• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2015
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    The music is spectacularly great for Broadchurch. Here you can see why. Both music and series are vastly superior to its US remake, Gracepoint.

While the show is certainly not reinventing the murder mystery genre, it's wonderfully filmed, has f*cking incredible performances, and, obviously, a great score.

The currently running second series adds a new layer to the events of series one while exploring both dark pasts and challenging futures for everyone involved.

I've been wondering whether to watch Gracepoint should it ever appear over here. Sounds like I should not.

I have to say I don't think the second series has come close to the first - so far. The courtroom scenes seem irritatingly implausible. It's good, but I thought the first series was great.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2015 edited
    yeah

Broadchurch garnered the majority of plaudits but far, far better was the unbelievably good though more depressing Happy Valley.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    There's something out there that's MORE depressing than Broadchurch? uhm
    Onky halfway through the first series, but so far it's hardly Live At The Apollo.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I've never heard of Happy Valley. It certainly sounds very jolly!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Wikipedia plot summary certainly sounds cheerful!

Catherine Cawood (Sarah Lancashire) is a strong-willed police sergeant in the Yorkshire valleys, still coming to terms with her daughter's suicide. Just as she seems to be getting back on top of her life, she spots Tommy Lee Royce (James Norton), the man she believes is responsible for the brutal rape that drove her daughter to suicide, standing on a street in her town. She soon becomes obsessed with finding Royce, unaware that he is involved in the kidnapping of Ann Gallagher (Charlie Murphy), a plot instigated by Kevin Weatherill (Steve Pemberton) and orchestrated by Ashley Cowgill (Joe Armstrong). Things quickly take a dark turn as the abductors scramble to keep the kidnapping secret, although Catherine is on to them.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    I've never heard of Happy Valley. It certainly sounds very jolly!

Yup! It isn't called Happy Valley for nothing. Seriously though, this drama is pure quality with stunning performances.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. NP: STAR WARS Trilogy (1977-1983) - John Williams
    My own playlist.

After watching the great final story arc of Clone Wars - that touched me much more than I thought it would - this is simply necessary.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I've steered clear of BROADCHURCH, as I'm not a fan of crime/detective shows -- at least not those that are fairly traditional, which this seems to be. But give me a TWIN PEAKS or TRUE DETECTIVE etc., and I'm game!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Yeah, it's traditional. One case solved over the whole first season. (Or was it solved? - is the question prompted by season two.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2015 edited
    @ Broadchurch: It ain't Shakespeare, but I can't emphasize enough how great the performances are. They are worth watching the show. That said, series two is less about finding out who really did it, but to see to it that the murderer doesn't get away. It's quite certain who's done it by the end of series one. The real case this year is another. Actually, I'm quite satisfied that they use the court scenes to address some of the ridiculous things they did on series one.

@ Gracepoint: It´s a scene by scene copy that does nothing to enhance the experience. The few new scenes and twists are actually painfully annoying. The acting is mostly okay, but some performances are incredibly weak. Add to it the inferior cinematography, the less-than-stellar score, and the fact that it feels just as if it's a play that's being done by another, inferior team, all over again, and you can see why it's simply unnecessary to put yourself through it.

@ True Detective: All that being said, there is no doubt whatsoever that True Detective is mopping the floor with Broadchurch and leaves it bleeding and whimpering in a dark corner. Doesn't change the fact that Olivia Coleman deserves every praise she gets for her performance on Broadchurch.
  2. NP - WHEN MARNIE WAS THERE - Yugo Kanno

This is very good. The first disc is just six concert-style presentations of music from the film. It's under 25 min. long and showcases a lot of the best music in the film in a really excellent way. Thor, you should give it a listen smile It's probably the best presentation there could possibly be for you. And since my album preferences are closer to yours than most everyone else's, I'm a big fan of it that first disc. The second is good, too, but nothing on that disc reaches the heights of "Anna" from that first disc. It's rapturous!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2015
    Ben Button Al Desplat

My second favourite Desplat score. (And I love a lot of Desplat scores.)
  3. Gotta give that one a listen.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    What's your favourite Desplat score?
  4. Godzilla
    Golden Compass, The
    Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows I
    Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows II
    King's Speech, The
    Monuments Men, The
    Rise of the Guardians
    Twilight - New Moon ...

... are the scores that I have in my collection. Of these I would say, GUARDIANS is my favourite, second is KING's SPEECH.
  5. Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Bregje wrote
    And to make some feel better perhaps: I don't think Brian Tyler is handsome at all.

shocked
    Even *I* want to sleep with him!

No need to be shocked. I know women who don't fancy the likes of Christiano Ronaldo or David Beckham.

