• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2015
    Ref Jupiter Ascending

Erik Woods wrote
    There are 3-4 cues in the middle of the album (and a few scattered about) that just suck the energy out of the score

Give this a try.

01. Commitment
    02. Flying Dinosaur Fight
    03. The Titus Clipper
    04. The Abrasax Family Tree
    05. It’s A Hellava Chase
    06. Digging Up The Flirt
    07. Scrambled Eggs
    08. Dinosaur To New Heights
    09. The Houses Of Abrasax
    10. The Shadow Chase
    11. Abdicate This!
    12. Family Jeopardy
    13. Flying Dinosaur Fight with Guts
    14. Jupiter Ascending - 1st Movement
    15. Jupiter Ascending - 2nd Movement
    16. Jupiter Ascending - 3rd Movement
    17. Jupiter Ascending - 4th Movement
  1. NP: Cocoon (1985) - James Horner

Unique mix of swing and symphonic music. Top Horner!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Jupiter Ascending Michael Giacchino

This is spooktacular.
  2. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Scribe wrote
    NP: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - Howard Shore.

It does just drag on and on, doesn't it? It's all competent enough, it's all theoretically entertaining enough, but it's so monochromatic and there's only a few moments of the transcendent beauty that the original trilogy was full of.

What happened to you, man? You were one of the staunchest defenders back during the great Desolation of Smaug debates. cry

Most faiths need a steady stream of miracles to keep the faithful happy. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote

This is spooktacular.

I fear this is too full of the dreaded 'b' word, but I'm willing to give it a chance after all this rave. I actually liked JOHN CARTER (one of the few MG scores I've enjoyed for the most part), and this seems to be in the same territory.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Oh it is. It's brilliant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Tis indeed!
  3. Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

This is spooktacular.

I fear this is too full of the dreaded 'b' word, but I'm willing to give it a chance after all this rave. I actually liked JOHN CARTER (one of the few MG scores I've enjoyed for the most part), and this seems to be in the same territory.

You will love it's two disc length! You will love the bombast! This will change your live! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote

Which mean Thor will hate it!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2015 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

Which mean Thor will hate it!

-Erik-

There is a fairly big chance of that, yes. But I'm coloured curious! The film looks dreadful, though. I don't know what the Wachowskis have been smoking since the MATRIX days...
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Actually, the film looks visually stunning. Isn't's that one, if not, the most important requirement of a film being one of your favourites or not? I mean, that's all that Prometheus had going for it. wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    Actually, the film looks visually stunning.

It does that. And the concept sounds like fun. And Sean Bean. But then I see Channing Tatum and his stupid elf ears...nope! And that stupid exchange between him and Mila Kunis about dogs...nope nope! slant

Will definitely be waiting on some word-of-mouth for this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2015 edited
    It looks visually overwhelming in the kind of way that all the recent Marvel superhero films do -- i.e. total overkill. There doesn't seem to be a particular style or approach to the visuals other than adding layer on layer -- the same approach that "killed" SPEED RACER and CLOUD ATLAS. Expensive kitsch!

But I'll await final judgement untill I've seen it. I'm curious to see if a 'space opera' film has the feet to land on in this day and age.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2015
    NP : JUPITER ASCENDING - Michael Giacchino

My second listen. This is BLOODY BRILLIANT!!!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Tis indeed!
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome - Maurice Jarre

Never been a huge fan of this composer (especially his electronics which are possibly the most unlistenable in the history of film composition) but this is a masterpiece, made all the more apparent by the expanded two disc release. Grand themes, brilliant suspense and the action, culminating in the stupendous 12 minute 'The Big Chase' is something to marvel at. And then there's 'Pigrock' - extraordinary and bizarre. Has any composer ever elicited such a sound out of the saxophone before?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: JUPITER ASCENDING (Michael Giacchino)

On Spotify. I don't HATE it, as previously surmised, but I don't really care for it either, and I'm certainly a LONG way from all the crazy praise I see everywhere. This is another confirmation of why Giacchino is simply not for me. It also makes me painfully aware of the fact that the only big and boisterous and traditional film music I listen to and enjoy these days, is the stuff I grew up with in my formative years. Of course, it doesn't help that the album is poorly presented and arranged.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    David OC wrote
    Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome - Maurice Jarre

Never been a huge fan of this composer (especially his electronics which are possibly the most unlistenable in the history of film composition) but this is a masterpiece, made all the more apparent by the expanded two disc release. Grand themes, brilliant suspense and the action, culminating in the stupendous 12 minute 'The Big Chase' is something to marvel at. And then there's 'Pigrock' - extraordinary and bizarre. Has any composer ever elicited such a sound out of the saxophone before?

Awesome, AWESOME score. And I love that "dirty" sax playing. love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    3:10 To Yuma Marco

This is spooktacular.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: IRONCLAD (Lorne Balfe)

This is pretty good -- one of Balfe's best solo efforts?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I've not heard that one, but Assassin's Creed III is an excellent Balfe solo score!
  5. Timmer wrote
    NP : JUPITER ASCENDING - Michael Giacchino

My second listen. This is BLOODY BRILLIANT!!!

Yes! Yes! Yes! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Thor wrote
    NP: IRONCLAD (Lorne Balfe)

This is pretty good -- one of Balfe's best solo efforts?

FWIW, it's one of his most memorable one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote
    3:10 To Yuma Marco

This is spooktacular.

Good score. The movie wasn't a scary ghost movie though. Perhaps Marco's score was so good it gave you shivers and goosebumps?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No, it's a western I believe.
  6. It was. A boring 2007 remake of a 1957 film for which George Duning wrote the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I enjoyed it! As far as I remember... it was 2007 when I watched it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote

Of course. I'm at a loss at why the score is so "spooktacular".

Captain Future wrote
    It was. A boring 2007 remake of a 1957 film for which George Duning wrote the score.

Eh, I enjoyed the movie. It was much better than most remakes. Russel Crowe and Christian Bale was good, though I would have been interested in seeing them switch acting role. And Ben Foster's role made me a fan of his acting chop.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    lp wrote
    Steven wrote

Of course. I'm at a loss at why the score is so "spooktacular".

Me too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: How To Train Your Dragons 2 - John Powell

This is an excellent, rousing score. This score better damn get the Oscar nod for Best Animation Score.