• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. yeah

(O, that's always great at the beginning of a new page. angry )
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Captain Future wrote

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2014 edited
    Agreed.

To whatever came before.
    dizzy
  3. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Captain Future wrote

biggrin

It looks like you agree with the ceiling. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2014
    Martijn wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Guys, Science Fiction isn´t just aliens, warpdrives and lightsabers. Science Fiction is literally fiction centered around certain scientific aspects, including all possible non-nature-based sciences like Sociology. Gravity is as much SciFi as is Orwell´s 1984.

Well, that's a very broad definition of science fiction.
    I think the more generally accepted one is not that it's fiction with a science edge (in that case U-571 could very well be considered science fiction! smile ) , but rather that science is employed that may or may not be feasible some time in the future. (I.e. the emphasis is on the fiction of science, not the combination of science+fiction as two concepts more or less haphazardly thrown together).

Nailed it. The phrase 'science fiction' is a genre, not merely a description. Gravity is a thriller, which just happens to have a science-based edge, as you say. Sci-fi films generally take ideas from science, and create something far beyond our current capabilities.

And then you could argue that there are categories of sci-fi. So, for example, Star Trek falls squarely into 'sci-fi', whereas Star Wars could I suppose be referred to as 'science-fantasy'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah

To Martijn (and Steven) you listen.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. A long time ago ... I read Brian Aldiss' Billion Year Spree where he goes to great length discussing what is and what is not science fiction. He proclaims Frankenstein to be the first genuine sifi novel and he has some good points to back up his thesis. Still, at the end of the day this really isn't much more then geeky pseudo philology. But it's fun.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Indeed!

I agree totally with Martijn but I was also correct, GRAVITY is sci-fi: Science fact plus fictional characters in a fictional but plausible story. Pedantic? Moi? wink

And yeah Steven, STAR WARS is science fantasy.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    but I was also correct, GRAVITY is sci-fi

dizzy
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    In the very literal sense Erik. rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's all non-fiction if you have faith.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    It's all non-fiction if you have faith.

applause angelic
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    In the very literal sense Erik. rolleyes

:flyby: lol beer

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I just finished watching the remake of Mighty Joe Young with the kids. What a highly entertaining film with a superb combination of CGI and practical effects, which garned a very well deserved Academy Award nomination. Great cinematography and a criminally underrated score by the master James Horner. Even if this film isn't on your radar you should watch it just to hear Horner fantastic score in context. I was a blubbering, sobbing fool during the climatic carnival rescue sequence and that had a lot to do with Horner's spot on music! And "Dedication and Windsong" should have been nominated for an Oscar for best song.

What a great way to spend a few hours with the kids. They loved the movie, too, which I think had quite an emotional impact on my son as well. A saw a few tears. smile

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah

Very underrated I think. The film has real heart and like you say, this is in no small part due to Horner.

Windsong truly moves me. love
  5. Demetris wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    That's why I don't even call Gravity a scifi film. It's science fact really.

FACT!

-Erik-

Bollocks.
    http://www.spaceanswers.com/space-explo … right-too/
    https://ksj.mit.edu/tracker/2013/10/gra … ausibility
    http://ideas.time.com/2013/10/02/astron … s-me-down/

Etc.

Are you people for real? Sci-fact?

It's not any of these. It's a survival-themed action movie that takes place in space. How is it different to survival stories like THE IMPOSSIBLE, or ALL IS LOST, or THE PERFECT STORM, or THE GREY? It's just set in space. If we had to link it to any high concept genres other than 'action movie', then 'myth' would be a good pick. It is very much a modern myth of reawakening to life. (And in that sense, has an overlap in ideas with Children of Men and Y tu Mama Tambien.) Any of this physical impossibility stuff being thrown at it could apply equally to any action movie with outlandish physicality (i.e. all of them).

The science fiction film nominated for Best Picture this year was HER. A love story-scifi hybrid, and a projection of our world into a possible outcome, to comment on a present trend. CHILDREN OF MEN was a sci-fi story. A projection of our world into a possible outcome, to comment on a present trend. PROMETHEUS, while laced with the horror genre (like its forebears), is much the same.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2014
    franz_conrad wrote
    The science fiction film nominated for Best Picture this year was HER. A love story-scifi hybrid.

yeah
  6. Steven wrote
    At its best, it's serviceable. For that reason alone I think it deserves the ridicule it's received.

