• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2014
    I've had the FLATLINERS boot for ages, and appreciate it a lot. OK, maybe not all of the suspense cues, but when it gets going, it REALLY gets going. Deserves a proper release.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2014 edited
    Wrong thread, sorry.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Having seen Captain America 2 yesterday, I realise how much my opinion on modern filmscoring is so completely opposite to yours, guys.

I can find nothing wrong at all with Jackman´s score. It works extremely well both during the movie and as a stand-alone listening experience. The film is a modern spy/suspense thriller with a completely out-of-fashion superhero as its main character, which is exactly why it works: Only a character like Steve Rogers could fight this specific fight. It´s a great movie, and the score is a great as well, doing a modern take on what Captain America should feel like these days. I can´t imagine how ridiculous the whole movie would have been with an approach more adhering to classic scoring.

The fact is, Jackman does pay homage to those times, during scenes where Rogers´ past is being remembered, but he contrasts it with a modern, completely fitting sound that stands for the modern era Rogers finds himself in, and the nightmares this era has created for the people living in it. With the Winter Soldier sound symbolizing the completely inhumane machinery of destruction, surveillance and killing - he easily reminds me of a mindless drone given orders by someone far removed from the actual fight - the picture is complete, and it is only when Captain America takes a stand against what´s going on that the score adds that heroic sound that I as a European can easily identify as a kind of modern american heroism sound, that all elements come together and rise both the movie and the score to its mind-blowing levels.

What´s at stake in Captain America 2 is much, much bigger than what we´ve seen in The Avengers, because it seems much more real and not too far removed from what IS actually going on, and I really wished there was a character like Steve Rogers who would fucking stand up and say, "STOP!" right now to the idiocy that seems to have taken over world and security politics these days. And I wished he would come with a score like that.

Great movie, great score. Watch it, then return to the track "Captain America". If you still don´t get goosebumps by those ethereal chorals at the final moments by then, I believe, IMHO, you are too biased to be able to actually listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2014
    I liked the score wink Haven't seen the movie yet, thanks for the insightful review.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2014 edited
    You´re welcome. It´s not really a review, because if I write one, it would just become a noisy rant about politics and organisations influencing politics, so I´ll leave it at just this: I think the movie takes what´s going on out there and gives it a face that seems a bit too far removed and kind of ridiculous at first, but if you know only a little bit about what certain people and companies are willing to do to people all over the world, you´ll be able to make the transition very easily. Watching - and listening to - "Captain America - Winter Soldier" will only adhere to the feeling of helplessness that´s already crawling up your back for living in a world where superheroes won´t save the day when it comes... and it will come. There´s no "if".
  2. Regardless of whether it matches the film or not, I think Jackman's score makes for a completely dreadful album, by far the least palatable I've heard for a major tentpole action film in recent memory. Like I said in a recent post, I think the idea of pitting an orchestral identity for Cap vs. an electronic one for the Winter Soldier is a good one, but I think the execution fell absolutely flat.
  3. Fair enough, we´re all people with different tastes. I´m just astonished that so many of you think it sucks. I´m glad to hear that Demetris likes it, at least.

But maybe you can return here after you´ve seen the movie and tell us how your opinion has or hasn´t changed since then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2014
    I like it too -- especially those tracks that aren't standard RCP fare. I think the slaughter it's received is absolutely ludicrous.

No big fan of Marvel or superhero thingies, but I'll probably see the film down the road.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Not sure about "ludicrous", all I know is I listened to it and deeply, deeply disliked it, and the standard RCP bits were the best parts. *shrug*
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2014 edited
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I can´t imagine how ridiculous the whole movie would have been with an approach more adhering to classic scoring.

Did Die Hard and Lethal Weapon (modern films at the time) suffer from having a 90 piece orchestra (classic scoring ie: "Hollywood Blvd Chase) Nope. You can do classic 90 piece orchestra without sounding "ridiculous."

BTW, saying that a score matches or fits the film is stating the obvious and is irrelevant to me because 99% of scores work in their films. I want to know whether the score does more than just function. Does it heighten the emotions, intensify the action, etc. Does it go above and beyond. From listening to Jackman's excruciating album I'm not optimistic.

-Erk-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Well, I guess part of the problem is that I never liked the scores for either the Die Hard nor the Lethal Weapon movies that much anyway. I rarely listened to them then and I hardly ever listen to them now. I´ll give you that they work within the films, but that was then. Nowadays, it´s even harder for me to find this kind of scoring attractive.

But since I wasn´t talking about having an orchestra at all, but what to do with it, and what Jackman does with what he uses, anyway, the whole point is unvalid. I was talking about the style, not the instrumentation, and, more specifically, it wasn´t the Kamen stuff I had in mind; I was thinking about Silvestri´s Captain America sound when I said that, and maybe you will agree that that wouldn´t fit at all here.

Personal preferences aside, I think the Kamen style (which Beltrami emulates quite perfectly, of course) still works in context, it just doesn´t feel very modern at all, but more or less retro, which is very fitting when you watch Bruce Willis trying again very hard not to die.

But here, we are in a post-Bourne era, in a movie about highly developed surveillance and assassination tech unleashed upon a society that simply doesn´t care anymore about anything. It´s an end of the world scenario where death doesn´t come from without, but from within, for a deeply wounded society, basically a civilization on the highest peak ever, with the steepest fall ever to come, if we don´t wake up. And as I have already said so, the score DOES add to that feeling and these emotions. A lot. To be honest, I can´t get the movie out of my head, and it´s because of the 5 minutes to 12-emulating string ostinatos, the "stand up and fight"-thrusts from the horns, and the haunting ethereal choir voices that herald the upcoming apocalypse. And then there´s the brutal, excruciatingly painful Winter Soldier motif that cuts through all of it like a knife. Damn yes, does this go above and beyond.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2014 edited
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Fair enough, we´re all people with different tastes. I´m just astonished that so many of you think it sucks. I´m glad to hear that Demetris likes it, at least.

But maybe you can return here after you´ve seen the movie and tell us how your opinion has or hasn´t changed since then.

[Regarding 300: sequel]
    Yeah, pieces like "history of atermisia", "sparta", "artemisia's childhood", "fog battle", "a beach of bodies", "queen gorgo", "greeks on attacks" are huge fun for me. Been playing it a lot lately.
  6. That´s 300 - The Meanwhile-elsewhere-quel, isn´t it? I haven´t been following any discussions about that and didn´t listen to anything. What would you compare those tracks to most likely, stylistically?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap, sorry i didn't make it clear enough. Yeap, it's 300 (Bates) meets man of Steel. To my mind they are pretty similar in approach (musically speaking) this is why i interchange them, you will like it. Stylistically though, Jackman's is more on the urban side of things.

As for Winter Soldier: I liked "Lemurian Star" "Fury" "The Winter Soldier" "Taking a stand" "The causeaway" "Time to suit up" and the amazing "into the fray", a lot.

Your favorites?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Crikey, it's amazing the lengths some people will go to defend mediocrity! There is a way to write a modern score and have it be good, and Jackman is seemingly incapable of that. If we compare his score to something like Powell's Bourne scores, you realise what a missed opportunity the whole thing is. It really doesn't matter how modern, dark or gritty this new CAPTAIN AMERICA film is, that doesn't mean the score should be this uninteresting. There must be a better way. There is a better way. And this is not it.

At its best, it's serviceable. For that reason alone I think it deserves the ridicule it's received.
  7. I guess it just goes to show that tastes differ, but to have D pile on Shore's recent Desolation of Smaug shore the way he did and then go on to defend 300: Sequel and The Winter Soldier is, well... dizzy

I mean, he even describes it as 300 meets Man of Steel. What could there possibly be to like in that combination? vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    I haven´t heard 300 more than once, but I came to like Man of Steel a lot after watching the movie, so I´ll check it out. Thx, D.

As for my favourites from CA-WS, I´m not really there yet. Still have to give a couple more spins to make a definite answer.

But I have to add that I think a lot of people misread me a little bit. I think the Winter Soldier sound works incredibly well as a sound for that character, and really makes your heart beat faster when you watch the movie, but I wouldn´t call it an enjoyable listening experience by itself. Do I like it? Yeah, for what it does to the movie. But it´s not what I like to listen to when I read a book or something.

There are, however, many tracks on that score I do like listening to, and those are, specifically, for the moment, tracks like "Taking a Stand" and "Captain America", with more joining when I´ve had more time digesting the thing as a whole.

