• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2014
    A brilliant choice Captain beer

I'm afraid I have never heard Cobweb's choice.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2014
    #47 coming today.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Awsome! kiss
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. My No 47 features a French composer who hasn't been taken into account in this thread so far. The score is from a 70s TV series.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2014
    I've been rushed off my feet today. I'll do #47 tomorrow.

...and yes, there is one more John Barry on my list.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    My No 47 features a French composer who hasn't been taken into account in this thread so far. The score is from a 70s TV series.

Since Delerue, Jarre and Legrand have all been mentioned earlier in the thread, might this be somebody like Georges Garvarentz or Francois de Roubaix, I wonder?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Twice is the only way to live...

#47 JOHN BARRY - YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

Only #47? Almost all of my choices have been "current mood" driven and on another day I could well have placed this much, much higher, but then, all of my top 50 and possibly top 100 could revolve around my personal top 10 favourite film scores, nothing is really set in stone. This Bond score has it all, from the ethereally beautiful and now classic title song sung by Nancy Sinatra to the ominous mysterioso of the space march, the delicately beautiful Wedding music ( one of my all time favourite Barry themes ) to the excellent bombast of JB's synchopated action music and even another welcome return of Barry's '007' theme all wrapped up in superb arrangements and orchestrations with the added colour of traditional Japanese instruments and even the odd flutter of harpsichord.

Sublime!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2014 edited
    I have very little to say about that choice, other than that I like the Nancy Sinatra title song. It's also the only remaining Bond film I haven't seen.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nancy's voice is made up of 16 different takes in that song. I guess the fact that she was Frank's daughter meant that Barry dare not drop her. wink
  3. I like her work with Lee Hazlewood. I think she has a fairly good voice. A composer needs to know for whos voice he is composing.

Volker
  4. I wasn' even sure if I have You Only Live Twice in my collection. But I have. I will revisit it.

No 47:

Kidnapped / Die Abenteuer des David Balfour (1978) by Valdimir Cosma

This four-part miniseries, a German led European co-production, premiered December 8th- 17th 1978 on the public channel ZDF. (A network comparable to the BBC.) It launched what would become a ZDF tradition: The original miniseries, often based on a popular novel that aired before Christmas. There have been productions that aimed specifically at a young audience and others that aimed at a teenage and adult audience, among them KIDNAPPED, or THE SEAWOLF.

The crown jewel of Cosmas melodic score is the main theme or “David’s Theme”. The original German score LP (Polydor) featured a song version of that theme, “David’s Song”, featuring the KELLY FAMILY. That song became immensely popular in Germany.

The score is Celtic in style, melodic and fun to listen to. For me it is of special nostalgic value because I remember how exited I was when I found out that the score was actually available on a French CD that featured it alongside the score from LE ROSES DE DUBLIN. The score is currently available as part of a somewhat obscure Cosma box-set.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ooooooohhhh! Great, great choice Captain. That was totally unexpected by me. As soon as I saw that written down David's Theme was immediately playing in my head. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm not aware of that, but I do love Cosma so I'll check it out on Spotify!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    My pick:

47. PEYTON PLACE (Franz Waxman)

I've never seen the film, but Waxman has always been my favourite Golden Age composer (I first truly discovered him through the epic 4 "Legendary" volumes from Varese). About 10 years ago, I picked up Varese's triple set of rerecordings from REBECCA, SUNSET BOULEVARD and this. All are top notch, of course, but PEYTON PLACE is in a slightly different league. Warm, summery melodies depicting pine trees, mountains and girls (OK, so the cover art has some influence!), but also moments of tension and dissonance. Perfect running time and 'concept album', almost like a symphony.

This is Frederic Talgorn (himself a reknown and 'old school' film composer) conducting the Royal Scottish National Orchestra. The film is from 1957, but I believe the recording is from 1999.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Also a great choice Thor beer
  5. Peyton Place is fantastic! I also own the Talgorn recording. Nice to have another Golden Age score in our meta list.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Peyton Place is fantastic! I also own the Talgorn recording. Nice to have another Golden Age score in our meta list.

