• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. beer

NP: The Avengers - Laurie Johnson

1980 compilation, a London studio ensemble conducted by the composer.
    The Avengers / The New Avengers / Dr Stragelove / First Man in the Moon / Hedda / Captain Cronos

Nice album.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2016
    Love the First Man in the Moon suite!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Soul of the Ultimate Nation - Howard S.

I rarely listen to this, enjoy it when I do, forget about it when I don't. It's the vaguely aimless, unemployed little brother to Shore's Middle-Earth music, in my opinion. But it does boast some terrific cues, especially "The Triumph."
  3. Cutthroat Island - John Debney

100 percent fucking terrific.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2016 edited
    NP: THE HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGER (Cyril Morin)

This went under the radar for most people a few years ago, but it's a great mix of soulful melodies and Balkan/Eastern-European instrumentation.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2016
    Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Steven wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    J. Flaherty wrote
    Howard Shore (almost wrote Shire)

Beg you pardon?

confused Volker

Howard Shore wrote the score for the popular movie adaptations of Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings trilogy. The story featured a place called the Shire. Thor made a humorous remark via a play on Howard Shore's name being similar to this fictional place.

There you go.

Oh shit! Didn't get that at all. I thought he almost wrote the music for the Shire, which he actually did. Must be the beer. smile

I don't know anyone here who at one time or another has had something go straight over their head.....except me. wink

Can confirm (the first part at least).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2016 edited
    biggrin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svtLfoGH19c
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2016
    Captain Future wrote
    beer

NP: The Avengers - Laurie Johnson

1980 compilation, a London studio ensemble conducted by the composer.
    The Avengers / The New Avengers / Dr Stragelove / First Man in the Moon / Hedda / Captain Cronos

Nice album.

Great album. The Herrmannesque First Men In The Moon, The brilliant version of When Johnny Comes Marching Home, the seriously underrated gorgeous score for Hedda and the catchiest vampire film theme ever with Captain Kronos, what a shame Hammer sank and it wasn't developed into the time travelling vampire hunter idea it was meant to become.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Steven wrote
    She didn't have to learn anything, she was already capable of everything the story needed her to do. She won a lightsaber battle with an experienced Sith Lord. She knew more about the Millenium Falcon than Han. She could already use the force to control Stormtroopers.

This happens in so many Hollywood movies. Heroes are usually already capable of succeeding in about everything, except for a couple of things that then get addressed during the movies.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Steven wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Steven wrote
    Anything other than BB8 is an insane choice.

So tell me more about his character arc, his flaws, his strengths,

A valiant effort at logic, except that's he's a cute comic side kick robot who doesn't need any of those things. In fact, my second favourite thing is the Millenium Falcon...which is not even a character.

Well, I really thought BB-8 would be stealing the whole movie when I saw him roll on stage at that year's SW Celebrations, which left everyone speechless (and all those "darn CGI robots!" sceptics blushing) for a second, until the cheers rose up. I was very happy when I found out in theatres that the movie had actually likable human characters. So I give you that.

And, of course, the Falcon will always have a special place in everyone's heart. Which is why they are doing this. Bastards.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregt wrote
    Steven wrote
    She didn't have to learn anything, she was already capable of everything the story needed her to do. She won a lightsaber battle with an experienced Sith Lord. She knew more about the Millenium Falcon than Han. She could already use the force to control Stormtroopers.

This happens in so many Hollywood movies. Heroes are usually already capable of succeeding in about everything, except for a couple of things that then get addressed during the movies.

Maybe. I guess her character stood out as a Mary Sue when compared to the others. Still, she's nothing compared to Black Widow from the Marvel films. She's awful. Actress and character. Also, I like Daisy Ridley's performance, I just wished her character wasn't so perfect right off the bat.
  4. Yes, Rey is so pure at heart, she'll eventually join Starfleet.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Not if the Cybermen get her first!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    All this has happened before, and all of it will happen again.
  5. Steven wrote
    All this has happened before, and all of it will happen again.

This could have been the tag line for The Force Awakens. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    How true that is. Could they have not at least kept the Starkiller!? That final battle had more of a screenwriter's checklist feel about it rather than a satisfying pay-off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: PAUL (David Arnold)

It's already been 5 years since this came out, Arnold's last feature film score! What the hell is up with that?!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: PAUL (David Arnold)

It's already been 5 years since this came out, Arnold's last feature film score! What the hell is up with that?!

Oh dear, seems like he's completely the heir to John Barry now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    It really is a shame. I don't tend to anticipate score releases anywhere near as strongly as I used to but I would make an exception if Arnold was still banging them out.
  6. NP: Conan the Barbarian (1982/2010) - Basil Poledouris

This is a celebration of everything that makes film music great.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Even jazz?
  7. In some bizarrely complicated metaphorical way: yes. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MAD MEN - ON THE ROCKS (David Carbonara)

Never seen a single episode of the show -- I don't think it's my cup of tea -- but I like this soundtrack, both the smooth jazz stuff and the more orchestral material (which has a BASIC INSTINCT-ian sex thriller sound).
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Alfred Newman - The Song of Bernadette

I have been actually in a Golden Age mode recently, for last two weeks or so. We had a review action on the site regarding specifically the era and having participated with 4 reviews myself (North by Northwest, Citizen Kane, Sunset Boulevard and The Best Years of Our Lives) I started to just listen to more scores myself and decided to expand on my knowledge, because there were composers which I actually didn't know at all before, namely Tiomkin and Steiner. Vastly improved is my knowledge of Franz Waxman, as well.

But one of the greatest finds is this one. I love the religious Alfred Newman scores (one of my earliest introductions to Golden Age music was his Greatest Story Ever Told, I think it was that, Ben Hur and Psycho, actually). I love how he creates the atmosphere of religious awe while also retaining a certain distance before the miracles happen (though I haven't seen the music, that's how I perceive the events though). That's because (not unlike Williams in Close Encounters or ET, but not on a full-structure basis, but rather developing a single cue that way) it goes from fear to complete religious awe. This sense of uncertainty is something that touches me the most. The romantic theme is pure Alfred Newman, but the religious bliss, sometimes developed from something that wouldn't be unheard of in a horror film... that's exactly why, for me, it works so well.

A beautiful masterpiece which joins the ranks of my favourite scores of all time.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2016
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Me too!
  9. I am only familiar with re-recorded suites. Those are gorgeous.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2016 edited
    Count me in among the fans of that score, although the Varese 2CD set (which is what I have) is a bit on the long side. But with GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD, that's a great 'combo deal' of Newman's religious sound. Both get frequent plays over here. THE ROBE ain't too shabby either.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. I think you just named my Alfred Newman top 3. The religious sound of Newman is very reverent and yet very modern, isn't it?

Song of Bernadette has the quasi-horror material going for it. It separates it from Greatest Story and from The Robe in the way that the unease before something beautiful happens is quite tangible. Psychological scoring at its best.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Absolutely.
    I always greatly enjoy juxtaposing Newman's psychological, nigh-introverted "religious approach" to Rozsa's overwhelming and deeply impressive Sturm und Drang.