• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2016
    Newman's religious approach isn't really my preferred religious sound (which is more English and pastoral, if you will), but it's damn beautiful nonetheless. It's channeled through a typical Golden Age prism with lots of shimmering legato that you rarely see anymore.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Due to today's Google doodle:

Die unendliche Geschichte / The Never Ending Story (1984) - Klaus Doldinger

One of those scores that inspired my interest in film music. Still a favourite of mine.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Martijn wrote
    Absolutely.
    I always greatly enjoy juxtaposing Newman's psychological, nigh-introverted "religious approach" to Rozsa's overwhelming and deeply impressive Sturm und Drang.

While we're at it...

Miklós Rózsa - Ben Hur

You can't have a Golden Age run without listening to this one. It just doesn't compute.

And of course, Rózsa must be taken in complete form, though his shortened albums aren't as bad as what they originally did to Tiomkin's Alamo (I haven't seen that film, but if I had to judge the score based on the soundtrack album alone, I'd say it's a musical... starring John Wayne, yep, seems legit), so in that case Prague it must be.

I didn't get the 5 CD FSM juggernaut. I am very happy with the re-release of the 2 CD album by Sony done recently. It's still great. Though maybe the repetition of the fanfares during the chariot race is a bit too much, but yeah.

As perfect a score as it gets.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. The Final Conflict - Jerry Goldsmith

No offense, King of Kings.
  4. King of Kings, The Greatest Story Ever Told. The filmmakers back then were humble, I have to say.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    J. Flaherty wrote
    The Final Conflict - Jerry Goldsmith

You're a Satanist too?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Godzilla - Desplat

Monstrously good.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2016
    J. Flaherty wrote

Not quite sure what you mean but yeah, one of the greatest film scores ever IMO. A film that is mediochre but well filmed, watchable due to Sam Neill's charismatic performance and Jerry's sublime score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Timmer wrote
    J. Flaherty wrote

Not quite sure what you mean but yeah, one of the greatest film scores ever IMO. A film that is mediochre but well filmed, watchable due to Sam Neill's charismatic performance and Jerry's sublime score.

Agreed! I always think that there's a few great set-pieces in The Final Conflict. The Ambassador's demise, the hunt and the scene with the viaduct and the dogs. And Goldsmith's music is just sublime in all of them.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. NP: Summer and Smoke - Elmer Bernstein

There's a tautness threading through the entire score. It's a very tense affair that's very well constructed by Bernstein, IMO.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. And things don't seem to be getting any lighter...

NP: Zodiac - David Shire
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2016 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    J. Flaherty wrote

Agreed! I always think that there's a few great set-pieces in The Final Conflict. The Ambassador's demise, the hunt and the scene with the viaduct and the dogs. And Goldsmith's music is just sublime in all of them.

Absolutely! In the novel there was no glowing church Jesus at the end, the Nazarene was born ( as a baby ) to Gypsies so escaped the biblical cull. I'm glad they went with the corny ending purely for Goldsmith's magnificent finale.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Moon 44 - Joel Goldsmith

Can detect the obvious influence of his dad but a superb and thrilling score in its own right.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Taras Bulba - Franz Waxman

Can't help falling in love with this score every time I return to it - from the madcap 'Overture' and the gorgeous 'Birth of Andrei' theme to the stunning 'Black Plague' and the epic 'Battle of Dubno & Finale'.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Torrente 4 - Roque Banos

I remember seeing the first couple of highly entertaining films in this series about the grotesque, corrupt Torrente quite a years ago now. Haven't seen this one but the Banos score is great with a killer main theme and some great action cues. There's even a couple of moments of pastiche in which Bernstein and Herrmann are quoted.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJ. Flaherty
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2016 edited
    The Twilight Zone: 40th Anniversary Collection

I love Bernard Herrmann's music for "The Lonely." Just wonderful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Swallows and Amazons Ilan Eshkeri

Perfectly pleasant but ultra repetitive. If I never hear that main theme again in my life then I'll still have heard it more often than I've heard most themes from scores I've listened to dozens of times.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I feel like you should have begun with "My dear Bagginses and Boffins, Tooks and Brandybucks, Grubbs, Chubbs, Hornblowers, Bolgers, Bracegirdles and Proudfoots."

