• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2016 edited
    Cherry 2000 - Basil Poledouris

Great score overall, even the electronic parts. But it's the sensational 'western' theme of course that's the most memorable bit of all. Damn, it just soars and sends a bit of a chill down your spine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2016
    NP: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag- Brian Tyler

A serious omission in yesterday's concert! It's a good thing I brought my iPod to alleviate the melancholy monotony of the departure lounge of an airport with some robust nautical thunder!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Funny, I don't actually hear much "robust nautical thunder" in that score. It's very much more of the fiddly-aye pirate variety, not the blood-and-guts bombast sort (or the awesomely, brutally raw McCreary take, for that matter), which I found significantly disappointing. Then again, I haven't listened to it since it first came out, so perhaps I ought to give it another shake?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    NP: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag- Brian Tyler

A serious omission in yesterday's concert! It's a good thing I brought my iPod to alleviate the melancholy monotony of the departure lounge of an airport with some robust nautical thunder!

My only real disappointment with the concert was that he didn't do the theme from this (which is actually a bit different from the bulk of the pieces he did play, so would have been a nice change - but I'm not complaining about any of the things he did do).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Now You See Me - Brian Tyler

Had to be a Tyler score and it's been a while since I listened to this one, which is excellent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    but I'm not complaining about any of the things he did do).

Well, I'm complaining a BIT about Constantine.
    But the Omen 3 crowd seemed to like it, so never mind. wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    Now You See Me - Brian Tyler

Had to be a Tyler score and it's been a while since I listened to this one, which is excellent.

I *really* like the theme's arrangement yesterday! It sounded excellent!
    (Love the score as a whole too)
  2. POWDER - Goldsmith

I'm listening to the expanded and this seems to not be the type of score that needed one. Of course it's written like that for the film and Jerry wrote many fine moments but all of them seem to be represented on the earlier album. It's good music overall, but I'll hold on to the short release, which has just the right dose of whimsical magic and emotion flowing throughout.

Oh and for the people raising the question: Powder's theme and the 'Everywhere' (I prefer this over the more mundane 'Going Away') cue are only two examples of Goldsmith's genius. That's an indisputable fact.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2016
    VANGELIS - Alexander

Lyrical, grand, love it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    VANGELIS - Alexander

Lyrical, grand, love it.

Yes, it's one of Alexander's best scores. wink
    I am extremely serious.
  3. DreamTheater wrote
    POWDER - Goldsmith

I'm listening to the expanded and this seems to not be the type of score that needed one. Of course it's written like that for the film and Jerry wrote many fine moments but all of them seem to be represented on the earlier album. It's good music overall, but I'll hold on to the short release, which has just the right dose of whimsical magic and emotion flowing throughout.

Oh and for the people raising the question: Powder's theme and the 'Everywhere' (I prefer this over the more mundane 'Going Away') cue are only two examples of Goldsmith's genius. That's an indisputable fact.

Honestly, even with the earlier album I always felt like the opening and closing tracks were all you really need from that score (and even they are based on the same theme). Nice as it is to have one available, I really can't see an expansion adding too much in this case.

It's a mediocre score elevated by a wonderful theme.
  4. Don't agree with those 2 cues being enough. There's a bit more going on in others as well, even the slow and soft 'Steven and the Snow' is worth all 8 minutes of my time. In terms of emotional beauty Powder sits right up there with the best of them.

So in that regard: It's a great score IMO, but as I'm definitely not a Goldsmith completist, I'll skip the new one. On the other hand, there have been some nice expansions lately which really added to the 30-40 minutes we initially had (Executive Decision and Chain Reaction, and certainly Gremlins 2)
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote
    VANGELIS - Alexander

Lyrical, grand, love it.

Yes, it's one of Alexander's best scores. wink

Yeah, he is one of the three lords of synth. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Others being J M J? and another?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Brian Eno, Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk......
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. DreamTheater wrote
    Don't agree with those 2 cues being enough. There's a bit more going on in others as well, even the slow and soft 'Steven and the Snow' is worth all 8 minutes of my time. In terms of emotional beauty Powder sits right up there with the best of them.

