• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2015
    I'm going to post one more time just because I like talking to myself.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Far and Away - John Williams

On the one hand there's the Oirish diddly-eye bollocks which is hideous but on the other there's some excellent grown-up stuff and a lovely theme or two when he does the Hollywood celtic thing rather than the Chieftains stuff. But this is an album I do not listen to more than once every five years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It would get regular listens from me if it didn't have the hideous Oirish diddly-eye bollocks. It really is a shame, because other than that it's 5 star stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    You're talking about one of my favourite Williams scores and, in fact, one of my alltime favourite soundtracks regardless of composer. I'm totally in love with that 'oirish diddly-eye bollocks' (sic)!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I used to. But now it just grates. (I'm well on my way to becoming a miserable old fuck.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2015 edited
    I quite like the Oirish diddly diddly dee stuff in it. bhangra

It goes perfectly with Tom Thumb's 'oim Oirish' accent.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    It would get regular listens from me if it didn't have the hideous Oirish diddly-eye bollocks. It really is a shame, because other than that it's 5 star stuff.

The Oirish diddly-eye bollocks and the synths. (Oh John. The Oirish bollocks was probably Ron Howard's idea but the synths... oh John.)
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2015
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE COUNSELOR (Daniel Pemberton)

The film was disappointing (even for a crazy Ridley Scott fanboy like myself), but the score has something going for it. The moody, barren landscapes with electric guitars etc. A kinda somber version of THELMA & LOUISE, if you will.

Been meaning to buy this score for ages. The film is sort of a train wreck but for some reason I still enjoyed the often loopily overextended, oblique reams of dialogue.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Sanctum - David Hirschfelder

Eliminate the awful first track and this soon settles into a very solid score with plenty of great action music - often worked into some beefy long tracks. And there's mostly something of interest going on in the more suspenseful music too.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Meet the Applegates - David Newman

This was one of my grails before the Intrada release. Ridiculously enjoyable score for a guilty pleasure of a film too (that I've probably seen one too many times - just to hear the music!). A perfect example of Newman's versatility and brilliance.
  1. I like Oirish. Give me all the Oirish. Except the first 30 seconds of Titanic. crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    John Chambers wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: GALAPAGOS 3D (various)

Never seen the series (I think), but as usual with British nature documentaries, there's always good music. There are several composers involved here, including Joel Douek, and I don't think the score has had a commercial release yet. Too bad.

I'd love to get hold of this Thor, I worked on all the underwater sequences in the series. Have you got a promo?

I saw the series some time ago and you were featured in a short interview in the making of section! Totally envious for what you have seen and filmed.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2015 edited
    NP: Outlander - Bear McCreary

Classic Bear at its best. If you love bagpipes, this is for you. If not, avoid it at all costs. ^^
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : KINGSMAN: THE SECRET SERVICE - Henry Jackman & Matthew Margeson

Has some good moments but it all gets wearisome with the usual generic sounds.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

yeah
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: POMPEII (Clinton Shorter)

There are good ways and bad ways to emulate the Zimmer sound. This is definitely in the "good ways" category with lifeaffirming melodies, smooth power anthems, wordless chorus and sweeping scope. Loved the film too, btw.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Timmer wrote

Promo?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I think it's on Spotify.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote

There are good ways and bad ways to emulate the Zimmer sound. This is definitely in the "good ways" category with lifeaffirming melodies, smooth power anthems, wordless chorus and sweeping scope. Loved the film too, btw.

Loved the score. I think it's underrated / overlooked. It's much fun (and the film is watchable too, i've definitely seen worse wink )
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote

Loved the score. I think it's underrated / overlooked. It's much fun (and the film is watchable too, i've definitely seen worse wink )

Yeah. It has to be approached on director Paul W.S. Anderson's terms, though. Say whatever you will of clichées etc., but he's a damn good "yarn spinner". I've always been somewhat of a fan, and consider him a socalled 'action auteur'. This was no exception.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: STOKER (Clint Mansell)

Weird film, and so is the score. But I like it, including the songs. I think it will survive in my collection.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well i don't like anything else he's done and i find the Resident evil films laughable , but i did like his 'turn' with Pompeii.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Well i don't like anything else he's done and i find the Resident evil films laughable , but i did like his 'turn' with Pompeii.

I think EVENT HORIZON is one of the best sci fi films of the 90s (HUGELY underrated), and I dig SOLDIER for a myriad of reasons. The first AvP is actually quite decent if you take it on its own terms (especially compared to the infantile sequel by the Strouse brothers). The RESIDENT EVIL films are hit and miss, but when they're hit, they're quite good, IMO.

So yeah -- I'm a fan of his work overall. POMPEII was just icing on the cake.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. NP: Jurassic Park III (2001) - Don Davis

Having the scores for the first two films for some reason I never bought this one. Im a huge fan of Davis' work for the "Matrix" trilogy, but this somehow vanished from my screen.

As I am definitely going to obtain Giacchino's score for the upcoming "Jurassic World" film, I thought that it wouldn't do to leave a gap there.

Davis masterfully blend's William's material with his own concept. One of the best "adapted" scores I have so far listened to. One automatically thinks of evenly great scores from the "Superman" franchise.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Thor wrote
    Yeah. It has to be approached on director Paul W.S. Anderson's terms, though. Say whatever you will of clichées etc., but he's a damn good "yarn spinner". I've always been somewhat of a fan, and consider him a socalled 'action auteur'. This was no exception.

Its worth it just for Evil Roman General Jack Bauer smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2015
    He had 24 hours and still couldn't save Pompeii?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    It really shows you what a one-note actor he is (not that there's anything wrong with that, it's entertaining). But anyone who saw The River Queen already knew that. He tries to be Irish (if I remember correctly) and it really doesn't work. Incredible film score though, by Karl Jenkins, the man behind the ethereal music of Adiemus.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No, he isn't very versatile but I have enjoyed him in certain films, The Lost Boys, Stand By Me ( though it's the young stellar cast that really shine here ) and the excellent but rarely seen Chicago Joe and The Showgirl.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Hoffa - David Newman

Great, great theme (given its best, most stirring and succinct workout in 'Trucker Salute'). However there's not the same depth here compared to his great scores. Plenty of expendable cues but still a fine work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    No, he isn't very versatile but I have enjoyed him in certain films, The Lost Boys, Stand By Me ( though it's the young stellar cast that really shine here ) and the excellent but rarely seen Chicago Joe and The Showgirl.

Check out FREEWAY, if you can. Cool role.
    I am extremely serious.