• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Thor wrote
    NP: WILD ARABIA (Chief Inspector Barnaby)

Dig this. Free of action (mostly) and just moving around with soft textures, melodies and ethnicity.

Who scored this?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2016 edited
    Barnaby Taylor. I just think of Chief Inspector Barnaby every time I see his name.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2016
    Captain Future wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: WILD ARABIA (Chief Inspector Barnaby)

Dig this. Free of action (mostly) and just moving around with soft textures, melodies and ethnicity.

Who scored this?

It's very good, I also recommend his score to Wild China.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    'The Mine Car Chase' Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom John Williams

My favourite action cue from all the Indy scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote

In Williams terms, only superseded by the wild music for the speed racer sequence in RETURN OF THE JEDI.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: AMERIKA (Basil Poledouris)

Too much music, and too depressing (sounds like Holocaust music on weed), but by all means -- some great material here that would have shone in a more succinct presentation.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

In Williams terms, only superseded by the wild music for the speed racer sequence in RETURN OF THE JEDI.

love

Thank the heavens for John Williams.
  2. Steven wrote

It's "The Desert Chase" from Raiders for me.
  3. Steven wrote
    Thank the heavens for John Williams.

^ Yes.

NP: Hollywood Klassiker

As the spelling suggests, this sampler has been a German release. It mostly features Czech and British recordings. Among those suites from "East of Eden" and "Rebel Without a Cause" by Rosenman that are not otherwise in my collection.

On an unrelated note:
    When musical sports like Synchronized Swimming, Rhythmic Gymnastics or Figure Skating was covered on TV in past years (in Germany) they used to announce the music that the athletes performed to. I regret they don't do that any more.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Kubo and the Two Strings - Dario Marianelli

This is rather good!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    J. Flaherty wrote
    Steven wrote

Me too!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

biggrin
    I see what you did there.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    J. Flaherty wrote
    Steven wrote

Me too!

Ben's Death And TIE-Fighter Attack for me!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    J. Flaherty wrote
    Steven wrote

Me too!

Oh gods, me too, by far!!!

I was just keeping that to Indy cues.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

biggrin
    I see what you did there.

You do? uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Only for the initiated, I guess (tips: half of the mine car chase was unscored).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    J. Flaherty wrote
    Steven wrote

Me too!

Oh gods, me too, by far!!!
    I was just keeping that to Indy cues.

Ah, quite. I was thrown by Thor throwing in Jedi.
    Hmmmm, for the Indies.... Yeah, I'm with you, although Last Crusade's Escape From Venice is really, really, REALLY good as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Only for the initiated, I guess (tips: half of the mine car chase was unscored).

face-palm-mt

You know, I was thinking 'But for the life of me, I can't remember what that cue sounds like?'

Blame the wine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BIG WEDNESDAY (Basil Poledouris)

At times, this sounds like a huge, epic film and nothing at all like a 70s surfer movie (except in some of the source cues). Weird.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. NP: Alice Through The Looking Glass - Danny Elfman

The original theme for Alice is by far the most memorable part of this second Alice score. I find my attention wavers away from this until I hear some snippet of the main theme, then my attention is fixed again on the music to hear what sort of variations Elfman makes to the theme.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2016
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Alice Through The Looking Glass - Danny Elfman

The original theme for Alice is by far the most memorable part of this second Alice score. I find my attention wavers away from this until I hear some snippet of the main theme, then my attention is fixed again on the music to hear what sort of variations Elfman makes to the theme.

I've willfully steered away from sampling this, as I want to buy the physical disc first. But I thought the first score was spectacular, and most of the comments I've read seem to suggest this is even superior?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2016 edited
    NP: CONAN THE DESTROYER (Basil Poledouris)

Although I've had the first score forever, I only got this a couple of years ago when I was doing my Poledouris episode. It's not as good as the first, but it's by no means 'sloppy seconds'. A little less raw and brutal. This is the original Varese release.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Why is anyone still listening to the original release of Conan the Destroyer when the Tadlow re-recording blows it out of the water in every way, shape and form? dizzy

Oh right, C&C. face-palm-mt

Seriously, Thor, even for you I think the update in sound quality and orchestra performance would be worth the "inferior" presentation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I have no issues with sound quality or performance on the Varese release. It would have to be seriously shoddy in order for me to prefer a C&C.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The Tadlow recording is a revelation of sumptuous greatness. It also includes Conan: A Sword and Sorcery Spectacular. Win win all round.

I still love the original though, warts and all.
  6. Thor wrote
    I have no issues with sound quality or performance on the Varese release.

No tinnitus-aimed offense or anything, but...are you deaf? The orchestra is an absolute shambles on Conan the Destroyer! The pinched sound quality I can forgive it being the early 80s and all, but the incompetent players...nope.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Really? I don't hear it. Seems fine.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Check out the gnarly brass flub at 1:32 of this clip...and it's far from the only mistake like it. I guess it could be seen as "charming" in a low-budget kind of way but music as good as Poledouris' for the Conan universe is worthy of far superior performance.
  8. I always think originals do have their place. It is, after all, the original.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    The Tadlow recording is a revelation of sumptuous greatness. It also includes Conan: A Sword and Sorcery Spectacular. Win win all round.

Yep.
    It's the re-recording that shot this score up in my list from "soundtrack I also own" to "easy top ten" .

I'm with Edmund: the original is nigh-unlistenable for me.