• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2015
    The Journey Inside - David Shire

Brilliant! I hope Erik has bought this. Right up his street I would imagine - and right up mine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I need more specificity. Would Thor like it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    He would if it said "Composed by John Williams" on the cover, but it doesn't, so he wouldn't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The River Wild - Maurice Jarre

Well bugger me. This is great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2015 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I would agree with you if not for the action music, which is far from intimate and, I actually think, quite tired. I think this score is pretty much why Spidey 2 and Interstellar are so different.

We've talked about this before but I think the action music in Man of Steel is Zimmer's best since At World's End.

Also if you're saying that you think Zimmer switched styles because he himself was tired of writing that kind of action music, that is an interesting point and I'm sure you would be in a better position to know than most of us. If he is happier experimenting with new techniques then more power to him. But I wish he would go back to the old style. Contrary to certain stereotypes, there's very little good classic Zimmer/MV style action music out there, considering that it's mostly been replaced by the Bourne style over the last decade, and they are not the same thing at all. But Man of Steel brought the old style back. I mean there are direct echos of The Lion King in Man of Steel's action music. But updated enough that it doesn't sound cheesy or dated, no, it sounds epic and portentious and thrilling.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. Cor blimey. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2015 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I would agree with you if not for the action music, which is far from intimate and, I actually think, quite tired. I think this score is pretty much why Spidey 2 and Interstellar are so different.

Also if you're saying that you think Zimmer switched styles because he himself was tired of writing that kind of action music, that is an interesting point and I'm sure you would be in a better position to know than most of us. If he is happier experimenting with new techniques then more power to him. But I wish he would go back to the old style. Contrary to certain stereotypes, there's very little good classic Zimmer/MV style action music out there, considering that it's mostly been replaced by the Bourne style over the last decade, and they are not the same thing at all. But Man of Steel brought the old style back. I mean...there are direct echos of The Lion King in Man of Steel's action music. But updated enough that it doesn't sound cheesy or dated, no, it sounds epic and portentious and thrilling and I want 100 more scores worth of it. It's the sound that brought me into film music fandom through scores like Armageddon, The Time Machine and Zimmer-Collaborators Of The Carribean: Curse of the Last-Minute-Silvestri-Replacement and it's still the most exciting sound to me. I guess we all never forget our roots.
  2. My favorite bit of action music in Man of Steel is actually If You Love These People, which goes as far as to Broken Arrow (!) and I love these moments. What I don't like is when he retreads the ostinati and it really sounds quite tired to me. If You Love These People and the beginning of Terraforming (rhythms harkening back at The Rock) are definitely the action highlights there. What I don't like is stuff like Oil Rig.

I do like the old-school Media Ventures kind of Hans' style. Crimson Tide to this day belongs, in my opinion, to major Zimmer highlights (though I could fight about how badly the album is compiled a lot), I grew to like Broken Arrow and The Rock a lot. The Lion King grew on me more on the Legacy edition, after I got used to the more comedic parts, which aren't that easy to consider easily...

As much as I like his older stuff in the action vein (in an ironic twist of fate, the score that got me into film music, The Rock, is a "reverse Inception" experience for me - I was maybe not lukewarm, but quite cautious with Inception, but it grew on me a lot... I don't really like The Rock as much as I did earlier, because quite a bit of the score is incoherent mess). From all that stuff Crimson Tide is the best thriller he wrote at that time on an artistic level. But when it comes to structure... I'm really, really into The Peacemaker smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I think the ostinati in Man of Steel are interesting because they're at a higher level of quality and intelligence than they are when used by most other composers. Zimmer is the one who brought that technique to the forefront of modern action music and he knows how to use it best. But I can understand thinking tracks like Oil Rig are a bit cliche and tired. Fortunately they're only a very small portion of the overall score.

Is The Rock really a Zimmer score so much as it's an HGW and NGS score? I hear a lot more of their particular styles on it than I do Zimmer's himself.
  3. The Rock was a desperate last-minute rescue-job, so it's that more complex.