Interestingly, though, I love to listen to the whole score while driving. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2014
    Don't get me started on that Hobbit:2 snoozefest again. At least there's some action in here, something pounding, some ostinati, something going on, no matter the unoriginality. I'd take Hobbit 1 score over all these though.
  8. Go back and listen to "The Forest River" and "My Armor is Iron" and "The Hunters" and "A Spell of Concealment" and "Flies and Spiders"...no action? I'm sorry, did you even listen to the fucking thing? rolleyes

And I can just as easily say that there are long, long stretches in Winter Soldier where jack shit happens. "Hydra" for example. I'll take the most boring cue from any Tolkien score over that.
  9. Speak about turning in circles. spin
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  10. I'm sorry, Volker, but this just touches a nerve with me. You can say whatever you want about the Hobbit score, like it, dislike it, I don't give a shit. But to say that nothing goes on during it or that there's no action is blatantly, patently false.
  11. As you might remember I am a big fan of that score, Edmund! smile
  12. I know. I don't particularly like dragging up this discussion again either but... *sigh* rolleyes slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, the discussion just meanders on and on, without any real bite or conclusion.
    Just like the score.

biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  13. I resist the bate.
    Yet in answering I have taken it already.
    Or is the negativity of my answer outweighing the positive factuality of its existence.
    Writing the amount of text required to solve this riddle will consume Pawel's entire afternoon.

wink wave Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    As I´ve said a lot of times now, let´s all just see the movie first and then return here to discuss it and whether the score does improve the movie or not.

Just to open up another can of worms, I recently saw Ender´s Game on BluRay and found it quite entertaining. I´ve never read the book and avoided watching anything beyond the first trailer, so I didn´t really know what was coming and was kind of surprised by how some events played out.

At first I thought, oh well, I know why they dug this one out now, with all the dystopian young adults fight each other thing going on right now and kind of got afraid that the whole movie would be about that Zero-G game, but luckily, it was not. So. Very. Not. And while I guessed that something was odd, I didn´t get what it was until it was too late and shit had happened.

Spoilers ahead:
    [spoiler]Because the final test was about the big battle, it seemed kinda obvious to me that we wouldn´t get the real thing later, so I just assumed Ender would find a peaceful solution at the very last moment. So it hit me as hard as it hit him when the truth was revealed and it became obvious that it was too late, and that´s when the movie - finally - hit the actual brilliance which makes the book so famous, I suspect.[/spoiler]

Overall, I liked what I saw and heard.

Butterfield seems to be a great kid with a real honest approach to acting, and when I first noticed him in Merlin, I was sure to see him on the big screen somewhere down the road. He was fantastic in Hugo, and I liked him very much in Ender´s Game, too. Ford was Ford. There were some little moments where he went a little bit beyond his usual acting, so it was great to have him. The other kids were okay, I guess.

The story could have used some more explanations about the whole background and the world those kids were living in, but I´ve heard they cut a lot to make it more action-filled, so there you go. The training action was okay, but when they finally got to train with ships and stuff, things looked spectacular, even if it was all over way too soon.

In general, the effects were very good, although you never took them for anything else than effects. But watchable and enjoyable.

What made the movie for me was - badabing - Jablonsky´s score. I had a listen some while ago and put it away after that, but during the movie, I thought wow, that actually IS good stuff. I would go so far to rate it higher than his Transformers work, because it was a bit less anthem-like and a bit more dark and powerful, which helped to build the movie´s setting and emotions.

Ender´s Game could easily be misread by kids, who will obviously love the Zero-G-Stuff, but will likely miss the whole point of it. It does make good family "entertainment" if you talk about it with your kids when the movie´s over. For adults, it is watchable, but I guess most of you will have higher viewing standards.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    I resist the bate.
    Yet in answering I have taken it already.
    Or is the negativity of my answer outweighing the positive factuality of its existence.
    Writing the amount of text required to solve this riddle will consume Pawel's entire afternoon.

wink wave Volker

lol punk lol
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lol
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  14. You never took effects in a science fiction film as anything else than effects.

I indeed agree. Great score, vastly underrated. A someone who knows all the Eder novels, I was surprised how well the film manages to capture the essence of the book.
  15. Good to hear. I downloaded a sample chapter from the book for later review because I´ve wanted to read at least the first one for years to see what the fuss was about, and I´m looking forward to it.

About that effects thing: One word: Gravity. I think I´ve never seen an SF movie where everything looked so real that I thought it was (speaking about the suits, the sets, the exteriors, et cetera), and was blown away when I saw the Making Of and realised what was there and what wasn´t. Mind-blowing, really. Mind-blowing.