• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Southall wrote
    Dickensian

Tried one episode. Didn't like it. Nice idea but too many characters, no real idea what was going on a lot of the time.

I'd like to see a full-blown attempt at a Kingsian that brings together characters from Stephen King.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Stephen King does that himself already. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2016
    HATEFUL EIGHT yesterday, a 70mm screening for the press here in Oslo.

Well, it's an OK film. I've never really disliked anything by Tarantino. But it was still rather underwhelming compared to what I had expected. I thought it would be a THE THING-like isolation drama with more silence to let us soak up the atmosphere. Instead, it relies heavily on dialogue that FEELS very written (not surprising, given it's Tarantino, of course) and less exploration of the surroundings and the place.

The first act (before the intermission) is far better than the second, IMO. I loved the opening titles, with those gorgeous vistas in 70mm and Morricone's cool music (as his own name pops up on screen, there's a sudden crescendo in the music).

Speaking of Morricone, I'm not totally sold. Yes, there's some intensity in the Kilar-like minimalism (reminscent of suspense music from THE UNTOUCHABLES) that is appropriate for the scenes in question, but at times it becomes grating. It's not a Morricone I generally like -- neither on album or in film.

Film: 3 out of 5
    Music 2 out of 5

(PS. I just want to point out that I think INGLORIOUS BASTERDS is a bonafide masterpiece and the best thing Tarantino has ever done. Just in case you think my slight disappointment in this is representative of my Tarantino view in general).
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill Vol. 1, Inglorious Basterds : the most brilliant.
    Reservoir Dogs, Jackie Brown, Kill Bill Vol. 2, Death Proof, Django Unchained: the close to being brilliant.

Have not yet seen the new one.

Tarantino is a top 5 director for me. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2016
    Going Clear

The Scientology documentary. My jaw dropped, dropped and dropped some more. I knew they were nut jobs but not the extent of it. Just wow.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2016
    Southall wrote
    Going Clear

The Scientology documentary. My jaw dropped, dropped and dropped some more. I knew they were nut jobs but not the extent of it. Just wow.

I want to see this. Is it on line somewhere?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I guess so. It was on Sky a few weeks ago (after being delayed for many months because the jolly old Scientologists tried to block them showing it) - I recorded it but only just got round to watching. I honestly didn't realise how bad the thing is, I thought it was just another group of idiots with silly beliefs, didn't realise the actual physical and emotional harm being done to people. Some of the Tom Cruise footage is genuinely frightening.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I don't have Sky so I'll have to wait.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    All beliefs should be respected, of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Going Clear

It's on Netflix!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    All beliefs should be respected, of course.

I, of course, agree 100%
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Going Clear

It's on Netflix!

-Erik-

Never used it. Do I have to pay?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Going Clear

It's on Netflix!

-Erik-

Never used it. Do I have to pay?

Yeah. $8/month. Well worth it... especially since we gave up cable 3 years ago. We also have Unblock-Us for $5/month, which gives us access to every country on Netflix.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thanks Erik beer
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Going Clear

It's on Netflix!

-Erik-

Can't find it... I looked on the US, UK, Belgian, and Canadian.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Can't find it... I looked on the US, UK, Belgian, and Canadian.

https://flixsearch.io/movie/going-clear … -of-belief

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2016 edited
    OK thanks, this is weird, because when I use the 'search' function of netflix (US) nothing comes up.

