• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2016
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Häxan - Barði Jóhannsson

As a standalone listen, this 2006 score for the 1922 Swedish-Danish silent film is an excellent listen. Fully orchestral and very dramatic, I am not sure how it would fit in the film though. Although several scores have been composed for this film, and DVD releases of the movie feature several of the composed scores as extra features, I don't think Jóhannsson's score has received the same treatment. Possibly because this piece is more a symphony based on the film.

His whole body of work, Barði Jóhannsson, is quite dark, hauntingly melancholic. Needs lots of investing in time to get to love his work but in the end it's truly worth it, imo.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Kubo and the Two Strings - Dario Marianelli

This is rather good!

How does it compare to other specific Marianelli scores? any similarities ?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Check out the Marianelli thread D, James has reviewed it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    J. Flaherty wrote
    Thor wrote
    J. Flaherty wrote
    Thor wrote
    One of -- if not THE -- best film of the 2000s.

shocked

Yeah, I've been having this long debate with someone over at FSM about whether or not it's possible to say that a film or score (or any piece of art, really) can be 'misunderstood' when you defend it. I think it certainly can, while my opponent thinks it can't (because -- in his view -- it implies the critical voice is "wrong"). In any case, A.I. is certainly such a film -- heavily misunderstood, but only now getting the credit it deserves. Fortunately.

Well certainly, films and scores can be misunderstood but emerge from under that initial misunderstanding years later, unblemished. Views can be revised. I agree with that.

I think A.I. is a fascinating failure of a film.
    The storyline, taken apart from the production, is beautiful. A robot survives humanity's extinction, preserves the best of human love, and in the end chooses not life but an ephemeral, artificial dream world -- a death for David, and the only place his love can be fulfilled. A brilliant story!

But there are just so many missteps. Jude Law needed to be reined in. Brendan Gleeson is completely miscast. The film's second half -- say what you want about its tonal departures from the first -- the second half does not hold together. Motivation, setting, cause and effect -- it's all jumbled, and not in a way that's convincing or purposeful. Poor Haley Joel Osment does a valiant job veering from innocent to murderous to suicidal to innocent again, but the character by then feels patched together and forced.

I revisited the film earlier this year, so I've given this some thought lately.
    Many, many superior films came out in the 2000s.

Well as much as i like the film, it's logical. Half-chewed Kubrick food finished in Spielberg's mouth wink The score is fantastic though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    My favourite JW score this century.

It's not an easy choice given the options, but I might have to agree. It's a very personal score, much like ET (I believe we had a score vs score many moons ago on this point partly for their two-letter abbreviations).

Yes, fantastic, beautiful gem of a score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    christopher wrote
    Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Alice Through The Looking Glass - Danny Elfman

The original theme for Alice is by far the most memorable part of this second Alice score. I find my attention wavers away from this until I hear some snippet of the main theme, then my attention is fixed again on the music to hear what sort of variations Elfman makes to the theme.

I've willfully steered away from sampling this, as I want to buy the physical disc first. But I thought the first score was spectacular, and most of the comments I've read seem to suggest this is even superior?

I've only given it one listen so far, but I agree with Alan. Outside that brilliant theme there was nothing that stood out to me.

Liked it at first yes but indeed, when the initial wow-factor of the gorgeous' theme's new rendition fades away, the rest that remains is plain 'send me my check' filler.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Check out the Marianelli thread D, James has reviewed it.

Will do so, thanks! smile goes to show how long i was away wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Demetris wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Häxan - Barði Jóhannsson

His whole body of work, Barði Jóhannsson, is quite dark, hauntingly melancholic. Needs lots of investing in time to get to love his work but in the end it's truly worth it, imo.

Do you mean Johann Johannson, or really Bardi? Or is it the same person? confused
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2016 edited
    No, Barði is another person:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar%C3%B0 … B3hannsson

But I think maybe Demetris is thinking of Jóhann.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, i mean Barði ... i find their overall mood quite similar (not the style or kind of music per se), no?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, it's the "Icelandic sound"; it's the same basic approach, although there are variations and differences between them within that approach.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yes, indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: FILMMUSIK (Björn Isfält)

What a Scandinavian treasure Isfält was; a shame he was never properly discovered outside our borders -- I'm positive he would be a hit among film score fans.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Ben-Hur - MarcoB

Not awful, I guess.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Ben-Hur - Dr Rozsa

I know, I know, I got the memo - we're not allowed to compare them. But bloody hell, this is good.
  1. Screw the memo. It's just a cousing to a TPS report anyway.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. NP: Lover's Prayer - Joel McNeely

What a beautiful score this is.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. NP: Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased): Who Killed Cock Robin? - Edwin Astley

Excellent theme. The 3-CD set showcases Astley's music for this 60s/70s series. The variations of the main theme are great and so is the whole feel of melancholy that plays through the scores. But, the numerous sub-30 second tracks make for a fragmented listen.

Definitely a nostaglia trip.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2016
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Lover's Prayer - Joel McNeely

Superb score, one of my McNeely favourites -- but alas, largely overlooked.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2016 edited
    NP: THE FIFTH ESTATE (Carter Burwell)

Burwell is very hit and miss for me, and I had NOT expected to like this when I got a promo. But I did. Some cool electronic modulations like nothing I've ever heard from the composer before.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: A BEAUTIFUL MIND - James Horner

Horner absolutely nailed this one. He's always been good at musically supporting the idea of 'genious' but it never sounded better than this. Superb stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MR. HOLMES (Carter Burwell)

A rather somber affair, but I like it.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. NP: Searching For Bobby Fischer - James Horner

This one does nothing for me at all. Uninteresting - save for the Horner-isms - and some of the synths sound quite cheap and distracting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2016
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Lover's Prayer - Joel McNeely

His best and one of THE great scores of the last 16 years!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Searching For Bobby Fischer - James Horner

This one does nothing for me at all. Uninteresting - save for the Horner-isms - and some of the synths sound quite cheap and distracting.

The fuck?!

It's arguably his most emotive score... a score I would easily put in his top 10 of all time. I mean, you get no feels during "Josh Vs. Dad" or "Early Victories?" Nothing?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Couldn't agree more with Erik about Searching for Bobby Fischer. My god, the piano runs! And that gorgeous main theme is one of Horner's absolute finest ever. Great score.

Just finished (for the first and last time) a score that is decidedly not great:
    James Newton Howard's Concussion.

The opening cue and possibly the final three are decent but everything in between is generic filler of the most despairing kind. It goes nowhere and does absolutely nothing. A painfully bland score. Easily one of the weakest of Howard's career. Maybe only The Green whatever-it-was ranks alongside it for sheer awfulness.
  5. Sorry, it did nothing for me at all. I just found it boring. Some of the piano work was nice, more to do with the fact that it was interesting compared with the rest. I couldn't make it to the end.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2016 edited
    NP: THE MONKEY KING (Christopher Young)

I know that everybody and their grandmother drools over this, but I don't. I think my brain has simply stopped tolerating these kinds of scores; it's almost a biological aversion. That, and the fact that bombastic-orchestral adventure scores of contemporary times are not the same as those of the 90s and before.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. At least you have acknowledged that you are the problem, not the score. Progress.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2016 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    At least you have acknowledged that you are the problem, not the score. Progress.

Not quite. I said it's part personal evolution, part a definite change in sound and aesthetic.
    I am extremely serious.