• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2008 edited
    Score

Atonement (Dario Marianelli)
    The Kite Runner (Alberto Iglesias)
    Michael Clayton (James Newton Howard)
    Ratatouille (Michael Giacchino)
    3:10 to Yuma (Marco Beltrami)

Way to go, Marco and Michael!

Song

“Falling Slowly” from “Once”
    Music and Lyric by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova

“Happy Working Song” from “Enchanted”
    Music by Alan Menken
    Lyric by Stephen Schwartz

“Raise It Up” from “August Rush”
    Nominees to be determined

“So Close” from “Enchanted”
    Music by Alan Menken

“That’s How You Know” from “Enchanted”
    Music by Alan Menken

Ummm... how did they miss any of the great tunes from Into The Wild?! And THREE tunes from Enchanted. What a waste. They really have to clean this category up and limited films to one nomination only.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2008
    MICHAEL FUCKING CLAYTON?!

OH

MY

GOD!

This is fucking hilarious!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Wooow. biggrin

Michael Clayton is, obviously, the odd one out.
    Interesting that they choose 3:10 to Yuma actually.
    Kazoo
  1. NO LUST, CAUTION??????
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Once again, Michael Clayton?! What the hell?

Other than that, not bad other than the lack of Lust, Caution. Congratulations to Michael Giacchino and Marco Beltrami!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Christodoulides wrote

Who told you? wink

In all honesty, I listen to it a lot when I´m writing, and, speaking about creating a very specific kind of atmosphere, this is a perfect thing for me. Sometimes I have it spinning in my drive for hours without a break, and I find to make really big steps forward during that time. I can´t tell you why, it´s just perfect for me.

That said, I find this nomination specifically ridiculous nevertheless, when there are so many good things to choose from. They´ve outdone themselves this time. I wouldn´t be surprised if it actually wins the golden boy. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Good selections this year, in all categories, with the obvious weirdos here and there, but that happens on every award!

Michael Clayton must be really good in the movie then?
    Gonna see it soon. As you know, I liked the music.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Erik Woods wrote
    Michael Clayton (James Newton Howard)

Well done James for getting a nomination but for fuck's sake...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Atonement will win.

It's released on cd by Universal.
    If you go back to previous years, you'll see all winners have been released on cd by Universal.

My theory still stands. biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think Santaolalla will take the Oscar this year.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDom
    Well if the academy really started to rate and select the scores in context of the picture seen on screen as they said then the nomination for Howard's Michael Clayton is justified by 100% as the score is perfectly spotted and perfectly supports the movie - although it's quite weak on CD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorelenewton
    That is a GREAT GREAT list IMO !!

Honestly, Michael Clayton is proper to be nominated, as a recognition of of Howard's excellent 2007. Though "I am legend" is vastly better than Clayton, but the fact that it's butchered in the actual film should make it ineligible for nomination.

But my beloved Beltrami got his first Oscar nomination !! That makes my day if you ask me !!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote

OH

MY

GOD!

If I wasn't at work I'd post my thoughts in words. As I sadly am:

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    [b]MICHAEL FUCKING CLAYTON?!

Good news, more chances for Atonement.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    [b]MICHAEL FUCKING CLAYTON?!

Good news, more chances for Atonement.

Sure, and last year Pan's Labyrinth won, eh? With Pride & Prejudice the year before? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Dom wrote
    ...and perfectly supports the movie

Don't most scores? Yes, they do!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    My support goes with Giacchino. Give him an Oscar already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote

Give him an Oscar already? This is his FIRST nomination.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDom
    Erik Woods wrote
    Dom wrote

-Erik-

I wouldn't say that in general. There a are a lot of scores that have (or almost) ruined the movie or didn't work.

Nonetheless I am for Dario and Marco!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

Give him an Oscar already? This is his FIRST nomination.

-Erik-

Exactly my point. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    elenewton wrote
    Honestly, Michael Clayton is proper to be nominated, as a recognition of of Howard's excellent 2007.

Sorry mate but this is bull to me. Nominate a crap score, one of the year's most disappointing and draft film works out of all the gorgeous stuff that got released instead 'cause JNH had an "excellent" 2007 - which in fact was one very mediocre year in his resume so far?

C-O-M-E
    O-N!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Overall it's a good list; nothing great but good. I like the fact that the excellent and truly beautiful world music journey that is THE KITE RUNNER is properly acknowledged. It's quality music and one of Igleasias' most accessible works to date, particularly urging everyone to check it out soon, if you haven't already.

ATONEMENT is significantly overrated imo but an Oscar Nomination was to be expected.

3:10 to Yuma is surely a very worthy score and the same goes for Ratatouille; I am very happy about Giacchino getting his first Oscar Nomination. Ratatouille fits the movie like a glove and although not my favorite Giacchino score for sure, still he's one of the most talented (if not THE most) younger composers working today with full efforts in Hollywood and greatly deserving all the recognition he can get. Congrats.

Michael Clayton's inclusion is one major monstrosity in the academy's course so far, way worse than Gustavo Santaolalla's "Babel" which - apart from greatly elevating the movie it accompanied and consisting of some truly beautiful isolated musical compositions like "Deportation/Iguazu", "Tazarine" and "hiding it" just to name a few, it had enough personal musical elements to be considered inventive and to a point-original and certainly miles away from the pointless drone that is "Michael Clayton". I am truly stunned at how low these people can go.

Overall, this is fun (as most awards of this kind should be looked at, imo) and quite a good list certainly but in no way does it represent a selection of the year's most valuable film scores; at any case.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Dom wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Dom wrote

-Erik-

I wouldn't say that in general. There a are a lot of scores that have (or almost) ruined the movie or didn't work.

It's rare that THAT ever happens.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    ATONEMENT is significantly overrated imo but an Oscar Nomination was to be expected.

Goodness gracious me! Hell no! Easily one of the best of the year!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorelenewton
    Christodoulides wrote

I totally agree. Marianelli is overrated IMO.

But my bet would be that Atonement would get the award this year...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Goodness gracious me! Hell no! Easily one of the best of the year!

-Erik-

Absolutely!

Christodoulides wrote
    Overall it's a good list; nothing great but good. I like the fact that the excellent and truly beautiful world music journey that is THE KITE RUNNER is properly acknowledged. It's quality music and one of Igleasias' most accessible works to date, particularly urging everyone to check it out soon, if you haven't already.

That's the only one that I haven't heard. Based on many people's opinions, I'll have to listen to it sooner rather than later.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

OH

MY

GOD!

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Well, it IS the Schmoscars wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

OH

MY

GOD!

Well, it IS the Schmoscars wink

Now I am at home. cheesy Michael Clayton - what the fuck?!

crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    At last im happy, very happy to see composers like Giacchino or Beltrami Nominated!

Unexpected!

BRAVO! beer
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    My money's on Marianelli to take home the Oscar for Atonement (it seems that whenever Marianelli scores a film with Keira Knightley in it he gets an Oscar nod). Although I certainly wouldn't mind having Giacchino win for Ratatouille either.

Erik, I wouldn't be surprised if the song from "Once" snags the Oscar rather than the ones from "Enchanted". Considering Menken won the most Oscars during the late '80s/mid '90s, I reckon the Academy will want to award someone else the prize.

As for Michael Clayton, I've heard snippets of the score but it doesn't sound that bad. It fits the mood of the film, but it's not self-sustaining on album. It's certainly not Oscar-worthy but it's not awful either. It's just... there.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog