• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Harry Gregson-Williams - The Martian

This along Bridge of Spies became my most-listened to score of 2015.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2015
    Spectre

The truly wonderful thing about this is how annoyed Thor will be at how often it is mentioned.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2015 edited
    Steven wrote
    Jurassic Park: The Lost World, aka The Lost World: Jurassic Park John Williams

My favourite Jurassic Park score. Long overdue an expansion.

My favourite ( by far ) too. The only JP score I wouldn't hesitate to buy an expansion of.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Spectre

The truly wonderful thing about this is how annoyed Thor will be at how often it is mentioned.

Does it sound like Bill Conti?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. NP: The Final Conflict - Jerry Goldsmith

There's not much that's better than this in my book. Some of the best set-piece tracks ever written, IMO.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Spectre

Yes. Almost all of it sounds like the theme from Dynasty.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Spectre

Yes. Almost all of it sounds like the theme from Dynasty.

Good! Sounds like a winner to me.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Final Conflict - Jerry Goldsmith

There's not much that's better than this in my book. Some of the best set-piece tracks ever written, IMO.

FACT! is seriously overused here at times ( Moi too ) but here I use it in its truest trueism ....FACT!!!!

Giving a bit of context, there's been a lot of very good scores this year but all of them are gentle English hills compared to this Himalayan score.
  3. NP: Alien Resurrection - John Frizzell

Playing the album version rather than the full score - more because I want to get to bed before 2am than because of a dislike of the entire score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    The Secret of NIMH - Jerry Goldsmith

This is about as Ravelian as Goldsmith ever got. It's completely captivating.
  4. Marking the 1000th entry in my collection:

NP: James Bond: Spectre (2015) - Thomas Newman & Sam Smith

I must say that my second impression of the song isn't nearly as disastrous as was my first one. I still don't think much of it but it doesn't hurt the combined album IMO.

The score so far: even better than Skyfall. I like this a lot!

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    For some reason I need to work out I have no audio since updating to Windows 10 so haven't been able to listen to Spectre yet.
  5. Check your Devices settings, I had the same problem with my graphics card, I just checked what's going on and suddenly it decided to update the drivers.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. I had to update my sound card manually. Which I found a bit annoying since I use regular hardware. I don't use Groove so far and stayed with Media Player. Works fine.
  7. Captain Future wrote
    Marking the 1000th entry in my collection:

NP: James Bond: Spectre (2015) - Thomas Newman & Sam Smith

I must say that my second impression of the song isn't nearly as disastrous as was my first one. I still don't think much of it but it doesn't hurt the combined album IMO.

The score so far: even better than Skyfall. I like this a lot!

smile Volker

What's the score sound like? More action-y?

By the way, I just heard the song for the first time. Yikes.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thanks Pawel and Volker. I'm not techie at all ( though getting better ), I'll see how it goes.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    By the way, I just heard the song for the first time. Yikes.

The song has grown on me, a bit. It's the first Bond song to hit # 1 in the UK, I guess that's down to Sam Smith's fan base.

It's way better than Alicia Keys/Jack White or Madonna's dreadful effort but that's not saying much. It won't go down in the canon of Bond classics.
  8. I concur with Timmer: The song has grown on me somewhat. I think it would be a decent song, had someone else sung it.

On second thought I think I prefer Skyfall over Spectre but that may change from day to day. I would have to make a direct comparison but I think there is more straight action music in Skyfall than Spectre which is predominately an ambient score. What I much like about Spectre is, that the incorporation of the original Norman/Barry theme is done better this time IMO. It's an integral, organic aspect of the music. The choir cues are gorgeous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I've only heard it once (the song), on the radio. I thought it was fine, if bland. Much better than some of the post-Barry Bond songs (but nowhere near as good as Skyfall).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - B Tyler

An absolute blast, just so enjoyable.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Skyfall was an excellent Bond song.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - B Tyler

An absolute blast, just so enjoyable.

My favourite Tyler score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote

It was good. It was missing something though. A little more pizazz... and little more "wow" in the chorus. It almost got there but fell rather flat.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  9. NP: The Car - Leonard Rosenman

One of my favourite releases of the year.
  10. NP: Jeepers Creepers - Bennett Salvay

Superior horror scoring. Unsettling quieter moments pepper the bold, brassy action scoring and there's a surprisingly tender theme in the mix too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2015
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

It was good. It was missing something though. A little more pizazz... and little more "wow" in the chorus. It almost got there but fell rather flat.

-Erik-

As much as I like it you're right there. It just doesn't quite get there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    SPECTRE Thomas Newman

Bring back David Arnold.
  11. Nope. Not Arnold. If there is to be a new composer for Bond bring in John Powell.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I would agree, if not for the fact that Arnold's been pissing about with other projects for years now and doesn't seem to want to write many film scores. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    For Bond...Arnold > Powell

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!