So a serviceable score isn't an average score, it's a no-stars shite score?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. Captain Future wrote

I don't think it's science fiction but I wouldn't call it science fact either.

For Clooney and Bullock to survive the debris storm they went through without even a single suit nick? Believability was lost for me right there!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. If we disregard the way this score is orchestrated, if we disregard the scoring techniques applied, if we don't pretend that 90+ orchestral philharmonic leitmotiv music is the non-plus-ultra once and for all superior standard of film scoring, then this score deserves 2 to 3 stars according to personal taste.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Captain Future wrote

I don't think it's science fiction but I wouldn't call it science fact either.

For Clooney and Bullock to survive the debris storm they went through without even a single suit nick? Believability was lost for me right there!

The jetpack rides were the funniest for me.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  9. So much so, that it took you out of the film?
  10. Captain Future wrote
    If we disregard the way this score is orchestrated, if we disregard the scoring techniques applied, if we don't pretend that 90+ orchestral philharmonic leitmotiv music is the non-plus-ultra once and for all superior standard of film scoring, then this score deserves 2 to 3 stars according to personal taste.

Volker

That feels like the first of five conditional statements in front of a Clemmensen review.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Steven wrote
    At its best, it's serviceable. For that reason alone I think it deserves the ridicule it's received.

So a serviceable score isn't an average score, it's a no-stars shite score?

I guess "serviceable" can only be referring to its use in the film, whereas all the no-stars shite reviews are not.
  11. Either that, or the fact that the album's best parts are merely serviceable, when really one should hope that "merely serviceable" (rather than ear-splitting pain) would refer to an album's worst parts.
  12. Guys, can we discontinue this now, please? There was a reason I started the whole thing here, which was that I´d seen the movie and wanted to exchange opinions with others about that and how we would rate the score within the new context.

I understand that most people are frustrated about the score as a stand-alone listening experience and that they want to share their negativity at any given opportunity, but personally, I think this topic is not suited for that. I also understand that I started the whole mess by asking for it, but if I wanted to discuss the score as a separate thing, I would have joined your discussion in the composers´ or the Now Playing thread.

I´m really just looking for discussing this with anyone who has seen the movie, but I´m tired of defending it against people who have no idea what I´m talking about or why the score gets to me in combination with the movie experience.
  13. Well, I haven't seen the movie yet. I am genuinely curious to see how the score works, and certainly I'll get back to you here if I feel like my opinion of it is changed or radically different or worth commenting on at all. smile

The problem I encounter, though, is kind of an ironic one. As a film score fan, I no longer think I'm very well-suited to judge how well a score works. The more I listen to film music on album, the less I'm able to really judge it in film. Hence a score could be really over-the-top and distracting, but since I'm paying more attention to the music anyway (and likely really enjoying it for exactly the reasons that it's distracting), I won't notice. Likewise the music for The Winter Soldier is probably "serviceable" in film, but I won't be able to really judge that either because all I can think about is how bland and/or awful it sounded to me away from it.

Does that make sense? dizzy
  14. That's why I almost always buy a score after I've heard it in context. If I can still remember it after a week it becomes a candidate. There are exeptions from that rule of course.
  15. Makes perfect sense, which is why I do the same thing as the Captain. I rarely listen to scores anymore before I´ve seen the movie IF I plan to see the movie very soon. Sometimes, I can´t resist, but I almost always rate a score upwards after I´ve seen the movie, rarely downwards.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2014
    justin boggan wrote
    I watched the walthrough's of the new "South Park: The Stick of Truth" video game.

Great fun. Very much like the series.

Some surprises:
    We find out where Mr. Hat has gone to.
    It appears a character is kileld off ([spoiler]Clyde[/spoiler]).
    And an appearancve by Chef.

Somebody put together a video that consists mainly of just the scenes that tell the story (cutting game play), for those interested.

All the voice actors, producers, animators, composer, etc., have done this game. It's wild, it's involved, it's gross, it's got Manbearpig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUWmE6uw_DI

"Baaalls!!!"

Great stuff, Justin, thanks! Haven't had time to watch it all yet, but it is indeed 100% South Park. Hilarious!

Peter biggrin