The film came out a BIT late to be 'proper' Golden Age, but the SOUND is very much so.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2014 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    I like her work with Lee Hazlewood. I think she has a fairly good voice. A composer needs to know for whos voice he is composing.

Volker

She sings in a different and easier key in Hazlewood's pop version of YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE ( I like it but it isn't a patch on Barry's version ), Nancy had a huge hit with These Boots Are Made For Walking plus the fact the Broccoli's were good friends with the Sinatra family meant that Barry probably didn't have much choice
    , Barry and co worked a miracle in making that song seamlessly perfect.

It sounds like you're insinuating that Barry didn't know what he was doing which given his vast experience by 1967 is ridiculous. ( you may not have meant that but if you read what you wrote that is the way it comes across )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Just in case you didn't know ( I have posted this before ) there was an earlier version of the song, very different but still written by John Barry / Leslie Bricusse but sung by British artist Julie Rogers who has a very Shirley Bassey quality.

YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
  6. ^I was neither familiar with that version nor with the one done by Hazlewood. But yes, it may feel like sacrilege, but if the recording sessions were that difficult the fault isn't necessarily Nancy's alone. Why didn't Barry let her sing her in a key more appropriate for her abilities? It is known that Barry wasn't always easy to work with.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2014
    Well, Nancy is known for struggling with on-key singing. Several of her live performances attest to that. She was certainly no chip off the ol' man. But then again, that's why she's become somewhat of a cult figure over the years.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Of course I wasn't there and it is all speculation on my part. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Me not having been somewhere never in any way stops me from presenting myself as an absolute authority on any subject. cool
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Me not having been somewhere never in any way stops me from presenting myself as an absolute authority on any subject. cool

That I can attest to. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    It is known that Barry wasn't always easy to work with.

It's called not taking shit from people. From what I know he had very good working relationships with all the artists who sung for him except for a~ha.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2014
    Have you seen this Captain? I have posted it before but it was a long time ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJsah4gJ_Hw
  8. No, didn't. Interesting. BTW I don't think I ever saw Marvin Hamlisch in film or even picture bevore. Seems like he was a nice guy! His piano playing is considerably better than mine. cheesy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2014 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    No, didn't. Interesting. BTW I don't think I ever saw Marvin Hamlisch in film or even picture bevore. Seems like he was a nice guy! His piano playing is considerably better than mine. cheesy

Really? Marvin Hamlisch was a bit of a celebrity in his own right. Unlike most film composers he didn't seem shy of the limelight to me.

A very talented composer who died far too young. I really hope that one day his full original score for THE SPY WHO LOVED ME gets a release, IMO it is one of the very best non-John Barry scores for Bond. The rerecorded album is very lacking.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Thor wrote
    47. PEYTON PLACE (Franz Waxman)

The film is from 1957, but I believe the recording is from 1999.

Appreciate your mentioning of Franz Waxman, Thor.

For a long stretch of time, there were only 8 soundtrack LPs with Waxman's film music.

1) CRIME IN THE STREETS (Decca)
    2) SAYONARA (RCA)
    3) SPIRIT OF SAINT LOUIS (RCA)
    4) PEYTON PLACE (RCA)
    5) THE NUN'S STORY (Warner Bros.)
    6) MY GEISHA (RCA)
    7) HEMINGWAY'S ADVENTURES OF A YOUNG MAN (RCA)
    8) TARAS BULBA (United Artists)

These span 1956 through 1962. Not until the mid-'70s thru mid-'80s were some compilation albums done on Waxman. When FSM issued their first Waxman in 1999 (PRINCE VALIANT), the CD liner notes mention how little of Waxman's film music was on disc.
    Fortunately, the Waxman discography expanded over the past 15 years thanks to people such as Robert Townson (who championed a number of Waxman titles within the Varese Club CD line).

P.S. You may not know the answer to this, Thor, but do you know if any American soundtracks (like the above) were ever distributed in Norwegian record stores around 1960? Just curious if these sorts of albums were commercially available in Scandinavia.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Amazingly I don't think I ever heard any Waxman outside of viewing a film until I heard Elmer Bernstein's recording on LP of The Silver Chalice ( still my favourite Waxman score )