• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2015 edited
    RV: Black Sails season 2

The "prequel" to Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island engagingly and believably mixes historic and fantasy pirates into a fascinating mix about treasure, betrayal, loyalty, backroom politics, intrigue and politics. Even better than season 1 (which I already loved), this season sets up a lot of the backstory behind captain Flint, and a lot starts falling into place. It's incredibly well scripted, and much more political than violent (as indeed was reality during the 'heyday' of piracy). In fact, most of the stuff that we see is historically accurate (so no, no undead pirates or flying ships in this series!).

The settings and production value are gorgeous, and BearMcCreary's score excellent!
    Some of the actors (yeah, looking at you, Hanna "pretty face, poor performance" New) apparently have taken some criticism to heart and went back for some acting classes, because the quality of the acting is overall noticeable better!

This is a very clever and engaging series, with some fantastic set pieces and several excellent plot lines. No problem in harharheartily recommending this, matey!
    (Sorry. shame Just had to.)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. 1. The Terminator
    2. Terminator 2: Judgment Day
    3. Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, which isn't much good, but at least feels like a Terminator flick until that horribly botched ending. No fate but what we make, my ass!
    4. Generic Boring Future War Movie Salvation

Haven't seen Genisys yet, was debating going, but on second thoughts, I think I'll hold off until I can catch it online or as a rental or something.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2015
    Thor thinks it's a masterpiece. What more do you need to know?
  2. Martijn wrote

Rise Of The Machines was just ridiculous with a villain about as menacing as a cuddly kitten. (Seriously guys, if you're gonna do a Terminatrix, instead of popping silly eye-candy like this maybe rather try for something like this to be effective?).
    Really, the only thing it got right was setting the world up for destruction again.

Hey! A Klingon-Terminator would be quite a crossover. Imagine Skynet against the Borg! wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Urgh. Keep STAR TREK out of this, please.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    My reference was merely the mesomorphic body type.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. I know. biggrin
  4. T2 - T1 - T3 - T4.

Haven't seen Genysis and I don't really want to. But it has Arnie so it's required viewing.
    I like Rise of the Machines a lot, the main chase sequence is almost as awesome as anything similar Cameron helmed. Also love the humorous bits in this.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2015
    Cordon

A rather silly but rather enjoyable Belgian series in which an area of Antwerp is cordoned off because a virus is on the loose there. Irritating after ten episodes that it didn't conclude in any way and who knows if or when the next season will be shown.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Apparently the second season was greenlit, so should be expected next year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Good! Mind you, I'll probably have forgotten what happened by then and spend much of the second season in bewilderment as to who is who.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Humans

I watched all of this British series (a remake of a Swedish one I think) about an alternative present with human-like robots acting as servants, and a group of them developing "humanity" - but after an intriguing start (helped by a gorgeous actress playing the main robot) it descended into very familiar territory and it was hard to care what happened. And... again... it just didn't end. Second season on the way next year. Not sure I'll bother.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I thought the start was utter shite. How you managed to stick with it for the second episode and beyond is... well... beyond me. I cannot stand this sort of British drama. I can't stand most British TV, save for panel shows and nature documentaries.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Great British comedies ( The Inbetweeners, Peep Show etc ) but you have to go back quite some way to find good stuff in a serious vein ( Traffic... good as the film was it isn't a patch on the original Channel 4 show and the sublime House of Cards which I intend to watch again this week )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    In terms of dramas, I loved the first season of Broadchurch (the second not so much - but it was still more than watchable). Fortitude was decent. The Tunnel was very good, albeit a very faithful remake of the Danish/Swedish show The Bridge. Banished (early convicts making a life in Australia) was good. I can't remember liking any others for a while.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Great British comedies ( The Inbetweeners, Peep Show etc ) but you have to go back quite some way to find good stuff in a serious vein ( Traffic... good as the film was it isn't a patch on the original Channel 4 show and the sublime House of Cards which I intend to watch again this week )

These would probably appeal to me even less. I mostly hate the way British dramas are filmed, so flat and dull. Few just seem to be able to get it right like the Americans do...has a British TV show ever looked as good as Breaking Bad? And yet the Brits film the most beautiful nature documentaries. I don't get it...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    I mostly hate the way British dramas are filmed, so flat and dull. Few just seem to be able to get it right like the Americans do...has a British TV show ever looked as good as Breaking Bad? .

