• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2015
    I watched Tomorrowland. The film is pretty entertaining (if not terribly ambitious) for its first 2/3s but fails to deliver a satisfying climax. Disappointing, in the end. Giacchino's score is spectacular and salvages entire scenes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    First episode of the new Dr Who series.

W...w...w..what? shocked cry
    Bloody hell...

I was impressed. Great opener

Absolutely. Best season starter since....well, since the reboot (and quite, quite grim!).

[spoiler]Oh, and neither do I smile .[/spoiler]
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. I thought that there was about 20 minutes of a good story in Dr. Who but, as usual, there's far too much being crammed into the episode. The Doctor with his guitar was just cringeworthy. And I nodded off a couple of times during the Davros-Doctor scenes.

And when are the Daleks going to just realise they are never going to win and just retire?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I thought that there was about 20 minutes of a good story in Dr. Who but, as usual, there's far too much being crammed into the episode. The Doctor with his guitar was just cringeworthy. And I nodded off a couple of times during the Davros-Doctor scenes.

You old grumpy!
    It was a fantastic episode that held my interest throughout and I loved both the guitar [spoiler]and the tank.
    The Master is back to old 'Saxon' form (utterly, deeply disturbingly mad), the mood of the episode was truly eerie in old 'pre-reboot' style, and the spin on that old philosophical potboiler "if you could travel back in time, would you kill baby Hitler?" was just excellent!

Incidentally, did anyone else catch they were on Skaro well before the reveal because of the prison design?
    Or am I showing some particularly geeky qualities here?
    yeah. OK. Don't answer that.
    [/spoiler]

Very, very good gambit for the new season, and I'm more excited than I've been since Ten left!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It was not a bad episode -- certainly not in the Moffat canon (which I tend to dislike) -- but I agree with Alan in these endless attempts to cram as many elements into a 40-minute episode as possible. Wish we could get something a little more focussed.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Timmer wrote

I saw EVEREST earlier todaty.

The reviews I read have been middling but I really liked it, I do wonder if I've filled in some gaps in the story telling as I know this story so well ( some of you here know that I was at Everest Base camp only four months after events portrayed in the film ), I felt a connection with the characters and loved the accuracy of the geography, everything other than shots on the peak ( never been there spin ) are absolutely spot on and it was good to know that there was a lot of location filming, so authentic I was right back there in many scenes. I found the final scenes of the film very moving.

I was mostly too engrossed to notice Marianelli's score except for when the group made the summit where the music really stood out, great piece.

I agree, not sure why it's received such tepid reviews. I saw it last night and thought it was terrific. I was engrossed throughout, found it very moving and thought it tapped into that crazy part of the human psyche that pushes us to do such insane things.
  3. FalkirkBairn wrote
    I thought that there was about 20 minutes of a good story in Dr. Who but, as usual, there's far too much being crammed into the episode. The Doctor with his guitar was just cringeworthy. And I nodded off a couple of times during the Davros-Doctor scenes.

And when are the Daleks going to just realise they are never going to win and just retire?

I just rewatched The Doctor's new adventure and I have to say that I must have nodded of for more of this than I thought - there were a lot of things that I had missed.

It was a lot more enjoyable the second time and, although I still think that there were too many things packed into the episode, it was good to see them make some time for the slower-paced Clara-Missy, Doctor-Davros discussions.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2015 edited
    I still do wonder how Davros is alive, though? Hasn't he been killed off several times in the series' run?

Same goes for "Missy", who died in the last season. I wonder who she is supposed to be? An incarnation of Rani? That would be cool -- I don't think she has been portrayed in the WHO reboot yet. Would be a fitting tribute, since Kate O'Mara passed away last year.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2015
    Saw Jurassic World. It was pretty entertaining, paper-thin characters but lots of dinosaur mayhem, which is why we're all watching it. The score didn't do much for me on disc but it's very effective in the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    I still do wonder how Davros is alive, though? Hasn't he been killed off several times in the series' run?

And he'll be killed off again. Definitively. Irrevocably.

Until the next time. smile

Same goes for "Missy", who died in the last season.

Aaaaah, but it was suggested that she DIDN'T die (as was indeed pretty clear already from last season's finale when it was pretty obvious she used the teleporter rather than was blasted. Poor brigadier. sad Even in death he is ineffectual.).
    While completely expected, I *did* like the suggestion that [spoiler]the Doctor knew she wasn't dead and had been lying[/spoiler]!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Josh B wrote
    Saw Jurassic World. It was pretty entertaining, paper-thin characters but lots of dinosaur mayhem, which is why we're all watching it.

The end made it for me.
    Great dino tag team effort!

The score didn't do much for me on disc but it's very effective in the film.

Agree completely. Really nice and rousing in the film. Away from it...well...just nothing much going on (although I really like the theme ride tracks!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Jurassic Yawn was pretty terrible. These films are getting worse and worse and worse with each new chapter. BTW, I'm a Lost World and JPIII sympathizer. And the score is such a utter disappointment. Besides the Raptor March I didn't find anything memorable or interesting.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    JURASSIC WORLD isn't terrible and can be enjoyed for its own sake, as an entertaining romp.

However, when compared to the previous films (an inevitable comparison), it fails considerably on many levels. In fact, I "deconstructed" these flaws in my review on Montages (which none of you can read, because it's in Norwegian):

http://montages.no/2015/06/energisk-men … sic-world/

One of its failures was the music, but that's pretty much given, given my view on Giacchino. Loved the Williams cameos, though.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The Williams cameos were worse than the original score.

And I wasn't entertained by the movie whatsoever. It bored me. I didn't give a flying fadoo about any of the cardboard characters or the 20,000 other people on the park threatened by cheap looking CGI Dino's.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. So this film sufferers from sequelitis? I'll probably enjoy it immensely. wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    (which none of you can read, because it's in Norwegian):

You underestimate the power of... GOOGLE TRANSLATE!
    And yeah, I pretty much agree with everything you write.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Too many call backs to superior films. And not one genuinely suspenseful moment a la T-Rex attack or Raptors in the Kitchen from the first film or Sarah's Rescue from the second.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    The Williams cameos were worse than the original score.

I loved them. The opening sequence when they enter the park, in particular, gave me goosebumps galore -- more to do with the power of recognition than the actual sequence, perhaps, but still. It seemed edited perfectly to the synch points of Williams' theme. Also loved the small hints of the themes throughout. A rare glimpse of pleasure in an otherwise dire action score.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    And when themes like that are forced into a score I vomit The only time I think the original JW themes work was when the boys entered the old Jurassic Park building. The cameo of the four note horn "fanfare" was really well done actually. A nice subtle nod.... until the full playing of the theme when the boys walked around and touched stuff to remind the audience that a better dino film was made 22 years ago.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Didn't feel that forced to me, because it was edited so elegantly. Like a music video.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    But it wasn't. Listen to the score. The transitions from the new score to the old Williams material is ridiculously jarring.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm talking about the film editing in that sequence, synched to Williams' theme, not the music editing from old to new (which I agree felt a bit jarring).
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    Too many call backs to superior films. And not one genuinely suspenseful moment a la T-Rex attack or Raptors in the Kitchen from the first film or Sarah's Rescue from the second.

I thought the entire Indominus Rex enclosure sequence was pretty suspenseful. Not a patch on the first one, obviously, but a decent scene nevertheless (until fat guy dies because fat people deserve to die for being such fat fatties).

It is quite incredible to observe how little CGI seems to have advanced in the 22 years separating Jurassic Park and Jurassic World, though. The latter looks a bit more polished but it's not, like, light-years ahead or anything (and the use of the CGI is far, far superior in the original). That film holds up almost uncannily well!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    and the use of the CGI is far, far superior in the original

I presume you mean its integration with the practical effects of animatronics.

Though mind blowing at the time there are a number of CGI shots that look very "blancmange", particularly obvious in the Brachiosaur sequence.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

I thought the entire Indominus Rex enclosure sequence was pretty suspenseful. Not a patch on the first one, obviously, but a decent scene nevertheless (until fat guy dies because fat people deserve to die for being such fat fatties).

Ha, ha...good point. Fat people always die.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Well, this all is pretty much like the Jaws series, isn't it? These are formula films and you can make only so much variations until it gets boring and ridiculous.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  7. Timmer wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    and the use of the CGI is far, far superior in the original

I presume you mean its integration with the practical effects of animatronics.

Yeah, that: using CGI when it's most appropriate and practicals when they are. The general less-is-more approach, as well; one or two raptors in that film are far more effective and memorable than the whole flocks of pteranodons in JPIII and World.

Timmer wrote
    Though mind blowing at the time there are a number of CGI shots that look very "blancmange", particularly obvious in the Brachiosaur sequence.

A bit, sure, but still! For over two decades they're looking pretty good. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    It is quite incredible to observe how little CGI seems to have advanced in the 22 years separating Jurassic Park and Jurassic World, though.

It's advanced leaps and bounds, but it's become (in many instances) a crutch rather than a tool. Jurassic World seems not to fair as well to Jurassic Park than one might think, given the amount of years separating them, simply because there's too much CGI in it. It's "CGI-World".

Had Jurassic World been made shot-for-shot in 1992/93, ignoring any practical limitations of the time, you'd soon notice how limited technology was at the time (relatively speaking).

(and the use of the CGI is far, far superior in the original).

Exactly. I think there's a total of 4 and half minutes of CGI? Its impact is in no small part due to its brevity.

light-years ahead

Don't ever say that phrase again. It's stupid.
  8. sorry shame
  9. The Core (Jon Amiel, 2003)

Deeply sorry! silly disaster flick that's a bit like Jules Verne as rewritten by Michael Crichton in about three days. Load of old bollocks really but entertaining nonetheless, with an amusing turn by Stanley Tucci and one surprisingly gripping death scene in the form of [spoiler]Serge[/spoiler]. Perhaps the biggest disappointment here are the effects, which are surprisingly shoddy for a film that came out a decade after Jurassic Park - and there's not much creativity in the depiction of the center of the earth.

Main reason for watching this is Christopher Young's extremely robust and entertaining score, which lends heft to the entire thing, although there seemed to be quite a few differences between film and album. For instance, the electronics seemed far more prominently mixed within the film...odd.