• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2015
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    I prefer the US Office.

Really!??

Absolutely. The British one is certainly more original, and probably cleverer. But the US version had more heart, and although it trailed off a tad in the last few seasons, there was much more room for characters and relationships to develop.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Examples, asshole! angry

I am willing to have my mind changed. I mean, it won't happen... but I am willing.

Really? shocked REALLY?
    Where to even begin...
    Jonathan Strange
    Broadchurch
    Ripper Street
    Foyle's War
    Line Of Duty
    Wolf Hall
    Banished
    Peaky Blinders
    The Fall
    Luther
    Shameless
    Misfits
    The Thick Of It
    Law & Order UK

...and that's just off the top of my head and just the last THREE FUCKING YEARS or so.
    I haven't even SCRATCHED the CLASSICS yet!!! Wait 'till you get me started on House Of Cards, Life On Mars, fucking I Claudius, man! The bleedin' PHYSICAL RELIEF I feel when I switch over from ferschlugginer Dutch TV (where acting has never left the late 19th century stage: to indicate any kind of emotion speak rapidly and really, really LOUDLY) to a UK show...man, I swear it's palpable!

But yeah. Downton Abbey is shit.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2015 edited
    Steven wrote
    But the US version had more heart

The only US entertainment that properly has more heart was Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    Examples, asshole! angry

I am willing to have my mind changed. I mean, it won't happen... but I am willing.

Really? shocked REALLY?
    Where to even begin...
    [British stuff]

Yeah, no. None of those, from what I've seen at least (and I doubt those I haven't would change my mind since it's the style of British drama that leaves me cold), come close to the enjoyment I get out of Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, The Walking Dead, Six Feet Under, Game of Thrones, Community, Silicon Valley, Daredevil, Bloodline, House of Cards, Louie, Fargo, Mr. Robot, Mad Men, Homeland... to name a few. For starters, all these look so much more handsome than almost all British filmed dramas. The BBC seem to save their best equipment for nature docs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    Examples, asshole! angry

Really? shocked REALLY?
    Where to even begin...
    [British stuff]

Yeah, no. None of those, from what I've seen at least (and I doubt those I haven't would change my mind since it's the style of British drama that leaves me cold), come close to the enjoyment I get out of [American stuff]

Wow... your level of dislike for UK material seems to be on par with my own for Dutch shi...shows.
    I would almost guess there's some sorty of psychological cultural selfloathing mechanism at work here...except the Dutch really, honestly, truly CANNOT act.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I forgot Wolf Hall. Wonderful.

And when it comes to comedy, I think my patriotic feelings are justified.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    By Jove, Sir, I will hoist the Union Jack and stand proudly at your side as we sing 'Jerusalem'
    And burn Stewart for a heretic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Wow... your level of dislike for UK material seems to be on par with my own for Dutch shi...shows.
    I would almost guess there's some sorty of psychological cultural selfloathing mechanism at work here...except the Dutch really, honestly, truly CANNOT act.

I think you may be exactly right. I realise my hate/dislike for most things British seems a little... disproportionate. If it's set in Britain, filmed in Britain, it tends not to interest me. Comedy, on the other hand, seems to by pass this cultural selfloathing mechanism.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I think this is fairly common. I don't care for any Norwegian TV productions at all (no, not even the celebrated LILYHAMMER), and don't see what all the big hooplah is concerning other Scandinavian shows -- like those crime things. I tend to steer towards British or American shows -- or once in a while, a foreign show from other countries, like the fantastic LES REVENANTS -- surely one of the best shows I've seen since TWIN PEAKS.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    Examples, asshole! angry

Really? shocked REALLY?
    Where to even begin...
    Jonathan Strange
    Broadchurch
    Ripper Street
    Foyle's War
    Line Of Duty
    Wolf Hall
    Banished
    Peaky Blinders
    The Fall
    Luther
    Shameless
    Misfits
    The Thick Of It
    Law & Order UK

...and that's just off the top of my head and just the last THREE FUCKING YEARS or so.
    I haven't even SCRATCHED the CLASSICS yet!!! Wait 'till you get me started on House Of Cards, Life On Mars, fucking I Claudius, man! The bleedin' PHYSICAL RELIEF I feel when I switch over from ferschlugginer Dutch TV (where acting has never left the late 19th century stage: to indicate any kind of emotion speak rapidly and really, really LOUDLY) to a UK show...man, I swear it's palpable!

...and Ashes To Ashes.

Going further back and off the top of my head....

Boys From The Blackstuff
    Edge of Darkness
    The Singing Detective
    The Naked Civil Servant
    Prime Suspect
    Our Friends Up North

And more recently Happy Valley ( superior IMO to the overhyped Broadchurch )

And yeah, Downton Abbey can fucking do one.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Traffik... good as the film was it isn't a patch on the original Channel 4 show

Stew, I don't know if it'll float you but this brilliant, compelling and sublime series is available to watch on Channel 4 On Demand, six episodes in all filmed on location in Britain, Germany and Pakistan.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Let's just agree that British shows are immensely different from US shows and therefore certainly not for everyone (like the other way around). There is certainly a concensus about which shows from both sides of the pond are simply brilliant, but style is still an issue. As a fan of US television shows in general, it took me a long time to actually get into British drama, but once I did, I embraced it like fresh air, and nowadays I enjoy both because of their differences.