Good GOD, man!
    When British drama is good (and there's SO much that's SO very good it blows EVERYTHING else out of the water! US outings like Breaking Bad and West Wing (and to a lesser extent The SHield or The Wire) are the exceptions rather than the rule.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    True Detective

I tried, I really did, but am giving up on the second season just as I did with the first. Don't see what everyone else seems to in this - so relentlessly miserable and I have no desire for that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Cordon

A rather silly but rather enjoyable Belgian series in which an area of Antwerp is cordoned off because a virus is on the loose there. Irritating after ten episodes that it didn't conclude in any way and who knows if or when the next season will be shown.

Been anxious to check out this.

Humans

I watched all of this British series (a remake of a Swedish one I think) about an alternative present with human-like robots acting as servants, and a group of them developing "humanity" - but after an intriguing start (helped by a gorgeous actress playing the main robot) it descended into very familiar territory and it was hard to care what happened. And... again... it just didn't end. Second season on the way next year. Not sure I'll bother.

The original Swedish series, ÄKTA MÄNNISKOR, is absolutely fantastic and one of the best television shows ever produced in Scandinavia, IMO. But I've been reluctant to check out the remake (I thought it was American, not British?) for several reasons -- one of which is obviously that I presume it's basically the same story.

I also have to echo what Martijn says above -- when British shows are good, they outshine pretty much everything, and there's still some great stuff coming out of there every year.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2015 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    I mostly hate the way British dramas are filmed, so flat and dull. Few just seem to be able to get it right like the Americans do...has a British TV show ever looked as good as Breaking Bad? .

Good GOD, man!
    When British drama is good (and there's SO much that's SO very good it blows EVERYTHING else out of the water!

Really? Like what? uhm
  5. Thor wrote

Humans

The original Swedish series, ÄKTA MÄNNISKOR, is absolutely fantastic and one of the best television shows ever produced in Scandinavia, IMO. But I've been reluctant to check out the remake (I thought it was American, not British?) for several reasons -- one of which is obviously that I presume it's basically the same story.

I watched the Swedish show when it was on TV here some month ago and I too thought it was very good.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

Good GOD, man!
    When British drama is good (and there's SO much that's SO very good it blows EVERYTHING else out of the water!

Really? Like what? uhm

Examples, asshole! angry

I am willing to have my mind changed. I mean, it won't happen... but I am willing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    A couple of examples from recent years: DR. WHO (the Davies era, not so much the Moffat), IN THE FLESH, BEING HUMAN, JEKYLL, MISFITS, OUTCASTS, THE FADES, TORCHWOOD, SHERLOCK, PENNY DREADFUL (co-prod. with US), STRIKE BACK (co-prod. with US), THE OFFICE, just to mention some.

Was never a big fan of costume dramas or crime shows (of which we show plenty here in Norway), but I can see the quality in them too -- especially over the US counterparts.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Dr. Who is shite, I don't understand why it's so popular, especially with American audiences. Being Human was okay. Misfits is shite. Touchwood is shite. Sherlock was okay, I've only seen the first episode, but it wasn't for me. I prefer the US Office. The rest I haven't seen, and have no intention of seeing.

I hate British TV.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ha, ha...I gather.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    In the interest of fairness, I do think Top Gear, just about any BBC science and nature programme, travel programmes (even the occasional ITV one) and various comedy panel shows are some of the greatest things ever broadcast in any country. The Brits do non-fiction better than most.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Agreed. But I like a lot of the fiction stuff too. Norwegians are very British-centered in their cultural orientation -- as mirrored, in particular, in the schedule of our state-owned broadcaster. Perhaps more than any other non-UK country in the world.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I prefer the US Office.

Really!??
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    They done plugged you in all wrongz Stewie!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    I prefer the US Office.

Really!??

You're not looking at the whole pie in the right...size.....keyhole. Really. Stew.