• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2016
    Captain Future wrote
    Yeah, for me Star Wars always was chiefly about awe and wonder. I think the prequels did a fantastic job in terms of mythology and world building.

The prequels didn't even manage believable CGI, leave alone worldbuilding. Leave ALONE mythology. LEAVE ALONE awe and wonder.

May they -rightfully- be relegated to a historical footnote for those students of Star Wars who have enough zeal, drive, time, energy and masochism to be interested in some mostly irrelevant back story to a proper epic.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    There's everything awe-inspiring and wonderful about midi-chlorians, CGI Yoda and fake looking CGI sets.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Mad Max: Fury Road

Camera apparently located in a tank of orange juice. Please make the music stop. Please, please make the music stop.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2016 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Yeah, for me Star Wars always was chiefly about awe and wonder. I think the prequels did a fantastic job in terms of mythology and world building.

The prequels didn't even manage believable CGI, leave alone worldbuilding. Leave ALONE mythology. LEAVE ALONE awe and wonder.

May they -rightfully- be relegated to a historical footnote for those students of Star Wars who have enough zeal, drive, time, energy and masochism to be interested in some mostly irrelevant back story to a proper epic.

This is probably old news already but...

Disney are white slavers

Methinks George is a wee bit bitter at the super success of his baby minus his input.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Mad Max: Fury Road

Camera apparently located in a tank of orange juice. Please make the music stop. Please, please make the music stop.

One of the best films and scores of the year!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I didn't mind the score so much on album and it was clearly the right approach for the film, but needed someone more competent to execute it. Slightly spoiled the otherwise fine film for me.
  1. Southall wrote
    it was clearly the right approach for the film, but needed someone more competent to execute it.

Exactly this. Defenders of this score are always all "what did you expect, John Williams, it's Mad Max, it has to be chaotic and drummy" - well, yes, but can it not be chaotic and drummy in a way that's also of musical value and doesn't just put the same rhythms on loop for two hours?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    That's not really why it excels, and it's a rather reductive way of describing it. It's because of Miller's unique approach to the film -- basically one long car chase with rust, metal, flames and dust. It's executed more as a Rammstein concert, and the music has to adher to that. It's rather sophisticated, actually. And I haven't even mentioned the glimmers of David Lean-ian beauty, with JXL channing LAWRENCE OF ARABIA-like, wide-open melodies. Fantastic score, and although it was not in my Top 10, it was one of the runner-ups.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    JXL channing LAWRENCE OF ARABIA

Oh dear, this'll go down with James like a house on fire! lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Fifth Element works because it's self aware just how silly it is. This doesn't, and Redmayne's whisper-led performance just comes off as cringe-inducing. (And I can't stand his feminine face. It irks me.)

Redmayne is fucking TERRIBLE in Jupiter Ascending. So terrible. The whole thing blows goats except for Giacchino's brilliant score, some of the effects work and production design.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    JXL channing LAWRENCE OF ARABIA-like,

One of the funniest fucking things I've ever read.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Not at all. It's quite apparent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnYefYYLCpQ
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Senator, I listened to Maurice Jarre. I knew Lawrence of Arabia's music. Maurice Jarre's work was my companion growing up. Senator, this is NO Maurice Jarre.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    *sigh*

Never said it was. I said it tapped into Lean/Jarre territory in certain scenes -- like the one above. It seems to be a rather clear "ode" from Miller, and JXL followed suit. Those rare moments when it wasn't just full-on percussion and stuff (which I also love, btw).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote

lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Have you seen the film at all, Erik?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Mad Max? Yes, half a dozen times!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Jesus christ. Don't you get sick of films after the third viewing in such a relatively short space of time? You're mental.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

lol

So glad this can be discussed in a civilized, grown-up way. Makes the whole discussion so much more interesting to follow. #closestheboardagain
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2016
    Civility is overrated.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2016 edited
    Steven wrote
    Jesus christ. Don't you get sick of films after the third viewing in such a relatively short space of time? You're mental.

Not if it's Mad Max Fury Road good! I've seen Ex Machina 4 times. I'd see The Force Awakens everyday until 'til the end of its theatrical run if I could afford it. I remember seeing How To Train Your Dragon and Tron Legacy half a dozen times with in... oh... a month.

-Erik-

PS - Just so we stay civil here... lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Crikey. I can manage 1 viewing per year; 2 maximum if it's a new film. If it gets to a third, perhaps if someone is watching it, it starts to lose its appeal. I can't imagine watching something 6 times in one year! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It depends on the movie. There is so much going on in Mad Max that each time I watch it I view it for a different reason. The 2nd time was to just catch up with what I missed in the theatre. The 3rd was the listen to the outrageously loud mix at home with my own set up. That helped but I've never heard music and sound effects battle each other so much like I witnessed in Mad Max. It's not a good mix. The fourth was with friends. My son watched it with me the 5th time and the 6th was just because I have nothing else I wanted to watch.

There you go... 6 times.

-Erik-
  3. As Joe Dante said: Mad Max Fury Road should have been titled "A 70 year old director shows the little boys how it's done".
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    All this said, I've only seen it once... and that was when it was released. dizzy So I could certainly go for another viewing. Still my top film of the year (along with Sicario and The Martian).
  4. We seem to have a similar list, Steven. I'm glad I watched Sicario in a good mood (day or two earlier it'd probably make me crave cutting myself).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I love the posters too
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    *sigh*

Never said it was. I said it tapped into Lean/Jarre territory in certain scenes -- like the one above. It seems to be a rather clear "ode" from Miller, and JXL followed suit. Those rare moments when it wasn't just full-on percussion and stuff (which I also love, btw).

Sorry Thor, but I don't hear any of this "tapped into Lean territory" in the score. It's a lovely piece and it owes something classical that I can't quite put my finger on. There's certainly a Georges Delerue vibe but nothing Jarre about it at all.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's not Lean, It's not Jarre, it's not Delerue, it's not lovely.
    There is some desert, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Junkie has admitted that his inspiration for the string work was Bernard Herrmann.

-Erik-