• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2015 edited
    I've never heard any Duhamel outside the French New Wave, so I'd be curious to hear it (although the Shore comparison doesn't bode well for me).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2015
    You just think it's a coincidence...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. Scribe wrote
    You just think it's a coincidence...

Well, that's an obvious assumption that I didn't think that needed pointing out. All the composers use the same notes (but not necessarily in the same order) and there's bound to be times when a certain sequence of notes fires off an association with something else I'd heard.

As Duhamel's score was written several decades before Shore wrote his music for Smaug, I'd assumed people wouldn't think that Duhamel hadn't copied a theme that Shore wouldn't write himself for a number of years.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    sorry i was just teasing. and i found humorous the mental image of Shore digging through obscure old music for things to copy
  2. NP: Foxcatcher (Simonsen / Thordson / Danna)

Great to hear a score written out of the inspiration of Part's 'Fur Alina'. (Also included here in that great ECM extended version.) Mostly this is solo piano (with good spatial acoustics to give it a fuller sound), and there's also some string and electronic layers. The score has great presence in the film, and is fine music to meditate on away from the film.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Scribe wrote
    sorry i was just teasing. and i found humorous the mental image of Shore digging through obscure old music for things to copy

No need to apologise. Perhaps I should have added a " wink " to the end of my own comment? wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Foxcatcher (Simonsen / Thordson / Danna)

Great to hear a score written out of the inspiration of Part's 'Fur Alina'. (Also included here in that great ECM extended version.) Mostly this is solo piano (with good spatial acoustics to give it a fuller sound), and there's also some string and electronic layers. The score has great presence in the film, and is fine music to meditate on away from the film.

I hated this film with a vengeance.

But I'm a fan of Rob Simonsen and Danna and the score may very well be OK on its own.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. But don't you think the nose was highly effective?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Argh....the nose! THE NOSE!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Star Trek Michael Giacchino

My favourite Giacchino theme. It's relatively simple, and absolutely brilliant.
  5. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    John Jupiter Of Mars Ascending Michael Giacchino

I think the Aussie and his paper score is holding top spot for 2015 so far, but this is a close second.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2015
    Steven wrote

It's not "rounded", not full bodied but it is bloody wonderful. I loved it from the first listen.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2015 edited
    Steven wrote
    John Jupiter Of Mars Ascending Michael Giacchino

I think the Aussie and his paper score is holding top spot for 2015 so far, but this is a close second.

confused maybe Paper Planes will grow on me, but it seemed only "good" on my first listen. Nowhere near in the league of Jupiter Ascending, which has a much broader scope.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Jupiter Ascending is fantastic and I love it, don't me wrong, but Paper Planes has an element of sheer joy that Jup Asc can't quite compete with (in that regard). I suppose it depends on your mood. Crikey, both will feature high in my end-of-year list no doubt.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

It's not "rounded", not full bodied but it is bloody wonderful. I loved it from the first listen.

That's the odd thing, it isn't the conventional full-bodied theme like you say, but my level of air-conducting is rather the same as when the Force theme plays, or when I hear Goldsmith's (admittedly superior) Trek theme for example. It fits the film perfectly, which is the best compliment I think you can pay it. The second best compliment is IT'S ALWAYS IN MY FUCKING HEAD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Steven wrote
    Jupiter Ascending is fantastic and I love it, don't me wrong, but Paper Planes has an element of sheer joy that Jup Asc can't quite compete with (in that regard). I suppose it depends on your mood. Crikey, both will feature high in my end-of-year list no doubt.

Yeah, with the joy element I keep hearing about I was expecting something that moved me like Metsan Tarina does (probably the most joyful new theme I've heard in the past 2 years), but I didn't get that from Paper Planes. I will keep trying though. I must say though, a lot of the action music in Jupiter Ascending, while not necessarily "joyful" is a lot more, shall I say, pleasantly exuberant? than most recent works in the genre!
  6. Angels in America - Thomas Newman
    I forgot how scary some of this music is. Newman should totally do a horror film.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Angels in America - Thomas Newman
    I forgot how scary some of this music is. Newman should totally do a horror film.

I was really disappointed he didn't do Frank Darabont's excellent THE MIST.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. "Wolf Totem" (Horner)

Some good bits here and there, but overall I find myself unable to connect with it. And of course once again the borrowings from passed scores of his, rears its ugly head.

Some of the repeating action hits in two or three cues, just to me, after hearing his older efforts, lazy.

That opening track, especially the beginning, would have been so much more enjoyable if not for that wailing woman.

Having said all that, it's still a classy and consumate effort. Almost no film composer alive does what he does on a consistant basis.

I've got about eleven more minutes to go.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  8. NP: Ladyhawke (1985) - Andrew Powell
    GNP edition.

Fun blend of rock and symphonic film music.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Was there ever any chance there would not be a wailing woman in Wolf Totem?

I do not think there was.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Fifty Shades of Grey - D Elfman

This just gets better and better. Best thing he's written for a dramatic film in years.
  9. justin boggan wrote
    "Wolf Totem" (Horner)

That opening track, especially the beginning, would have been so much more enjoyable if not for that wailing woman.

Agreed! I really like everything about that track a lot. Except for the wailing woman who pretty much ruins every good about that piece of music.

Scribe wrote
    Was there ever any chance there would not be a wailing woman in Wolf Totem?

I do not think there was.

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Wolf Totem

It is hard to imagine that this won't end up being my favourite film music of 2015. Outstanding!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2015 edited
    NP: Wolf Totem - James Horner

I'm speechless! This is GORGEOUS!

We are only two months into 2015 and I could populate a top 10 of 2015 easily. 2015 could be one of the strongest film music years EVER if it keeps going at this pace.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2015
    Southall wrote
    Wolf Totem

It is hard to imagine that this won't end up being my favourite film music of 2015. Outstanding!

Star Wars: The Force Awakens > Everything else!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2015 edited
    Enthusiasm is good! Personally, I haven't found any score this year (so far) that has really impressed me (I don't want to pass judgement on WOLF TOTEM untill I have the soundtrack).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Wolf Totem

Star Wars: The Force Awakens > Everything else!

-Erik-

Wolf Totem would have to be among the Top 10 of Horner's career to even think about unseating Jupiter Ascending for me. Star Wars is really the only one I feel reasonably certain will do that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Enthusiasm is good! Personally, I haven't found any score this year (so far) that has really impressed me (I don't want to pass judgement on WOLF TOTEM untill I have the soundtrack).

I know you are still waiting for that synth 80's pop score to pop up! I hope you find it!

-Erik-