• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Speaking of which...

Enemy at the Gates - James Horner

This score has emerged as one of my favorite Horners, but having listened to a whole bunch of Shostakovich and Prokofiev lately, it's clear that Horner loves the Russian composers. shame

As a massive fan of both Shoshtakovitch and Prokofiev there is no doubt that Horner, who I am also a massive fan of, has pillaged from the great Russians throughout his career and you know what? I don't care! As Igor Stravinsky said, 'bad composers borrow, great composers steal' wink ( or something like that )

The only time Horner's "borrowing" ever bothered me was Troy, but even with that score he can be forgiven.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2014
    When you think the time schedule and the whole thing, how it went down, yeah.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE WIND AND THE LION - Jerry Goldsmith

Brilliant!

Yes indeed. I have the Intrada expanded edition of course and it's very good - but recently deleted it from my iPod and stuck the original album (from disc two of the deluxe) on there instead. It's just perfect.
  2. Steven wrote
    Oblivion Joseph Trapenese and M25

My favourite thing about this score isn't the score, it's the song. I want moar songs like this please.

I agree with that. (Although there are some cues in there I play a bit.)

NP: Locke (Dickon Hinchliffe)

The former Tindersticks member has built up quite an impressive resume of independent films the last few years. This was one of the best new films I've seen in the last year.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2014
    Being in a tight spot with studying once more I want something heroic to boost up my mood!
    NP: Ben Hur ~ Miklos Rozsa

One of my all times favorite!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You know what to put in next? Jerry Goldsmith's the 13th warrior. That theme...oh, that theme, never fails for me!
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    A very good suggestion indeed! 13th Warrior and then Bram Stoker's Dracula. Dark, stormy and captivating... I don't think I'm going to study at all! I'll be lost in the music!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Wojciech Kilar's dracula, right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    None other!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote

Yup! But it's title is Bram Stoker's Dracula.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Good Wife - David Buckley

First-rate television music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2014 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote

Yeah, 'cause there's also this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070003/ vomit
  3. Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote

And rightfully so. This adaptation really pays tribute to the novel.

V.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote

Jeff Beal's house of cards season 2 is also top from this year's releases so far.

Btw we do realize that all these no matter how great they are can always be 2nd-rate tv music 'cause no.1 spot will always be taken by Lost? wink
  4. Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote

V.

Having not read the original novel (I intend to in its original English) and having seen the movie very long time ago, how close or far is the film from the book?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote

Indeed.
  5. Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote

Jeff Beal's house of cards season 2 is also top from this year's releases so far.

Btw we do realize that all these no matter how great they are can always be 2nd-rate tv music 'cause no.1 spot will always be taken by Lost? wink

Are you serious about the House of Cards? I thought it was incredibly dull
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote

Dull? no, i loved it; organic string writing and a couple of good themes, plus noir. I love noir scores. It's the only music by Jeff Beal i like so far wink
  6. PawelStroinski wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote

V.

Having not read the original novel (I intend to in its original English) and having seen the movie very long time ago, how close or far is the film from the book?

Well, it's an epistolary novel and you can't really adapt that to a movie. The film is more true to the original structure, the depicture of the characters, the underliying motives and the historical background than any other adaptation I know. I like the film a lot.
  7. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote

I thought it was incredibly dull too.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote

Nope! Bram Stoker's Dracula, not Dan Curtis Dracula ( Pragmatic?....moi? )

Never seen it but it is written by Richard Matheson which perks my interest.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

I thought it was incredibly dull too.

I had a similar discussion with a friend of mine who is a professional editor (of TV programs), who shares my love though not my taste in soundtracks. He loves the House Of Cards score as well, while I think the scoring is functional but wholly immemorable.

Turns out, after an evening of strong drinkiing and soul searching (as one tends to combine with the other), that his interest in soundtracks is purely utalitarian: like lighting or set production.
    He strongly dislikes melodic material as it tends to "pigeonhole" the composition too much. He listesn to soundtracks the way an architect looks at a building: how and why is it used. Does the material fit its purpose. How could certain structures be improved.

So he tends to go for strongly a-thematic, soundscaping music, wich bores me to tears.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote

It's actually a very good and entertaining film (if not very true to the novel), the odd casting notwithstanding.
    It sports a strong soundtrack that's been recently released by Varese, but the best bits of which by far can be found on the Silva compilation CD Vampire Circus.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    But house of cards season 2 has a couple of strong themes, you should re-listen more carefully. And the strings with the noir elements bond the whole together, it surely is not a-thematic, soundscaping music (Which bores me too, most of the times).
  8. Martijn wrote
    I had a similar discussion with a friend of mine who is a professional editor (of TV programs), who shares my love though not my taste in soundtracks. He loves the House Of Cards score as well, while I think the scoring is functional but wholly immemorable.

Turns out, after an evening of strong drinkiing and soul searching (as one tends to combine with the other), that his interest in soundtracks is purely utalitarian: like lighting or set production.
    He strongly dislikes melodic material as it tends to "pigeonhole" the composition too much. He listesn to soundtracks the way an architect looks at a building: how and why is it used. Does the material fit its purpose. How could certain structures be improved.

So he tends to go for strongly a-thematic, soundscaping music, wich bores me to tears.

It's interesting that he analyses soundtracks on "how and why they are used" but at the same time thinks that melody "pigeonholes" music rather seeing the music as helping the film/TV show.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  9. It reminds of the general fear producers/directors have at the moment - that a melody may "say too much" about the emotions/scene/story, not being aware that theme and emotional intensity are not the same thing.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote

It's actually a very good and entertaining film (if not very true to the novel), the odd casting notwithstanding.
    It sports a strong soundtrack that's been recently released by Varese, but the best bits of which by far can be found on the Silva compilation CD Vampire Circus.

Hell yes! I knew something bugged me about it and its that I have that CD. I'll have to dig it out and listen to it again, a great compilation and I remember liking that suite of Colbert's score a lot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

Very subtle.
  10. Just played:
    Le Collone Sonore Originali dei Film di Sergio Leone - Ennio Morricone

This is a terrific compilation that features the "Dollar Trilogy" as well as the "Once Upon a Time - Trilogy". It's an AAD album. There has indeed been a remastered version of this album, but I never bought it. Instead, when I finally had remastered editions of all six scores I would proceed to reconstruct that compilation myself.

NP: Winnetou Melodien - Martin Böttcher

Both, Morricone and Böttcher wrote the bulk of their western music in the 1960s. Despite all the disparity of the music there are some interesting similarities in terms of orchestration.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: ONE DAY IN FALL (Jennifer Athena Galatis)

A mix of Yann Tiersen-style minimalism and Dario Marianelli, maybe. Quity arty, but very appealing. Great, underrated score.
    I am extremely serious.