• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2014
    THE NIGHTCOMERS is great! Love the juxtaposition of 'ugliness' and 'beauty' in it. Never seen the film, though. My sole exposure is the Bay Cities release.

But if memory serves, it uses a fair amount of Bach?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2014
    Timmer wrote

Arguable, of course. I don't agree with your latter comment but possibly agree with the former though I love Williams JANE EYRE far, far more.

Great choice though. Personally I put THE NIGHTCOMERS at the top of everything I've heard from Fielding.

Ah - but its not an argument, per se - it's my preference. TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD is around my 9th favorite Bernstein and JANE EYRE is my 3rd favorite Williams, so I do like them very much. However, they are not even my Top 100 because there are so many others I like very much, too.
    Given a choice, I rather listen to THE NIGHTCOMERS than either the other 2.

Glad that Timmer likes THE NIGHTCOMER, too. Is it your favorite Fielding because it is the least atonal of the other Fieldings you have?
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2014 edited
    Thor wrote
    THE NIGHTCOMERS is great! Love the juxtaposition of 'ugliness' and 'beauty' in it. Never seen the film, though. My sole exposure is the Bay Cities release.

But if memory serves, it uses a fair amount of Bach?

Not familiar enough with Bach to know if Fielding quoted Bach directly, though Fielding has been known to make musical allusions to other composers in other scores so this wouldn't surprise me.

Glad you like it, too, Thor. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2014 edited
    It could be that I'm confusing it with another Fielding score re: the Bach reference. It's one of the scores on the three volumes of Fielding music released on Bay Cities. It's been a long time since I listened to them.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    Cobweb wrote
    Here's 3 more composers who fell off my top 50, but reside in my top 60: Robert O. Ragland, Andre Previn and Maurice Jarre.

At a guess. Q THE WINGED SERPENT ( very fine film and score ), THE FOUR HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE ( great score but I'd choose DEAD RINGER ) and a very early and obscure score from Jarre.

You are very close on all of these, Timmer!

I love Ragland's Q, but the rock songs disqualified the album from my list. Actually, I slated a Robert O. Ragland for my #50 but it got bumped to #51. This is his score for the 1976 GRIZZLY which appeared on Ragland's own label called TruLuv. The LP program on GRIZZLY has never been upgraded to CD so the vinyl record is the only source.

My fave Previn is indeed DEAD RINGER, but his 4 HORSEMAN (plus others) come following close.

Yes to 'early' Jarre, though I never owned the French EP on his first feature film with director Georges Franju (translated as HEAD AGAINST THE WALL). So my 2nd favorite Jarre - THE TRAIN (LP) - is the title within my top 60.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2014
    I had the GRIZZLY lp ( unfortunately stolen many years ago )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    I had the GRIZZLY lp ( unfortunately stolen many years ago )

A wonderfully rendered album cover too. ( shitty arsed thieves angry )

#46 is coming within the next hour.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2014 edited
    ...'but what three books would you have taken?

#46 THE TIME MACHINE - RUSSELL GARCIA

I make absolutely no excuses for the fact that nostalgia for a film that still remains a personal favourite to this day plays a large part in making my list, but that should in no way diminish Garcia's gorgeous effort. I've loved this film since the first time I saw it as a child and that main theme in Waltz time I could hum long, long before I ever owned the soundtrack or any soundtrack for that matter. It wasn't until the late 80's that I finally managed to grab the score ( paired with ATLANTIS: THE LOST CONTINENT ) on LP and also where I was able to appreciate the score more on its own terms, the score doesn't push any boundaries in film music, it's just good, old fashioned romantic scoring.

Lastly, I'll add that I think Filby's Theme is one of the most poignantly beautiful and yearning themes I have ever heard. It never fails to move me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2014
    Yeah, that Filby/London 1900 cue is absolutely gorgeous. I discovered it for the first time when I did my Celluloid Tunes episode on time travel scores awhile back. I proceeded to get the whole soundtrack, but alas the rest of the score didn't do that much for me. Too much dated 'sturm und drang' for my taste. But here and there some smokin' cues.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2014 edited
    My pick:

46. ALADDIN (Alan Menken/Howard Ashman/Tim Rice)

As a huge fan of Disney movies and scores (and songs!), especially from the 90s, I couldn't do this list without a Menken effort.

Although I was already a teen when the film came out, I still have a somewhat nostalgic relationship to ALADDIN. It's probably down to Robin Williams as the genie. While I'm not generally a fan of classic Hollywood musicals, I feel drawn to a more contemporary form, like Menken created when he helped ressurect the animated Disney films in the late 80s and early 90s. There's so much 'joie de vivre' in his sparkling orchestrations, immediately likeable themes and songs and a reliance on unashamed romanticism. I like all of his Disney scores, but this one is probably the closest to me. I've had the CD since the late 90s, and play it ever so often.