Twilight Zone: The Movie Jerry Goldsmith

Not only is this a great score, it's a great symphony. Its symphonic feel is no doubt due to the four separate stories of the film, and Jerry responded to each one like a genius. A unique score not only for that reason, but for the music he ended up writing. A tantalising glimpse of what a Spielberg/Goldsmith collaboration would have sounded like (similar to Poltergeist).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2016
    J. Flaherty wrote
    The Twilight Zone: 40th Anniversary Collection

I love Bernard Herrmann's music for "The Lonely." Just wonderful.

A lot of great scoring in that series. My fave being Jerry Goldsmith's BACK THERE, I'm a sucker for harpsichord.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

Not only is this a great score, it's a great symphony. Its symphonic feel is no doubt due to the four separate stories of the film

It is brilliant. Which version did you listen to? I agree with your comment on a "symphonic feel" if you're talking about the original album arrangement ( minus the rock song ), I love the FSM complete score but am disappointed the original album arrangement wasn't included.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Swallows and Amazons Ilan Eshkeri

Perfectly pleasant but ultra repetitive. If I never hear that main theme again in my life then I'll still have heard it more often than I've heard most themes from scores I've listened to dozens of times.

I've just finished listening to this, there's an "old fashioned" quality to it that is admirable in this age of samey-soundy scores, I really wanted to like it but I just found it too twee for my taste.
  8. NP: The Force Awakens (2015) - bow John Williams

I am listening to the score after quite a while. Such a delight all around!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2016 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Not only is this a great score, it's a great symphony. Its symphonic feel is no doubt due to the four separate stories of the film

It is brilliant. Which version did you listen to? I agree with your comment on a "symphonic feel" if you're talking about the original album arrangement ( minus the rock song ), I love the FSM complete score but am disappointed the original album arrangement wasn't included.

I tend to go for the FSM version as any extra music from this score is a blessing. I don't think the symphonic feel is lost (I think it's more a psychological thing to see it split into seperate cues). But it's not something I'd urge anyone to get to replace the original album as that represents the score quite well.
  9. NP: Doctor Zhivago (1965) - Maurice Jarre

It seems this score is not much talked about on film music boards. Perhaps because it's love theme was over-adapted and over-played. Still I regard this as one of Jarre's greatest works.
    I am listening to the album presentation which I prefer to the extended program.
    Like "Gone With the Wind", "Doctor Zhivago" is best watched on a rainy afternoon during the cold season.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Doctor Zhivago (1965) - Maurice Jarre

It seems this score is not much talked about on film music boards. Perhaps because it's love theme was over-adapted and over-played. Still I regard this as one of Jarre's greatest works.
    I am listening to the album presentation which I prefer to the extended program.
    Like "Gone With the Wind", "Doctor Zhivago" is best watched on a rainy afternoon during the cold season.

Volker

It's a gorgeous score. So much more to it than the famous theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SOLARIS/STALKER/THE MIRROR (Eduard Artemiev)

Artemiev did some spellbinding stuff for these Tarkovsky films.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Thor wrote
    NP: SOLARIS/STALKER/THE MIRROR (Eduard Artemiev)

Artemiev did some spellbinding stuff for these Tarkovsky films.

Bach always steals the show in Tarkovsky, but I do love Artemiev's music in Stalker -- my favorite film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Pan John Powell

My second favourite Powell score after How To Train Your Dragon 2 and Chicken Run in joint first. Almost every cue is a highlight (58 minutes of them when made into a playlist).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2016
    NP: BJØRNØYA (Erlend Elvesveen)

Great score for this Norwegian docu about Svalbard and surfing. A little bit of Yann Tiersen, a little bit of Nils Petter Molvær and a little bit of something else.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Alfred Newman - The Greatest Story Ever Told

I thought I'd go with the original album only, but the triumphant Haendel piece made me go "well, no" and I'm on CD 2 now.

That's my religious sound.