEIVANH

WAE
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    SWEIVANH

Say SWEIVANH again, I dare you.
  4. Pavlov's dogs. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The name rings a bell.
  5. Martijn wrote
    In between films? I'm not sure what you mean?

In my clumsy way I was trying to highlight that I think there is a notable difference in the orchestration between the 3 original films that marks them out as separate.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    There was a guess the horror film music round in Pointless Celebrities tonight. Most people here would have got them

The themes were...

Halloween
    Psycho
    Nightmare On Elm Street
    Hellraiser ( the only pointless answer )
    The Exorcist ( Tubular Bells )
  6. Dawn of the Planets of the Apes (2014)

Those two hours flew by. The story is not terribly original (It felt a bit like a cowboys and indians western.) but it was well told. I liked how they hinted at the original film visually in many scenes and I loved the acting. Andy Serkins is a class of his own. The non-speech communication between the apes I found very impressive.
    If they manage to keep up that level they will have a real good trilogy on their hands.
    Giacchino's music was fine but did not stand out for me. This is a score I might someday buy on the scondary market but I will not buy it now.

Volker
  7. Captain Future wrote
    SWEIVANH

I doubt that acronym has ever been used to refer to that film (and for good reason).
  8. That promted me to google it and, yes it has. Mostly as part of web addresses it seems.
  9. Timmer wrote
    There was a guess the horror film music round in Pointless Celebrities tonight. Most people here would have got them

The themes were...

Halloween
    Psycho
    Nightmare On Elm Street
    Hellraiser ( the only pointless answer )
    The Exorcist ( Tubular Bells )

It took me a second or two for the out-of-context hearing of Hellraiser to come to mind. But 5/5 was secured.

Rachel and Anne got Psycho and The Exorcist.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2014
    Not bad. applause

I remember the winning team got Halloween that beat Psycho. But only just.
  10. We had a couple of movies those last few days, too...

The Muppets
    Great combo of nostalgia, feel-good-stuff, songs I was surprised to come close to liking, and a very wonderful performance by Kermit the Frog. What more do you want?

Lincoln
    Certainly not boring. Well-acted, impressively well even. In lesser hands, this would have been a train-wreck, but cast & crew are at the top of their game, so I´m very happy with the result.

How to Train Your Dragon 2
    Given that I already knew every plot twist this thing threw at me, it was a delight to visit Berk again, and not only because Powell outdid himself. Again.

The Book Thief
    *gosh* What a brilliantly depressing movie this is. I mean, it's great in all the right places. Superb acting, heart-breaking "twists", fantastic scenery, and a great Williams score, again. But it really sucked all happiness out of me for a couple of hours.

I have to say that I love the quiet Williams. His blockbuster scores are great, but I find it intensely fascinating how he's able to convey emotions with the slightest *plink* from a piano. Lincoln & Book Thief are drenched in score perfection.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2014
    Watching CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE 3rd KIND on Channel 5 right now. Just saw the sequence in Dharmsala in India, having been there I thought 'that isn't dharmsala'. Just googled it and the sequence was filmed in Khalapur about 400 miles south of Dharmsala. I think Spielberger made it Dharsala because the Dalai Lama lives there and it makes it more of a "cosmic" connection.

Thus endeth my boring lesson for today.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    If they can film Prague and pretend it's Amsterdam, if they can film Tunisia and pretend it's Rome, if they can film Norway and pretend it's another planet, then they can ruddy well film Khalapur and pretend it's Dharmsala!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Or indeed if Star Trek can change the colour of the background and have it be a different planet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2014 edited
    Aren't all other planets generally pinky-orange-ish?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    50% off framed print! You'd be stupid not to buy that! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    AND apparently lonely housewives are waiting for me IN MY POSTCODE AREA!
    Good heavens! What a wonderful day this is turning out to be!