I've also been known to sing some of the songs at karaoke evenings (mostly "A Whole New World" if I get a girl to sing with and "Arabian Nights")! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2014
    Nah! Not one for me mate.
  1. I never cared much about these Menken/Disney scores I'm afraid.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    I never cared much about these Menken/Disney scores I'm afraid.

flash STOP THE PRESS! flash

Thor's choice diverts and splits the Thor/Captain Future mutual music taste love-in. shocked wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentAuthorTimmer

biggrin

I'll raise you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O23EzxT-Ug
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    I never cared much about these Menken/Disney scores I'm afraid.

flash STOP THE PRESS! flash

Thor's choice diverts and splits the Thor/Captain Future mutual music taste love-in. shocked wink

Scary, isn't it?

Seriously, though, I didn't expect this selection to get a lotta lovin' around here based on previous discussions. With Menken, you either love him or you don't.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Not to be contrary (well, maybe a little), but I neither particularly love or dislike him. tongue

He's undoubtedly written some classic songs, but I don't really listen to that. I haven't actually listened to the scores for those Disney Renaissance films, but I do like his more recent stuff like Enchanted, Tangled and Mirror Mirror. Lovely, tuneful orchestral writing - if a bit lightweight.
  3. It's not so much about Menken, it's more that I never liked those sing-along-Disney scores that have been a trademark of the company way before Menken turned up. Heigh-ho-heigh-ho, not really for me, bro! cheesy
  4. Captain Future wrote
    It's not so much about Menken, it's more that I never liked those sing-along-Disney scores that have been a trademark of the company way before Menken turned up. Heigh-ho-heigh-ho, not really for me, bro! cheesy

Me too. There's something diabetes-inducing about most Disney songs the last few decades.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Those songs are some of my greatest loves (as Bregt can attest to!).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    It's not so much about Menken, it's more that I never liked those sing-along-Disney scores that have been a trademark of the company way before Menken turned up. Heigh-ho-heigh-ho, not really for me, bro! cheesy

Oh, I do! I love, LOVE an awful lot of Disney songs. Though for me it pretty much came to an end after the genius of the Sherman brothers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    yeah
    Right on! Man, what a BEAT!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    word
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    It wasn't until the late 80's that I finally managed to grab the score ( paired with ATLANTIS: THE LOST CONTINENT ) on LP and also where I was able to appreciate the score more on its own terms, the score doesn't push any boundaries in film music, it's just good, old fashioned romantic scoring.

Even though you mention that LP, I take it, Timmer, that your favo(u)rite album of THE TIME MACHINE is the FSM CD?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Where's the Captain's 46th choice?
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2014 edited
    Timmer wrote
    I make absolutely no excuses for the fact that nostalgia for a film that still remains a personal favourite to this day plays a large part in making my list, but that should in no way diminish Garcia's gorgeous effort.

This could be a topic unto itself. I think nostalgia is a significant factor amongst many of us in terms of buying albums from movies we have fond memories of.
    What about the converse, though? Should we disregard soundtracks from films we dislike or know nothing about?
    I asked earlier in this thread if anybody had any favorite albums from movies that they dislike/hate?

Speaking for myself, nostalgia does not much influence my soundtrack acquisitions.
    Many of my favorite albums contain music from films that were created before I was born and most of these I did not view as a child (and some films I've never seen).
    Also, things I've seen as a child are not really my favorites as an adult...

... As I say, this topic could continue in a thread of its own. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2014 edited
    My list so far from 1 - 46