In my experience, I've never known a woman who fancied Cristiano Ronaldo. Leastways, none over the age of 14. And that's the way it should be, stupid stuck-up self-worshipping preening peacock that he is. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    christopher wrote
    NP - WHEN MARNIE WAS THERE - Yugo Kanno

This is very good. The first disc is just six concert-style presentations of music from the film. It's under 25 min. long and showcases a lot of the best music in the film in a really excellent way. Thor, you should give it a listen smile It's probably the best presentation there could possibly be for you. And since my album preferences are closer to yours than most everyone else's, I'm a big fan of it that first disc. The second is good, too, but nothing on that disc reaches the heights of "Anna" from that first disc. It's rapturous!

I think I got a promo of this awhile back, but that it didn't stick around in my collection for whatever reason. Of course, I'm not sure if what I got was that disc or something more expanded which didn't suit my fancy. In either case, it sounds interesting (although 25 minutes is on the short side even for me!).

Btw, Kanno's score for another recent series -- GUNSHI KANBEI -- is absolutely fantastic!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Bregje wrote
    And to make some feel better perhaps: I don't think Brian Tyler is handsome at all.

shocked
    Even *I* want to sleep with him!

No need to be shocked. I know women who don't fancy the likes of Christiano Ronaldo or David Beckham.

In my experience, I've never known a woman who fancied Cristiano Ronaldo. Leastways, none over the age of 14. And that's the way it should be, stupid stuck-up self-worshipping preening peacock that he is. rolleyes

I've known some but it was all about lust. The man has looks, body and oodles of skill but I doubt there's anyone who loves him more than he loves himself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE INSIDER (Lisa Gerrard & Pieter Bourke)

I really dislike this film, but WOW -- what an excellent score (just got it)! Exactly my kind of stuff, with lofty ethereal textures. The track "Faith" is absolutely fantastic and another great addition to my Religious Sound playlist.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Fifty Shades of Grey (Danny Elfman)

Haven't seen the film (though most people say it's safe and rather boring) but if the music is an indicator, I say it's safe and boring. The final tracks are rather interesting (Bliss is quite lovely) but altogether, it's completely devoid of the sexual tension of masterpieces such as Basic Instinct and Body Heat. Expected more of this
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    SNAP!

NP : FIFTY SHADES OF GREY - Danny Elfman

Safe? Yes! Boring? Not to me! I have no intention of seeing the film ever so I'll take the music on its own merits and so far I'm really enjoying this.

The choral track 'Bliss' is gorgeous ( you'll love this one Thor ), a welcome cross of Thomas Tallis and Georges Delerue.
  7. Thor wrote
    christopher wrote
    NP - WHEN MARNIE WAS THERE - Yugo Kanno

I think I got a promo of this awhile back, but that it didn't stick around in my collection for whatever reason. Of course, I'm not sure if what I got was that disc or something more expanded which didn't suit my fancy. In either case, it sounds interesting (although 25 minutes is on the short side even for me!).

Btw, Kanno's score for another recent series -- GUNSHI KANBEI -- is absolutely fantastic!

Oops! I attributed this to Kanno, who did excellent work on GUNSHI KANEI, indeed, but I should have said that it was written by Takatsugu Muramatsu. shame

25 minutes, anymore, is just the right length for me. I rarely listen to a whole score anymore unless I'm just listening to it for one of the first times. And those first listens are usually just to identify the best music from the album, which is usually all I'll listen to of it in the future. Film scores, by necessity, include a bunch of music that provides little more than ambiance for the films they accompany. It takes a truly exceptional score for me to want to listen to all of it. I only have 5 or 6 scores, probably, that I will listen to in their entirety. It's just so easy to improve the listening experience by deleting a track or five. Or if the album really isn't strong, only ever listening to one or two cues.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ah, that explains it!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MANHUNTER (various)

One of my favourite 'songtracks' -- Mann is a master at these, btw, however frustrating it is for his composers -- including score cues by Michel Rubini, Shriekback etc.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Yes, I'm a bit sad that there won't be a BLACKHAT album.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Oh, absolutely. That would have been a great album too. Except for 4-5 glaring flaws, I found it to be a great film with lots of Mann's trademark deliciousness in vistas and staging.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. I haven't seen it yet. (I did watch PUBLIC ENEMIES and MANHUNTER again last weekend though, so obviously I'm in the mood for another film from him.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    And I've been picking up the remaining Mann soundtracks that I didn't own before (in fact, I had intended to do a Mann episode of Celluloid Tunes, before settling on the tribute to Tangerine Dream instead).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: COLLATERAL (James Newton Howard)

Mann and JNH seems like a match made in heaven, due to JNH's close relationship to cities and his gifts of painting cityscapes in beautiful strokes. This is a great example of that, even though it has a definite thriller element too (more beats & jazz, less ambiance).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    50 you know whats - Elfman

I haven't been very interested by anything Elfman's done for a dramatic film in a while - his non-film stuff and the documentaries have been good, but it's felt like he's been going through the motions most of the time to me. I would never have expected this to be the film that would inspire him to do something other than go through the motions, but for whatever reason that does seem to have been the case.