So in that regard: It's a great score IMO, but as I'm definitely not a Goldsmith completist, I'll skip the new one. On the other hand, there have been some nice expansions lately which really added to the 30-40 minutes we initially had (Executive Decision and Chain Reaction, and certainly Gremlins 2)

True, "Steven and the Snow" is a nice cue, although not at the same level as the bookends. But I'd agree in saying Executive Decision and Chain Reaction profited more from their expansions than Powder does (or would - I haven't actually heard it yet).
  7. Timmer wrote
    Brian Eno, Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk......

The recently demised Tomita, Klaus Schulze, Kitaro, Wendy Carlos ... I would also name certain acts of 80s New Wave, such like Depeche Mode; OMD; Alan Parsons, New Order ...
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  8. Well I couldn't resist, I was in a good mood and I decided to give THE FORCE AWAKENS another spin. I still don't love it, it's mostly serviceable and occasionally good, the best bit of the entire score remains the main title (yes I'm not kidding). However I managed to make a nice 47 minute playlist out of it, so there's improvement.

1. Main Title and The Attack on the Jakku Village
    2. The Scavenger
    3. I Can Fly Anything
    6. Rey's Theme
    7. The Falcon
    9. The Rathtars!
    13. Kylo Ren Arrives at the Battle
    14. The Abduction
    16. March of the Resistance
    21. Scherzo for X-Wings
    22. Farewell and The Trip
    23. The Jedi Steps and Finale
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: ASSASSIN'S CREED IV: BLACK FLAG - Brian Tyler

Wow. I actually like this. A lot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2016
    DreamTheater wrote
    I decided to give THE FORCE AWAKENS another spin... I managed to make a nice 47 minute playlist out of it, so there's improvement.

It's only an improvement if your attention span lasts 50 minutes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2016 edited
    Well I could add Snoke to my playlist, but I decided against it, because it's too awesome a track. That one alone could very well put my entire listening experience out of balance... Serious overkill. tongue
  9. I think the Force Awakens main title sucks! One of the weakest parts of the score.
  10. dizzy shocked rolleyes slant sad crazy vomit

In that order.
  11. It's one of the wimpiest performances of the Star Wars titles I've ever heard!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    It's one of the wimpiest performances of the Star Wars titles I've ever heard!

The opening splash is indeed the weakest! But the rest of the performance is just fine. I'm not sure what exactly what went wrong with the opening. Whether the orchestration changed or Shaun Murphy just blew the recording but it's sounds almost synthesized. There's something not right with the trumpets, you can barely hear the trombones and the cymbal hit is REALLY tiny. There's no power when that Star Wars logo pops up on screen.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  12. Yeah, and you can barely hear the timpani roll either.

I had been looking forward so much to that moment of hearing that brilliant blast in the movies for the first time ever (!), and it kind of took the wind out of my sails for a few seconds to hear it sound so underpowered. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Should have been born earlier!
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2016 edited
    Martijn wrote

Yeah, what were you thinking, Edmund? That was a major oversight on your part.

NP - BELLE ET SEBASTIEN: L'AVENTURE CONTINUE - Armand Amar

This is a nice score from last year. I like Amar. I feel like he doesn't get too much attention around here.
  13. Martijn wrote

I think the really odd thing is that I never actually saw any of the prequels in theaters. As I think I've mentioned before, I only really became interested in Star Wars when I started being interested in film music towards the end of my adolescence. As a kid, Star Wars was never really my "thing", and I would have been 7, 10 and 13 respectively when the greenscreen trilogy came out. Alas, I never had any opportunity to attend a screening of the old ones (and had absolutely zero desire to see The Phantom Menace in 3D, blegh), so The Force Awakens really was the first time I had ever seen a Star Wars flick on the big screen! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ The sound mix of The Force Awakens film wasn't great, IMO.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!