Edit: No way to watch it here... the movie's stuck in limbo (Cruise made it so). biggrin

Will try again later.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Because it's not available in the US. You need to switch your country to one that does have it. The countries are listed in the link I provided.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2016 edited
    Right, hadn't noticed the flags. I can now see the details about the film but no way to watch or add it to my list. The play function seems disabled. confused

I'm telling you, the Tomster is behind it.
  5. Southall wrote
    Going Clear

There was a book written about three or four years ago by somebody who managed to escape after realizing the mistake he or she had made. As I recall, the person managed to slip out (they wouldn't let him leave) and they chased him down in SUV's and tried to run him off the road. Thankfully a police car joined in and stopped them. And when the escapee told them where he'd come from, the officer's face changed and he immediately undetstood and saved the person. Apparently this wasn't the first high-speed chase where they tried to kinap or run a person off the road from that complex. And then the details of how they would brainwash people...
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  6. Battlestar Galactica (1978)

The feature film, that was released theatrically in Europe. It's the pilot and the first episode slightly re-edited. Man, does this film look dated when compared to STAR WARS. Yet the basic story is good enough, the cast is great and so is the score. I love the star ship design, the battlestar, the vipers, the Cylon raiders and the Cylon base star. You can't show this to youngsters today but for me it is still fun to watch. The opening monologue still makes my spine tickle:

There are those who believe that life here began out there, far across the universe, with tribes of humans who may have been the forefathers of the Egyptians, or the Toltecs, or the Mayans. Some believe that there may yet be brothers of man who even now fight to survive, somewhere beyond the heavens.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  7. For someone who just watched the new series recently and loved it to death, will the original be even watchable?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2016 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    For someone who just watched the new series recently and loved it to death, will the original be even watchable?

For me there will always be the nostalgia value but when it came out I couldn't stop seeing all the Star Wars knock-offs, it was that obvious to everyone. I have no intentions to watch it again, the music is first rate though.
  8. Into the Woods

The songs frustrated me from the beginning, but it took a while until the story started to frustrate me too. This is one of those films that gives you no satisfaction when you realize you spend 2 hours on "just this".

arghhhh

4 out of 10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2016
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Into the Woods

The songs frustrated me from the beginning, but it took a while until the story started to frustrate me too. This is one of those films that gives you no satisfaction when you realize you spend 2 hours on "just this".

arghhhh

4 out of 10

I tried to watch it last year, but had to give up after about 30 minutes. Glad I didn't "force myself" through more.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2016
    Bridge of Spies

It met expectations. A competent and effortlessly stylish film with a typically un-unwatchable performance from Hanks, plus a very good -albeit relatively little screen time- turn from Mark Rylance. Though it's not something I'm likely to return to any time soon, this is a very solid film with a master of his craft doing his thing. (The plane crash made me yearn for another Spielberg action film.) Great cinematography too! Perhaps the best I've seen this (last) year.

Newman's final piece of music really does bring the whole thing together quite effectively.
  9. My favorite bit from Bridge of Spies was actually the very beginning of the film. No music, barely any dialogue, a tense sequence told purely visually. If I remember correctly it's Spielberg's first (though there he had a great Williams score to boot in that scene) since E.T.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2016 edited
    Steven wrote
    Great cinematography too! Perhaps the best I've seen this (last) year.

This I disagree with. It's too polished. Kaminski can be great... Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, Minority Report... but some of his lighting choice look utterly fake. Real amateur hour. Some of it reminds me of the poor lighting during Spalko's introduction in Crystal Skull < Talk about another atrocious looking Kaminski shot movie.

Back to Bridge of Spies... there is one particular scene... I think it is the "Standing Man" scene in the prison. The blown out light coming out of the window is so bad that a 1st year college student would never shoot something that bad. I'm also SICK of Spielberg shining lights into the lens. Desk lamps, over exposed outdoor light, etc. I miss the days when his films didn't look so desaturated and phony.

Cue Thor's rebuttal.

Again, Kamnski can be great... War Horse has its moments... but it also had some horribly fake looking lighting as well. Most of the open field scenes during the beginning of that film look terrible. The auction scene as well looks like it was shot on a sound stage. Ugh!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2016
    A tad harsh perhaps, but each to their own. I think it looked gorgeous. The blueish, cold tones of Russia were a thing of beauty.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2016 edited
    Also, given your various complaints, I think we could make our very own Erik Woods meme... biggrin