It gets problematic, though, when US studios think they need to adapt British shows for American audiences. It almost never works, Broadchurch <--> Gracepoint being one of the most recent failed attempts. Only if a remake embraces what makes US television different from British television, you get such jewels like both versions of Being Human. If I may... they both drink blood for sustenance, but they feed on very different people. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Agreement? Nah, that's boring.

Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

Stew, I don't know if it'll float you but this brilliant, compelling and sublime series is available to watch on Channel 4 On Demand, six episodes in all filmed on location in Britain, Germany and Pakistan.

You'd have to have me at gunpoint before I watch an old British TV series. (I'm sure it's good, but chances are it ain't for me.)
  2. Oh, there were some British shows I loved to watch back then:

- Upstairs, Downstairs (yes, really). Maybe that's why I like "Downton Abbey" these days.
    - Catweazle
    - Robin of Sherwood (of course)
    - Monty Python's Flying Circus (of course)
    - The Persuaders
    - Remington Steele
    - Space: 1999 (!!!) love
    - Thunderbirds and Stingray
    - The Tripods

And probably some others that don't come to mind now.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

You'd have to have me at gunpoint before I watch an old British TV series. (I'm sure it's good, but chances are it ain't for me.)

from 1999, old? suicide

Oh well, may your next choice of viewings not be a waste of time.

Personally I'm going to watch TRAFFIK again tonight cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    What Steven is saying, and apparently Martijn too to some extent (although I can agree with him too wink ), is similar to what I think happens here too. In Belgium most people "look down" on Flemish tv series. They're boring and not inventive. But I think we have made some impressive series over the past few years. Ancienne Belgique, In Flanders Fields, ... Perhaps one cannot be proud of it enough. I'm like that toot though.

I haven't seen as many British series like some of you, but the latest, Broadchurch, was very good.
    Kazoo
  3. Currently on zdf-info German TV is this BBC documentary about the Roman emperor Hadrian. I have seen it before. It uses some classical music as "Hadrian's Theme". If someone in Germany might care to take a look and identify it for me?

Volker

I found a Polish dubbed clip of the film. The music starts at 1:28.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

from 1999, old? suicide

Ah, well. I thought it was 80s. Still, even 1999 TV looks very aged, more so than movies. I think we're in a Golden Age of TV at the moment.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2015
    Steven wrote
    I think we're in a Golden Age of TV at the moment.

That is the only thing I agree with you on.
  4. Having finished Humans recently, I must say I loved it.

It got better with every episode, tensions rising everywhere, with lots of great drama moments between human and synth protagonists in the later episodes. Sadly, the last one left a lot to be desired. With its focus on the events and the developing story, it strangely missed the opportunity for even better dialogue and great moments. But I'll certainly return for Series 2.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Me, I'm just bummed that the original Swedish series seems to be cancelled (after its second season a few years back), and the chances of it getting back on track now with the remake, are even slimmer than before.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. I never saw the original. I was aware of its existence, but never came around to watch it. It's sad for its fans when it got chopped before its time...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    'Humans' (assuming we're talking about the recent Channel 4 one?) had a great premise, as do most things concerning AI - but it was executed in the worst way possible. I'm sure the fresh-out-of-media-studies 20 year olds who made it loved the dull, sullen tone exemplified by the boring lead actors, but this sort of thing has been done a million times better elsewhere... even quite recently with Ex Machina.

It might have been slightly bearable had they not got a sound designer to write the "score". Truly awful. (I'm only referring to the first episode, because that's all I managed. But the first episode set the tone; and it was shite.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2015 edited
    They got the sound designer to write the score? I hate that stuff; it's become somewhat of a sorry trend in Norway too. People seem to assume that the sound designers -- brilliant as they may be in that department -- somehow also know how to write music.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. And that's how Trent Reznor gets hired! HE-YOOOOOOOO!!!fireworks fireworks applause
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I know you're joking, but Reznor is a great musician. I doubt he would know anything about sound design (at most the basics, like all film composers).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    They got the sound designer to write the score? I hate that stuff; it's become somewhat of a sorry trend in Norway too. People seem to assume that the sound designers -- brilliant as they may be in that department -- somehow also know how to write music.

Well, to be honest, I have no idea. But it might as well have been 'written' (designed) by a sound designer. I'm all for sound design in scores, especially Breaking Bad, but not this insipid, thoughtless wallpaper. It's the 'fuck it they won't notice' approach to scoring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought you were talking about the actual sound designer. That's the trend I don't like. I don't mind composers who nurture a more sound design-like score, as long as it has musical values (musique concrete-style, for example).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That's my point. It might as well have been written by a sound designer. I can't even imagine you liking this.
  7. Never underestimate what Thor does and doesn't like. wink

And yeah, if the big ol' fireworks didn't give it away, I was joking - a common insult people like to toss at scores they don't like is that it's "just sound design", and while I certainly don't like Reznor's music, it's still music.