CONAN THE BARBARIAN - Poledouris
    THE LION IN WINTER - Barry
    KRULL - Horner
    THE BIG COUNTRY - Moross
    E.T. THE EXTRATERRESTRIAL - Williams
    STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE - Goldsmith
    ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE - Barry
    THE FINAL CONFLICT - Goldsmith
    THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY - Morricone
    LITTLE BUDDHA - Sakamoto
    THE LAST VALLEY - Barry
    SCOTT OF THE ANTARCTIC - Vaughan Williams
    THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR - Legrand
    THE THING - Morricone
    WALKING WITH DINOSAURS / WALKING WITH BEASTS - Bartlett
    STAR WARS - Williams
    CHINATOWN - Goldsmith
    HEAVY METAL - Bernstein
    BULLIT - Schifrin
    BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA - Kilar
    STAR TREK III: THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK - Horner
    ONE MILLION YEARS B.C. - Nascimbene
    'BOOM!' - Barry
    STARSHIP TROOPERS - Poledouris
    RED PLANET - Revell
    QUEST FOR FIRE - Sarde
    FLASH GORDON - Queen / Blake
    THE ROBE - A. Newman
    THE BOURNE SUPREMACY - Powell
    READY WHEN YOU ARE J.B. - Barry
    THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS - Barry
    ROCKY - Conti
    TRUE CONFESSIONS - Delerue
    LIFEFORCE - Mancini
    JANE EYRE - Williams
    THE FILM MUSIC OF - C. Gunning
    SOMMERSBY - Elfman
    THE DARK CRYSTAL - Jones
    WATERSHIP DOWN - Morley
    THE FURY - Williams
    TOTAL RECALL - Goldsmith
    KING KONG - Barry
    CONAN THE DESTROYER - Poledouris
    MAD MAX BEYOND THUNDERDOME - Jarre
    RED SONJA - Morricone
    THE TIME MACHINE - Garcia

Cobweb wrote
    This could be a topic unto itself. I think nostalgia is a significant factor amongst many of us in terms of buying albums from movies we have fond memories of.
    What about the converse, though? Should we disregard soundtracks from films we dislike or know nothing about?
    I asked earlier in this thread if anybody had any favorite albums from movies that they dislike/hate?

Speaking for myself, nostalgia does not much influence my soundtrack acquisitions.
    Many of my favorite albums contain music from films that were created before I was born and most of these I did not view as a child (and some films I've never seen).
    Also, things I've seen as a child are not really my favorites as an adult...

... As I say, this topic could continue in a thread of its own. smile

Indeed it could.

A brief glance over my own list shows me that I've not seen LITTLE BUDDHA, BOOM and SOMMERSBY.

RED SONJA is an awful film. And depending on personal taste quite a few others on this list are either hated by people or are "guilty" favourites.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    One of the track titles from THE NIGHTCOMERS is the film title on my next favorite, which is ...

#46: THE CHILDREN'S HOUR (1961) by Alex North, on Kritzerland CD (2009).

This is my final Alex North soundtrack for this Top 50. Though I rank North's 14-minute score for THE OUTRAGE immediately following THE CHILDREN'S HOUR, the FSM album was disqualified by me because it pairs THE OUTRAGE with ALL FALL DOWN (which is not a fave with me).

THE CHILDREN'S HOUR never had a legit release between '61 and '09 when Kritzerland issued it.
    Kritzerland continues to be one of the few labels alongside Intrada and Digitmovies and Kronos to release soundtracks from films from the early 1960s (my favorite era). As with my other faves on Kritzerland (LADY IN A CAGE & PRESSURE POINT), THE CHILDREN'S HOUR is a monochrome film; unlike the others, THE CHILDREN'S HOUR sold out.

Alex North is very much associated with the underscoring of psychological states of characters. I consider his music for THE CHILDREN'S HOUR to be amongst the finest specimens created for the play-into-film category.
    It's core is music communicating humiliation and mental torment (the subject matter is a rumored lesbian relationship between 2 teachers in a girl's school), though the earlier tracks also reflect the high spirits of playful children.

From my understanding, the scoring session master tapes exist only in a mono-mixdown from the composer's estate and are housed in a University archive.
    This is one of the many examples of a film studio owning the rights to music which they don't even possess in their own storage!
  5. Timmer wrote
    Where's the Captain's 46th choice?

Oooopsiiiie! shame

As boys, they said they would die for each other. As men, they did.

No. 46:

Once Upon A Time in America (1984) by Ennio Morricone

Among the many great scores Morricone has written, this one is special. He did two trilogies with Leone over a span of two decades, the DOLLAR trilogy and the ONCE UPON A TIME trilogy. All six filmes are a cinematic panorama of the history of the USA. Leone went down in movie history with these films, Morricone became a man of legend in the world of music.
    I have seen this film dozens of times. I never could quite follow the story. Each time it was like seeing the film for the first time, it has so many layers, so many aspects - Morricone addresses them all.
    OuaTiA is one of the most lyrical, heart-wrenchingly beautiful and melancholic scores the Italian maestro has composed. Aided by Gheorghe Zamfir's panpipe magic, Morricone instills melancholy, anger, love, despair, hope and redemption in our hearts and souls. As in all of the movies he did with Leone, his music is the backbone of the film, it is the one element that brings it all together.
    I own only the expanded edition of the score. Mostly though I re-create the original LP program. It may be in the nature of Morricone's music, that often I prefer the condensed LP playlist as a listening experiance.

Volker