• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2015 edited
    50 you know whats - Elfman

I haven't been very interested by anything Elfman's done for a dramatic film in a while - his non-film stuff and the documentaries have been good, but it's felt like he's been going through the motions most of the time to me. I would never have expected this to be the film that would inspire him to do something other than go through the motions, but for whatever reason that does seem to have been the case.

Looking forward to getting it. I've just ordered the CD. These days, it's an event every time I order a CD. Unlike you, I like a lot of what Elfman has been doing lately. I love the fact that he's doing smaller films and less of the bombastic action stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Am I the only one who sniggers at "going through the motions" in case of... this particular movie? biggrin

I will hear the score, won't watch the movie.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Thor wrote
    NP: COLLATERAL (James Newton Howard)

Mann and JNH seems like a match made in heaven, due to JNH's close relationship to cities and his gifts of painting cityscapes in beautiful strokes. This is a great example of that, even though it has a definite thriller element too (more beats & jazz, less ambiance).

I do like Pinto's finale a bit more than JNH's version though. (The 'Requiem' cue?) I don't know that the film would have had the resonance it had if Mann had chosen otherwise.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I agree. As usual, though, the soundtrack is an eclectic mix of songs and score that -- for once -- doesn't QUITE gel as organically as it usually does with Mann albums.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    50 you know whats - Elfman

This is Michael Nyman's response to the score
    I have not seen anyone congratulating Danny Elfman on his triumph of composing quite an interesting score to 50 Shades of Grey, in response to a more or less blank screen.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2015
    :like:
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    SNAP!

NP : FIFTY SHADES OF GREY - Danny Elfman

Safe? Yes! Boring? Not to me! I have no intention of seeing the film ever so I'll take the music on its own merits and so far I'm really enjoying this.

The choral track 'Bliss' is gorgeous ( you'll love this one Thor ), a welcome cross of Thomas Tallis and Georges Delerue.

And again. :like:
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. The samples sound great!
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Did I mention that I had ordered the CD? A CD, FOLKS!

A COMPACT DISC!!!
    I am extremely serious.
  4. So, you'll copy it and trash the CD, like I've read you doing in the past?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    What?!?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE TIME MACHINE (Klaus Badelt)

Superb score! Was doing AVATAR long before AVATAR! smile
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Also it was doing ADIEMUS long after ADIEUMS. wink

I agree, it's a superb score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I thought Adiemus too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Adi-what?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: CLIFF MARTINEZ AT FILM FEST GENT (Cliff Martinez)

Most of my friends in Ghent were disappointed by this concert last year, and while I also missed a few elements, I think I was the most positive of them all -- but that's because I adore Martinez to begin with. This album, recorded by Brossé and the Brussels Philharmonic in advance of the event, is gorgeous. Beautiful orchestral renditions of Cliff's lean, electronically driven music.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Adi-what?

Seriously Thor? You!? You don't know of Karl Jenkins ??? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adiemus

ADIEMUS
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Adi-what?

Seriously Thor? You!? You don't know of Karl Jenkins ??? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adiemus

ADIEMUS

I've heard the name Karl Jenkins before and that song I've obviously heard many times before. Wasn't aware of its name, however. While I agree that there are elements of the TIME MACHINE and AVATAR and whatnot here (just as in Enya, Era, Deep Forest, Enigma etc.), there's also other elements that are NOT in this music.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Adi-what?

ADIEMUS

I've heard the name Karl Jenkins before and that song I've obviously heard many times before. Wasn't aware of its name, however. While I agree that there are elements of the TIME MACHINE and AVATAR and whatnot here (just as in Enya, Era, Deep Forest, Enigma etc.), there's also other elements that are NOT in this music.

Do you know Mike Oldfield's Music of the Spheres? It's a colaboration with Karl Jenkins.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, I listened to that on Spotify once after a recommendation from Timmer, I believe, but didn't know Jenkins was involved. I'm not really that big an Oldfield fan (not as much as you and Timmer anyway). His minimalism and style in general can be a bit grating at times.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Yes I prefer Youngglen myself.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Scribe wrote
    Yes I prefer Youngglen myself.

confused
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Who???
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    i don't know where the hiding behind couch smiley is but I need it right now
  7. Pst! ... Thor!, Timmer!

Old-Field
    Young-Glen

See?

Scribe?! This one hurts. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - T Newman

Essentially more of the same from the first one. Which in my book is a good thing. Very enjoyable.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - T Newman

Essentially more of the same from the first one. Which in my book is a good thing. Very enjoyable.

I'm a sucker for Indian influenced westernised scores. I loved the first one so more along the same lines sounds good to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Captain Future wrote

it hurts me too
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Pst! ... Thor!, Timmer!

Old-Field
    Young-Glen

See?

Way too advanced for me. I prefer people falling on their asses.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2015 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Mad Monkey - Antoine Duhamel

Quite a creepy orchestral score this one. For a 1989 Jeff Goldblum film I've never heard of.

Listening to this one again.

There's a definite late-80s Howard Shore about Duhamel's The Mad Monkey (El Sueño del Mono Loco), particularly in the string writing (where there's also a whiff of Bernard Herrmann also). And I keep getting (coincidental) reminders of Shore's music for Smaug too!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn