• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2015
    Yeah, very weird choice for such a young composer, relatively speaking. I have a sneaking suspicion it is for 'convenience's sake', since he will be in Ghent anyway.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2015
    Regarding the Great British Film Music concert on Thursday. Many of the composers presented will attend the concert as well. Fenton, Doyle, Nyman, ...
    Naturally the concert will include George Fenton’s scores for films by Ken Loach, a director with whom he established a long-standing collaboration. During his career Fenton also composed for Stephen Frears (‘Dangerous Liaisons’, ‘Mary Reilly’), Neil Jordan (‘The Company of Wolves’, ‘High Spirits’) and Richard Attenborough (‘Gandhi’, ‘Cry Freedom’) and will therefore also receive a Lifetime Achievement Award for his entire oeuvre. The work of Michael Nyman, including his mesmerizing music for Peter Greenaway’s films 'The Draughtsman’s Contract’ and ‘Drowning by Numbers’ will also be performed, as well as his hypnotic piano theme from Neil Jordan’s adaptation of Graham Greene’s novel ‘The End of the Affair’.

The Bard cannot be absent at a British film music concert so on that account Stephen Warbeck’s sublime music for ‘Shakespeare in Love’ as well as Patrick Doyle’s score for Kenneth Branagh’s ‘Much Ado About Nothing' will be two of the Shakespeare adaptations on the line up. As announced earlier, Patrick Doyle will also receive a Lifetime Achievement Award at the World Soundtrack Awards Ceremony & Concert on Saturday the 24th of October.

Craig Armstrong will attend the premiere of the concert performance of his music for Thomas Vinterberg’s Thomas Hardy adaptation ‘Far from the Madding Crowd', starring national pride Matthias Schoenaerts. Another concert premiere will be a composition by Alex Heffes for 'The Program', the latest film by Stephen Frears on fallen athlete Lance Armstrong. (Heffes' presence at the festival is still to be confirmed).

In addition to these British contemporary film composers there will be music included from classical composers such as Ralph Vaughan Williams, William Walton and legendary British composers of the sixties and seventies: John Barry (‘The Ipcress File’ and ‘The Knack’), Richard Rodney Bennett (‘Murder on the Orient Express’), Ron Goodwin (‘Where Eagles Dare’) and John Dankworth (‘Modesty Blaise’).
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorkilar30
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2015
    Will be possible that these composers (Fenton, Doyle, Armstrong, Warbeck and Nyman) will be present in the Meet & Greet on Saturday?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2015
    Vote here for Public Choice Award
    http://www.worldsoundtrackawards.com/en/awards
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorkilar30
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2015
    Hi!

This year will be a Meet & Greet on Saturday with Silvestri and other composers?

Thanks
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I don't know yet. As usual, I will post it here as soon as I know.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorkilar30
    Thanks a lot, Bregt
    • CommentAuthorkilar30
    Someone knows the Schedule of the Film Music Seminary (23 October 2015)? And where will take place?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2015 edited
    FILM MUSIC SEMINAR (22 October 2015)

GUESTS
    Morning: George Fenton about his collaboration with Ken Loach
    Afternoon: several British composers discuss collaborations in Britain and America

MORE INFO
    http://www.filmfestival.be/nl/film-muzi … -2015/2685

TICKETS
    https://filmfestivalgent.ticketmatic.co … o&l=en
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2015
    Damn, I'll miss that. I arrive (hopefully) just in time for the concert.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2015 edited
    Well, at least on Friday we have a whole day to be a tourist. wink

Perhaps also cool would be a guided tour to the Vooruit building. I did this during the Gentse Feesten and it's fabulous and interesting, even though I've been there so many times. If interested, I can see if there are English tours.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sure, why not? Lots of steps! smile

I hope I get to meet Fenton and Doyle again, just to say 'hi' from the last time. But the biggest challenge right now is securing a Silvestri interview. I haven't heard anything back from the PR people on that yet.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    No, just a few steps. Less then in my appartment. wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2015 edited
    MEET & GREET (24 October 2015)

GUESTS
    Patrick Doyle, Alan Silvestri and Daniel Pemberton

MORE INFO
    http://www.worldsoundtrackawards.com/en … -2015/2083

SUBSCRIBE
    https://filmfestivalgent.ticketmatic.co … o&l=en (use your WSA ticket for free admission)
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2015
    New nominations

PUBLIC CHOICE AWARD
    At the 15th edition of the World Soundtrack Awards, the winner of the Public Choice Award for the Best Score will be announced. These are the 5 scores of the past year that were most voted for by the public.

- ‘A Little Chaos’ by Peter Gregson
    - ‘Ex Machina’ by Ben Salisbury & Geoff Barrow
    - ‘Far From Men’ by Warren Ellis & Nick Cave
    - ‘The Maze Runner’ by John Paesano
    - ‘Timbuktu’ by Amine Bouhafa

DISCOVERY OF THE YEAR
    The Discovery of the Year Award is aimed at encouraging emerging talent, who have scored not more than six feature films with theatrical releases in total. Besides receiving the award, the winner will perform at the 16th WSAwards in 2016. The nominees for Discovery of 2015 are:

- Alex Ebert for ‘A Most Violent Year’
    - Dominic Lewis for ‘Spooks: The Greater Good’
    - Antonio Sanchez for ‘Birdman’
    - Ben Salisbury & Geoff Barrow for ‘Ex Machina’
    - Zhiyi Wang for ‘But Always’ & ‘Highway of Love’

SABAM AWARD FOR BEST YOUNG COMPOSER
    Each year young film music talent is given the chance to receive the SABAM Award For Best Young Composer. The candidates were instructed to compose music for a scene of ‘The Third Man’ (1949) by Carol Reed, in the context of FFGent’s British focus this year. The winner receives the SABAM Award (with a value of €2.500) and follows in the footsteps of composer Cyril Molesti, winner of 2014. The professional jury consists of Patrick Duynslaegher (Artistic Director FFGent), Dirk Brossé (composer, conductor and Music Director FFGent), composer Michel Herr, Stefan Rycken (manager ACE Image Factory), Hans Helewaut (Managing director SABAM) and director Adil El Arbi. They chose 3 finalists:

- Maxime Hervé (Canada)
    - Peer Kleinschmidt (Germany)
    - Roman Falkenstein (Latvia)
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    The candidates were instructed to compose music for a scene of ‘The Third Man’ (1949) by Carol Reed,

I should hope to see these entries in context some day.
    It would be really interesting seeing The Third Man without THAT theme to see how it works.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Bregt wrote
    The candidates were instructed to compose music for a scene of ‘The Third Man’ (1949) by Carol Reed,

I should hope to see these entries in context some day.
    It would be really interesting seeing The Third Man without THAT theme to see how it works.

Why don't you just head on over to one of these Ghent events, Martijn? Not that far for you, and it would be cool to see you.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Bregt wrote
    PUBLIC CHOICE AWARD
    At the 15th edition of the World Soundtrack Awards, the winner of the Public Choice Award for the Best Score will be announced. These are the 5 scores of the past year that were most voted for by the public.

- ‘A Little Chaos’ by Peter Gregson
    - ‘Ex Machina’ by Ben Salisbury & Geoff Barrow
    - ‘Far From Men’ by Warren Ellis & Nick Cave
    - ‘The Maze Runner’ by John Paesano
    - ‘Timbuktu’ by Amine Bouhafa

Once again, I have to wonder who the hell this "public" is. I doubt most film score fans know who Amine Bouhafa is (I certainly don't!), let alone the public. Very mysterious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Well, in Belgium there's a bit more advertisement for the WSA since it is part of a local film festival. So I think there are a larger percentage of Belgian votes... Timbutku had a very good reception by critics here, and was shown in one of Gent's cinema's so I guess it is a bit more in the picture.

But that it could explain why it is in the final top 5, I have no idea...
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    I will be there with StreamingSoundtracks.com. We are quite a group this time: 14 people. Love to see all of you again!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Caliburn wrote
    I will be there with StreamingSoundtracks.com. We are quite a group this time: 14 people.

I would never expect anything less from that crowd! wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    Why don't you just head on over to one of these Ghent events, Martijn? Not that far for you, and it would be cool to see you.

Well, the program never really appealed to me before, to be honest.
    Plus, Ghent has no tradition for fine chocolate, and what would be the point in visiting a Belgian city if it ain't got no chocolate? Now if they'd move the thing to Brugges...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    You come for the SOCIAL stuff, man! The other things are just icing on the cake (that being said, I would think the program THIS year should appeal to you?).
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote

Well, the program never really appealed to me before, to be honest.
    Plus, Ghent has no tradition for fine chocolate, and what would be the point in visiting a Belgian city if it ain't got no chocolate? Now if they'd move the thing to Brugges...

Now I know you're kidding Martijn, if there's one thing you can find all over belgium it's excellent Belgian chocolate, that besides the finest beers, the best french fries and etc etc tongue
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Gent also has a port. I know you like port.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2015
    Bregt wrote
    Gent also has a port. I know you like port.

applause
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Caliburn wrote
    I will be there with StreamingSoundtracks.com. We are quite a group this time: 14 people. Love to see all of you again!

Perhaps a big dinner before the concert would be good? Like 5 years ago.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorDennis
    I am happy with the event, no questions on that, but I already mentioned before Doyle as a weird choice for the Lifetime Award and now I am reading
    George Fenton will receive a Lifetime Achievement Award
    Is it a mistake or we will have 2 Lifetime Achievement Awards? Or maybe this one is a Lifetime Achievement Award in British Music? :p

Nearly every roaring name of British film music will pass the line-up, ranging from William Walton to John Barry, from George Fenton to Michael Nyman. Their celebrated music will be accompanied by film excerpts from among others: ‘Richard III’, ‘Shakespeare in Love’, ‘Far from the Madding Crowd’, ‘Murder on the Orient Express’, ‘Dangerous Liaisons’, ‘The Ipcress File’ and ‘The Knack... and how to get it’. George Fenton will receive a Lifetime Achievement Award and will be joined by composers Michael Nyman, Stephen Warbeck and Craig Armstrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, giving 'lifetime achievement awards' to people in their early 60s feels a bit weird, even if they have done many great things in their lifetime thus far. But so is giving awards to composers just because they're present in the audience/guests of the festival. It's part of the 'politics' of having festivals like these, I guess.

(it's not something I would adopt in my own festival, though, should it ever get off the ground).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2015 edited
    Bregt wrote
    Well, in Belgium there's a bit more advertisement for the WSA since it is part of a local film festival. So I think there are a larger percentage of Belgian votes... Timbutku had a very good reception by critics here, and was shown in one of Gent's cinema's so I guess it is a bit more in the picture.

But that it could explain why it is in the final top 5, I have no idea...

And perhaps the audience thought it worked and sounded beautifully. Everyone I talk with about this fiim mentions the music.