• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2015
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Funny thing is... I do. I've been suffering through it for a year and a half.

Apparently you didn't read the handbook for tinnitus sufferers where it outlines how you should regularly remind everyone you have tinnitus.

Sorry. I fixed that. It's in my signature now!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BACK TO THE FUTURE (Alan Silvestri/various)

The regular, old edition which is all I ever need. Great album too, seguing effortlessly from songs to score. Trying to gear up for the Silvestri event this weekend! I'll play as many albums as I can before departure.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    You're gearing up for a Silvestri event yet think that the old MCA album (11 minutes of score) is a good representation of Silvestri's score?

face-palm-mt
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. I must be caught in some kind of time loop.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2015 edited
    NP: THE ABYSS (Alan Silvestri)

One of the finest scores ever created, 'nuff said. Disappointed they're not going to play anything from it in Ghent.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Is there a setlist for Ghent published?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    LSH wrote

I thought I saw one somewhere, and THE ABYSS wasn't on it. But maybe I was dreaming.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2015
    Thor wrote
    LSH wrote

I thought I saw one somewhere, and THE ABYSS wasn't on it. But maybe I was dreaming.

Ah, now I know where I saw it. It's the festival CD that came out recently -- I assume the concert program will be similar to what's on there (some of the selections, anyway), and there was no ABYSS on it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BEOWULF (Alan Silvestri)

A bit too full-on in the morning, but the volume is low, so it's OK. It's a good score. But whazzap with the sudden, abrupt ending of the first track?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: A CHRISTMAS CAROL (Alan Silvestri)

'tis the season to be merry....
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote

A bit too full-on in the morning, but the volume is low, so it's OK. It's a good score. But whazzap with the sudden, abrupt ending of the first track?

I actually edited the first cue together with "What We Need is a Hero", since that plays basically as an extension of the main title and that way I get the fullest version of that badass theme, laser synths and all. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote

That was edited that way for "maximum listening pleasure" for people like you. What... you don't like?

-Erik-
  3. I guess I'm the only person in the world, but I didn't like Beowulf almost at all.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You walked right into that one, Thor! biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2015 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

That was edited that way for "maximum listening pleasure" for people like you. What... you don't like?

-Erik-

Not really. Could I have a faulty digital album? It just cuts short in the middle of everything, at about 30 seconds. If it's supposed to be that way, it's a really weird choice.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. It sounds like you do. Main title's supposed to be 56 seconds long.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Peter Pan (2003) - James Newton Howard

I hold film and score in high regard and I think that both are gradually underrated. With this score, Powell's PAN and Williams' HOOK we now have a real nice Pan related score trilogy.

Oh do listen to McNeely's Return To Never Land. Also try Benjamin Wallfisch's Peter Pan. There so much more great Pan related music out there.

-Erik-

Wallfisch has written music for Peter Pan? Where?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It sounds like you do. Main title's supposed to be 56 seconds long.

Damn!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Captain Future wrote

I hold film and score in high regard and I think that both are gradually underrated. With this score, Powell's PAN and Williams' HOOK we now have a real nice Pan related score trilogy.

Oh do listen to McNeely's Return To Never Land. Also try Benjamin Wallfisch's Peter Pan. There so much more great Pan related music out there.

-Erik-

http://www.amazon.com/J-M-Barries-Peter … B003PS9IWU

And it's fucking brilliant!

-Erik-
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Captain Future wrote

-Erik-

http://www.amazon.com/J-M-Barries-Peter … B003PS9IWU

And it's fucking brilliant!

-Erik-

cool thanks
    It's not a film then? Theatre? TV Film?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: BACK TO THE FUTURE - Alan Silvestri

Appropriately.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The second one even more so.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah
  7. I've not seen the films but, when they travel to this date are they inundated by social media comments about it being "Back to the Future Day" with them wondering what it's all about?

Now THAT would have been the filmmakers anticipating the future.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. I never really warmed to these films but I am aware that for many they have near-Star-Wars status. Lacking the emotional connection I was never that interested in the music either. I have ordered the re-issue single CD edition for the iconic status it has. (Same case as "Predator" that never did much for me.) I will revisit the Varese trilogy re-recording tonight. I know fans say the tempi are odd but that is unimportant for me.

NP: Return to Never Land (2002) - Joel McNeely

Got a second hand copy for a bargain. Beautiful! Thanks, Erik, for recommending this.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    I never really warmed to these films but I am aware that for many they have near-Star-Wars status. Lacking the emotional connection I was never that interested in the music either. I have ordered the re-issue single CD edition for the iconic status it has. (Same case as "Predator" that never did much for me.)

Same here.
    I never really found any of the three films all that special (well, at least no more or less than other teen comedies back in the day), so I never really "got" the cult status. I do have a yen for Mary Steenburgen (she's NOT 62, she's NOT! cry ) so I did enjoy the third one.

I got my hands on the bootleg score for the first film, which really is quite good, very well edited and perfect in length at 42 minutes), but that's about it.

Predator I still think is an EXCELLENT film, and pretty unique in the action or sci-fi genre, and I love Silvestri's eerie jungle drums. But sitting through the whole score is a chore for me.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm pretty much with Martijn here as regards the scores, except for a few great stand-outs ( the train music in BTTF III comes first to mind ) I don't have interest in playing these scores away from the films.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. Predator: Indeed the film is excellent! Also I see the quality of the score. It just isn't my cup of tea.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Back To The Future trilogy (and I regard it as one long film in three parts) is to me as Raiders is to Erik. They're very special to me, and no film or set of films -not even Star Wars- comes close to the pure escapist nirvana these films elicit. I'm almost a little annoyed they've become so popular as the years have gone by (or simply given more exposure through social media) because I rather enjoyed the fact that they were the hipster's alternative to Star Wars.