• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: The Film Music of Sir Richard Rodney Bennett

The Chandos album. Listening to this album you wonder why Sir Richard did not become as famous as Williams, Horner or Goldsmith. He is fairly well known in England surely?

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2016
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Film Music of Sir Richard Rodney Bennett

He is fairly well known in England surely?

Not really. A very fine film composer, I'm a big fan of his work for Billion Dollar Brain, Far From The Madding Crowd, Nicholas and Alexandra, Gormenghast and others, he never became a more recognised name like a Williams, Mancini or his compatriots John Barry and Ron Goodwin, I'd guess it's because no one can hum or whistle a Rodney Bennett theme.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2016
    Well, he did do FOUR WEDDINGS AND A FUNERAL, didn't he -- his last major hit (I don't think he did any movies after that, did he?).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2016
    Uncharted 4 Henry Jackman

This has grown on me. 'The Twelve Towers' is a surprisingly jaunty piece. Jackman gets a lot of flak (deservedly), but when the planets occasionally align he's capable of something a little above average - an area he practically defines.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2016 edited
    The Golden Age Of Hollywood Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

This is a new discovery for me. I've been listening to the fourth volume today, and it's... incredible. Classy and emotional; these suites present film music at its most unabashed. I want to avoid saying 'as it should be', given that film music is not a genre. But it's hard not to think it.
  2. NP: A Fistful of Dollars - Ennio Morricone

Not much needs to be said about this one, other than it's a most excellent score. I wonder what it was like to hear it for the first time when the movie originally came out?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: A Fistful of Dollars - Ennio Morricone

Not much needs to be said about this one, other than it's a most excellent score. I wonder what it was like to hear it for the first time when the movie originally came out?

First time I heard it must have been about 74, heard within the film and I was captivated.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

This is a new discovery for me. I've been listening to the fourth volume today, and it's... incredible. Classy and emotional; these suites present film music at its most unabashed. I want to avoid saying 'as it should be', given that film music is not a genre. But it's hard not to think it.

I haven't heard it but just looked up the track list, surely A Passage To India and Chinatown are a bit of a stretch considering the other choices ( Key Largo, Rear Window etc )
  3. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

First time I heard it must have been about 74, heard within the film and I was captivated.

No idea when I first saw this. The first thing I remember about Morricone's music for the trilogy is recording some of the music from the climax to The Good, The Bad and The Ugly off the television with my portable cassette player with the integrated microphone. No idea when that was.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. NP: 5 Fingers - Bernard Herrmann

Very good re-recording of this little Herrmann score. It's a very good score too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I haven't heard it but just looked up the track list, surely A Passage To India and Chinatown are a bit of a stretch considering the other choices ( Key Largo, Rear Window etc )

As per Tom's thread, it depends how you define Golden Age. They certainly don't feel out of place when listening to the album!
  5. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

No idea when I first saw this. The first thing I remember about Morricone's music for the trilogy is recording some of the music from the climax to The Good, The Bad and The Ugly off the television with my portable cassette player with the integrated microphone. No idea when that was.

Oh, yes, those recordings "through the air" started it all. smile
  6. PawelStroinski wrote
    Maybe to some people Giacchino seems to have stopped half-way and not really fully getting into the films and maybe even orchestration. A harsher, yet more restrained approach, may make some (perhaps that's where Thor is coming from!) roll their eyes. But I think it's a viable approach. Using the structure that made the past scores so amazing for everyone, yet giving it enough modern touch (though in terms of the classical tradition rather than, say, electronica or rock/pop/whatever influences that may permeate a lot of the mainstream scores today) to adapt to the modern, more visceral, cinematic aesthetics. That's what I think.

That's certainly an interesting interpretation. You're not wrong there, Sir, but personally, for me it's that "dry" sound of his that truly makes it so hard for me to dig his work.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Steven wrote
    Uncharted 4 Henry Jackman

This has grown on me. 'The Twelve Towers' is a surprisingly jaunty piece. Jackman gets a lot of flak (deservedly), but when the planets occasionally align he's capable of something a little above average - an area he practically defines.

I'm really enjoying this one too Steven. 'The Twelve Towers' is a sensational cue, as is 'Cut to the Chase' amongst others.

Big Bad Wolves - Frank Ilfman

Excellent score with some tense, muscular cues to complement the very durable main theme.
  7. Captain Future wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Oh, yes, those recordings "through the air" started it all. smile

I'll never forget the first time I heard The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly's electric guitar riff. I nearly toppled over in my seat, I was so mesmerized.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: O TEMPO E O VENTO (Alexandre Guerra)

This Brazilian 2013 film looks kinda like a cheap version of LEGENDS OF THE FALL, and composer Guerra seems to follow the same approach as Horner for the latter -- broad, romantic, lovely. I have not seen the film, though, and not heard anything else by this composer.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. The Matrix Reloaded - Don Davis (feat. Juno Reactor and Rob Dougan)

The great thing about this score is that for not just one, but two of its major action setpieces, we get to hear two wildly different but equally entertaining musical approaches: the "Burly Brawl" and the chateau fight. In both instances I slightly prefer Davis' versions (is there any other action cue with brass writing more dense and complex than the unused "Burly Brawl"? If there is, please point it out to me that I might go listen to it posthaste!). But the electronica-infused alternatives are nearly as entertaining. For that reason, this is probably my favorite of the Matrix scores over the more challenging first and more traditional (but still phenomenal!) third.

In short: punk punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's a great score! As a huge fan of Juno Reactor (a completist, even), I'm not going to deny that although I was aware of their work before, these films really made them one of my favourite electronica bands. The incorporation with Davis' dense, aggressive, brass-led music was pure genius!
    I am extremely serious.
  9. I should look into some more Juno Reactor myself. I really enjoy their (his? Ben Watkins'?) contributions to the Matrix scores, although of course Davis' foundation doesn't exactly hurt.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I think stuff like this may be a bit too "hardhitting" for you, Edmund, but hey -- you never know! I absolutely adore it!
    I am extremely serious.
  10. NP: Die Nibelungen (1924/2015) - Gottfried Huppertz

My playlist distilled from the gorgeous 4 CD re-recording. The stile is purely Golden Age, specifically reminiscent of Erich Wolfgang Korngold. Which presents us with the excellent question when the Golden Age actually began. I assume, Tom wouldn't mind to discuss composers from the silent era of films in his dedicated thread?

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  11. Southall wrote
    Krull

Krass!
  12. Thor wrote
    I think stuff like this may be a bit too "hardhitting" for you, Edmund, but hey -- you never know! I absolutely adore it!

I like the track. I don't like the vocals. sad
  13. NP: The Fly - Howard Shore

I was always going to play this one as soon as I could after reading Jon Broxton's review. Excellent stuff.
  14. NP: Anacleto: Agente Secreto - Javier Rodero

Competent spy-styled score for an action/comedy for a Spanish secret agent caper.
  15. Thor wrote
    NP: O TEMPO E O VENTO (Alexandre Guerra)

This Brazilian 2013 film looks kinda like a cheap version of LEGENDS OF THE FALL, and composer Guerra seems to follow the same approach as Horner for the latter -- broad, romantic, lovely. I have not seen the film, though, and not heard anything else by this composer.

I really like that score. The only other thing I've heard from him is BALLET DE AZUL E VENTO. It wasn't quite as good, but I liked it.

I spent today listening to the expanded BRAVEHEART release. There really isn't a whole lot in the previously unreleased material that is of the same caliber as the material on the original release. There is quite a bit of synth in it, too. The huge exception is the wonderful "Romantic Alliance," which is nearly worth the purchase price of the album for me. The sound quality is excellent, too. I'm still, even after 20 years and having heard this countless times, blown away by how thematically rich and gorgeously sweeping this score is.
  16. NP: The Birth of A Nation - Joseph Carl Breil

An interesting mix of Breil's original score, classical pieces & tunes from era.
  17. NP: Der Golem - Karl-Ernst Sasse

A 1990s score for this 1915 silent film. The dark subject matter of the film is reflected in this worthwhile score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2016
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Birth of A Nation - Joseph Carl Breil

An interesting mix of Breil's original score, classical pieces & tunes from era.

Have you seen the film?
    I am extremely serious.