• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2015 edited
    NP: Attack of the Clones - John Williams

If you take out the Zam and Jango v. Obi-Won action cues, the concert version of the love theme and The Arena what are you left with?

sleep

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2015
    ... a decent score, mother fucker angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    Enthusiasm is good! Personally, I haven't found any score this year (so far) that has really impressed me (I don't want to pass judgement on WOLF TOTEM untill I have the soundtrack).

I know you are still waiting for that synth 80's pop score to pop up! I hope you find it!

-Erik-

Indeed! I hope so.

There is IT FOLLOWS in that vein, of course -- my favourite film of the year so far with a spectacular score by Disasterpeace that channels John Carpenter and Tangerine Dream. But I think it works better in the film than on CD.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SWORDFISH (Paul Oakenfold)

A fantastic score -- in fact, one of my favourite Oakenfold albums (also including studio albums). EDM at its very best and most sophisticated.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Scribe wrote
    Wolf Totem would have to be among the Top 10 of Horner's career to even think about unseating Jupiter Ascending for me.

It is!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    OK, probably not. But it's not far behind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Phantom Menace - John Williams

That's more like it! Bloody brilliant!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Everything STAR WARS is brilliant. E-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g. smile
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Not everything...

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    Everything STAR WARS is brilliant. E-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g. smile

Ha!
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Erik Woods wrote

If you take out the Zam and Jango v. Obi-Won action cues, the concert version of the love theme and The Arena what are you left with?

sleep

It has the dullest post-Main Title cue of the entire Star Wars saga. It didn't make it to the album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Kingsman - Jackman and Margeson

Disposable but entertaining.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2015 edited
    Still playing Wolf Totem...

Wow! Just wow! It's probably one of the "freshest" scores of Horner's career. I could trace only a few nods to previous scores... Brianstrom and Aliens come to mind in one action cue. The four note danger motif makes one brief, yet incredibly annoying cameo... but the rest is fucking phenomenal!

The story is so clearly painted in Horner's notes. It's a dramatic powerhouse (that last cue... HOLY SHIT!) This is one I'll be glad to return to time and time again!! An instant Horner classic!!! Highly recommended!!!!

-Erik-
  2. Yeah, it's a good one. After being downright offended by Cristiada, this is more up the alley. The references are there, yes (with the cue title it's actually quite telling that it goes from Master Alarm to Futile Escape biggrin ). There is a much bigger sense of building dramatic intensity (Cristiada was pretty much one - high at that! - note in that regard). Yeah, a very good score I will return to.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2015
    It does have some really lovely and quite powerful moments, and its fresh sound is a very nice surprise (with the added bonus of some 80s Horner). But... I can't quite connect with it a much as everyone else seems to be? I could think of loads of other Horner scores I prefer to this. It's a shame, I'd love to enjoy this one as much as others are, but alas it's not to be.

Bring on the next Horner score please.
  3. I think this is one that may grow with repeated listenings smile .
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    That's my hope too.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Fifty Shades of Grey - Danny Elfman

Like most of Elfman's scores these days, it sorta went in one ear and out the other. Reminded me a lot of Standard Operating Procedure but I'm not sure why I shouldn't just put that score on instead. It definitely gets more interesting near the end, with "Bliss" being a striking highlight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Steven wrote
    It does have some really lovely and quite powerful moments, and its fresh sound is a very nice surprise (with the added bonus of some 80s Horner). But... I can't quite connect with it a much as everyone else seems to be? I could think of loads of other Horner scores I prefer to this. It's a shame, I'd love to enjoy this one as much as others are, but alas it's not to be.

This time I agree with you. I found it quite technically masterful and full of symphonic ear candy but I didn't feel any sort of significant emotional connection to it. Nevertheless, it's still wonderful to hear a new Horner again but it's certainly not going to be score of the year or anything unless the themes (if there were any?) grow on me massively upon future listens.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  4. Oh there's a theme alright. You hear it about 50 times in the last 15 minutes of the score, all of which was wonderful (the theme and those last 15 minutes). I'm very happy about this score. I think will be one of my favorites of the year.
  5. Erik Woods wrote

sleep

-Erik-

But that's nearly half an hour of music you've taken out. Any score with half an hour of good music isn't doing too badly for itself, is it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

sleep

-Erik-

But that's nearly half an hour of music you've taken out. Any score with half an hour of good music isn't doing too badly for itself, is it?

Meh!

-Erik-
  6. "Angel" (Robert J. Kral)

Last chance listen, also with suite making in mind. This is the score CD with selections from the show, released by Rounder Records a decade ago. I think I got it very cheaply or in trade -- I don't recall. One score track by Christophe Beck is also included (and four songs); he helped out a little in the beginning to launch Kral off.

Bits and pieces were nice, some more enjoyable than others, but the conhesive nature wasn't there in almost every single cue because of on-screen action.

I only enjoyed one cue from start to finish, the track titled Princess Cordelia, which in my opinion strikes me (the opening and closing) to be very much like something Goldsmith might have done:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3I-9ktIx88

There's a lot of percussion, low brass and strings, some synth work, ideas both orchestrational and compositional from Beck's BtVS work, and some rather annoying action material (I don't care for that Beltrami thin percussion sound with ticking percussion underlining it).

I'll probably get two or three good suites out of it, but as a whole I'll have no further need for the CD.

Why is it that when ever there's a CD with scoring from a TV show and an extended version of the opening theme, score or song, is included that wasn't heard on TV, it's always annoying or weak aside from the stuff previously know? I'm sure there's probably exceptions, but I can't name one at the moment.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  7. What about The X-Files? I seriously think that the extended version is better than the one in the show. I could say the same thing about Snow's Millennium theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    There's a few tv themes I only have in extended form where I really just want the original (like The A-Team, which just goes on and on and on on that Silva Mike Post album).
  8. Oh yeah, true.
  9. Southall wrote
    There's a few tv themes I only have in extended form where I really just want the original...

That's definitely a recurring comment I have about favourite TV themes. Dennis Wilson's theme for Faulty Towers is another case in point.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  10. I forgot about "MillenniuM" -- that's a good one. I feel "The X-Files" was just a rehash (unless you're refering to something different on the LLLR's volumes, which I don't have yet).
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  11. I was thinking of The Truth and the Light, the first score album from the series (arguably not the best one on the planet)