• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2015 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Plus the fact he could also 'slip' to the dark side rather easy

Yeah, that's the message and point of the scene: he's not ready to face Vader in any way, shape or form.
    His defeat is almost inevitable.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2015
    Martijn wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Plus the fact he could also 'slip' to the dark side rather easy

Yeah, that's the message and point of the scene: he's not ready to face Vader in any way, shape or form.
    His defeat is almost inevitable.

Plus, of course, foreshadowing the fact that Luke is Vader's son.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah

I like that sequence in the film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm... convinced. You've convinced me.
  1. Airport (1970)

I saw they offer it on amazon fire and I decided to give it a run. I don't think I ever saw it before. Fine film. Great score by Alfred Newman.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2015
    Just came back from my second viewing of STAR WARS, and it was even better this time around. One of my favourite films of the year.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Saw The Force Awakens earlier and enjoyed it. Not "blown away" by it and it left me with mixed feelings about it. Loved most of the references to the original trilogy but - as with most films of today - it was just too busy.

And I think that the same can be said for the music as well as the film itself. Kylo Ren's motif is the most memorable part of the "new" score with Rey's theme my least favourite part. Most of Williams' action scoring didn't really stand out at all. Williams' original themes tended to be the highlight of the score - with one moment in particular bringing a tear to my eye.

The Force Awakens is likely to make my Top 10 list for the Sci-Fi list, predominantly as a result of the power of the original themes and their use. Now off to relisten to the score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2015 edited
    Interestingly, I felt Kylo Ren's motif was the least interesting and Rey's theme the best by far. But I do agree with you in regards to Williams' "whimsical" action music. Didn't do much for me (although I did enjoy the Resistance fugue/march thing). The appearance of the original themes were mostly great -- and also gave me a throat lump or two in certain scenes -- but there were also times where I felt they were too forced or in-your-face.

I also didn't feel the film was too busy. Yes, it's energetic, but in a good way, and it has great dynamic between calm and upbeat. The only times I wish they slowed things down to reflect for a more extended period of time were [spoiler] the destruction of Coruscant and Han's death[/spoiler].
    I am extremely serious.
  3. I just wish - and this is a more general comment about action scoring in films in general - that filmmakers wouldn't try to fit in as much action on-screen as they possibly can. One of the things I loved about the older films was that the action sequences "soared" more than today. The action during "Ben's Death and TIE Fighter Attack" and the Last Battle were exciting but there was a choreography about the ships that was beautifully realised.

In The Force Awakens some of the X-Wing manoeuvring during the battle scenes just didn't look physically possible.

Also, anyone who is familiar with The Teletubbies can't really take any reference to Poe (Dameron) in the film seriously.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. [spoiler]I don't think, that Coruscant was destroyed. The capital was located elsewhere.[/spoiler]
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2015 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    [spoiler]I don't think, that Coruscant was destroyed. The capital was located elsewhere.[/spoiler]

Well, it's being debated all over the internet. Abrams is VERY ambigous on that point, and clearly intends for people to believe [spoiler]it was Coruscant (even if it may not have been), especially with that look-a-like establishing shot of the city about to be decimated.[/spoiler]
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2015
    Glad to see spoilers lads, I still haven't seen it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You
    still
    haven't
    seen
    it?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Once all the kids have fucked off back to school I'll be there. For someone who gets murderous just waiting in a queue I'm unbelievably patient in other aspects of my life wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I haven't seen it, but I'm not bothered about spoilers. In fact, I already know them. Spoilers are overrated.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You know NOTHING, Jon Slow!
  5. I thought all Englishmen were meditative masters in standing in queue.
  6. You know what? The prequels and Jedi are my kind of Star Wars. The more I think about TFA the more I deem it the weakest SW film I've seen so far.
    Don't bother.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I thought all Germans were cultural masters of taste and sense.
  7. I like the prequels, but I'm confident TFA will be a return to form (to what made the OT so awesome), judging from what I've read.

And yes, I won't be seeing it on the big screen. I can be even more patient than Timmer.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  8. Yeah, for me Star Wars always was chiefly about awe and wonder. I think the prequels did a fantastic job in terms of mythology and world building. The military thing was always secondary to me as is the humour which I often find cheesy. That goes for all seven films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    You know what? The prequels and Jedi are my kind of Star Wars.

That is why you fail.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

Indeed they are, especially when it comes to Rock & Roll
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote

Ah, yes.
  9. Jupiter Ascending (2015)

Everything about this film seems convoluted: The story is convoluted with people. The action scenes are convoluted with details, so you are never quite sure where to look at.
    This, the aesthetic overflow and the gargantuan film music by Giacchino results in a pseudo-gravitas that is in stark contrast to the story that is as chaotic as it is unoriginal. (Chosen One; Beauty and the Beast; Aliens eat humans).
    The acting is as decent as is possible under such conditions.
    The best way to appreciate the film is to relish in Giacchino's music while taking in the eye candy and not giving a damn to what's going on.
    The aesthetics of the film are brilliant: Star Wars prequels meets steam punk. And there is even a nod to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. (Which make no sense at all and takes you right out of the story.)

smile Volker
  10. Captain Future wrote
    The acting is as decent as is possible under such conditions.

shocked

I'm not sure if I've ever seen or heard of an immediate post-Oscar performance as utterly batshit incompetent as Eddie Redmayne in that movie. Truly the most glorious part of a gloriously stupid film in all the best ways. biggrin

Oh, and:

Captain Future wrote
    The action scenes are convoluted with details, so you are never quite sure where to look at.

Says Mr. The-Prequels-Are-True-Star-Wars. wink
  11. I actually like Radmayne in this film. (His mother-hang-up back story is crap though.) He reminds me of that evil fellow from 5th Element. Indeed JA seems to have drawn quite some inspiration from 5th E. . Another film that I need to revisit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2016
    Fifth Element works because it's self aware just how silly it is. This doesn't, and Redmayne's whisper-led performance just comes off as cringe-inducing. (And I can't stand his feminine face. It irks me.)
  12. Self irony is something that JA is clearly lacking, yes indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2016
    JA ist NEIN.

Jupiter Ascending was one of the more insepid (although I honestly I can think of none that I saw that were in any way properly empowering, innovative or intelligent) entries into the new wave of the 'young woman warrior fantasy' trend of young adult films, where the girl gets to be both princess and hero, strong and sensitive, and of course always gets her guy.

Luckily this too will pass, to be replaced by something even less palatable, I'm sure.

I did like the look (which indeed immediately evoked the 5th element).
    Redmayne tred that fine line between laughable and cringeworthy with a deftness that suggests he doesn't give tuppence about his future career.