And really, Bourne did that kind of thing better. I love the Batman and Inception ostinati, just hearing that approach alongside some of Zimmer's best structural thinking and most intimate thematic writing in ages makes me that much more against the action music in Man of Steel.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2015
    Well, I respect your opinion and I can see where you're coming from. I'll still love it though smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    Well, I respect your opinion and I can see where you're coming from. I'll still love it though smile

[cliché] you like what you like. In the end that is all that matters [/end of cliché]
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Today would have been the 86th birthday of the greatest composer of music to film that has lived. Personally I don't need much prompting to play music in his honour when so much of it is brilliant.

NP : THE WIND AND THE LION - Jerry Goldsmith

love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: A ROYAL AFFAIR (Gabriel Yared)

Slow-moving and beautiful -- just the way I like it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Timmer wrote
    Today would have been the 86th birthday of the greatest composer of music to film that has lived. Personally I don't need much prompting to play music in his honour when so much of it is brilliant.

NP : THE WIND AND THE LION - Jerry Goldsmith

love

So well put Tim.

NP: First Knight - Jerry Goldsmith
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    My shuffling threw up "The Forest Battle" from Return of the Jedi. What a cue!
  4. Jerry Goldsmith - Medicine Man

Celebrating (a bit belated here) his 86th birthday with a popular score that I don't know the best (I heard it before, but perhaps once or twice before only, mostly single cues and actually that's not The Trees).
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2015
    NP: Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Replacement Score - by Hans Zimmer secretly directing an army of 247 subcomposers

It seems so silly and generic now. Especially given the "overproduced" recording quality. Still has a fond place in my heart though. smile
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Aquamarine - David Hirschfelder

Very decent score actually. Nothing particularly memorable about it but some of the orchestrations are quite interesting.
  5. NP - BALLET BOYS - Henrik Scram

I listened to this once months ago and just thought I'd revisit it as I couldn't remember a bit of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2015 edited
    NP: GALAPAGOS 3D (various)

Never seen the series (I think), but as usual with British nature documentaries, there's always good music. There are several composers involved here, including Joel Douek, and I don't think the score has had a commercial release yet. Too bad.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SAFE HAVEN (Deborah Lurie)

This is a nice score -- a weird mix of beautiful romance and throbbing thriller moods. Never seen the film, but was surprised to see it was directed by Lasse Hallström.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    christopher wrote
    NP - BALLET BOYS - Henrik Scram

I listened to this once months ago and just thought I'd revisit it as I couldn't remember a bit of it.

One of last year's highlights for me! Btw, it's Skram, not Scram.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Thor wrote

Never seen the series (I think), but as usual with British nature documentaries, there's always good music. There are several composers involved here, including Joel Douek, and I don't think the score has had a commercial release yet. Too bad.

I'd love to get hold of this Thor, I worked on all the underwater sequences in the series. Have you got a promo?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    John Chambers wrote
    Thor wrote

I'd love to get hold of this Thor, I worked on all the underwater sequences in the series. Have you got a promo?

I do. Great to hear that you were involved in this. Now I have another reason to seek it out!
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Thor wrote
    christopher wrote
    NP - BALLET BOYS - Henrik Scram

One of last year's highlights for me! Btw, it's Skram, not Scram.

So it is!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: THE VOYAGE OF THE DAWN THREADER (David Arnold)

Is that the world's most cumbersome film title or what? Anyways, a fine score -- especially the main theme which is classic Arnold -- but again the whole thing is too long. This belongs in my category of albums that could be really great if some 20 minutes were weeded out (which also includes Arnold's THE STEPFORD WIVES, btw) and otherwise rearranged for listening.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    By the way, I've currently deleted about 50 albums. More will fall!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE COUNSELOR (Daniel Pemberton)

The film was disappointing (even for a crazy Ridley Scott fanboy like myself), but the score has something going for it. The moody, barren landscapes with electric guitars etc. A kinda somber version of THELMA & LOUISE, if you will.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I realize it's the second time today I've played and said I liked the score, only to subsequently delete it afterwards (previously with SAFE HAVEN, now with THE COUNSELOR). These albums simply wither away after just 5-6 tracks.
    I am extremely serious.