• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2016 edited
    Thor wrote
    NP: MICHAEL KAMEN'S OPUS (Michael Kamen)

I traded this CD for Williams' rare ACCIDENTAL TOURIST back in the early 2000s (which I don't regret), but then re-acquired it digitally lately in preparation of my episode on Kamen. Amazingly, several tracks here are still the only decent recording we have of the respective soundtrack. There hasn't exactly been an on-slaught of Kamen releases after his death 13 years ago.

I'd like to hear more of Edge of Darkness.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2016 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: MICHAEL KAMEN'S OPUS (Michael Kamen)

I traded this CD for Williams' rare ACCIDENTAL TOURIST back in the early 2000s (which I don't regret), but then re-acquired it digitally lately in preparation of my episode on Kamen. Amazingly, several tracks here are still the only decent recording we have of the respective soundtrack. There hasn't exactly been an on-slaught of Kamen releases after his death 13 years ago.

I'd like to hear more of Edge of Darkness.

-Erik-

Me too. I've heard the original "Eric Clapton soundtrack version" (I'm not sure if it's legit or not), and the sound is abysmal. But the performance beats that of Hotei on the OPUS release. I hope someone finds the source material and cleans it up. Great score for what I understand is one of the most influential series in British history (never seen it myself, only Campbell's film version from 2010).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2016
    Btw, let me amend my comments re: MOONBEAM CITY somewhat. It also includes some poor songs (sung by the cast, I think), interspersed with the score tracks, that totally drag the whole thing down. But the entire soundtrack is just 32 minutes to begin with, so if I remove them, there isn't much left. Bummer. And I was a bit quick with the purchase there. But still -- Night Club's music is fantastic.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2016 edited
    NP: THE BEST (AND SECOND BEST) EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL - Thomas Newman

A compilation of the best (and second best) cues from both films.

Lovely, colourful and evocative collection of music that I believe was a truly perfect project for Newman to work on. Gorgeous stuff.
  1. A cue from an upcoming video game score, "No Man's Sky", by a group called 65daysofstatic.

Ahhhhh ... I think the best I can say is Thor will probably like it. If you know what I mean.....
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2016 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    A cue from an upcoming video game score, "No Man's Sky", by a group called 65daysofstatic.

Ahhhhh ... I think the best I can say is Thor will probably like it. If you know what I mean.....

Yeah, I think I read about it over at FSM just now. Sounds intriguing and very weird in terms of conceptualization:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p … ;archive=0

I'm not even sure what to make of it. Could be good, could be pants. Where are you hearing a cue?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2016
    NP: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - Henry Jackman

I like this a lot, although some of the quieter cues - not all, mind you - have a tendency to go nowhere. The real action cues are a treat, though, even if it's something we've heard a thousand times before.

That said, I think it's a real shame Greg Edmonson wasn't given the chance to finish what he started. I really like his scores for the first three games in the series.
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
  2. The question is, there was a huge backlash on Twitter, coming from game composers, I am not sure he wanted to. Amy Hennig, who got him into Uncharted, left the studio. Neil Druckmann on the other hand has had a tendency to hire film composers (Santaolalla was an inspired choice for The Last of Us).

Of the quieter cues I really love all stuff connected to the family theme - For Better and Worse being the most poignant one (in a beautiful moment of gameplay, where the sound effects are laid off and all we have is the score and the dialogue during a pensive jeep ride). The Twelve Towers is probably the most adventurous RCP action cue since Pirates 3.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2016 edited
    PawelStroinski wroteI am not sure he wanted to. Amy Hennig, who got him into Uncharted, left the studio.

So you're thinking that once Hennig was out, Edmonson opted out, too? That could be, of course. Haven't really thought about it that way...

Neil Druckmann on the other hand has had a tendency to hire film composers (Santaolalla was an inspired choice for The Last of Us).

I'm no fan of Santaolalla, but I'd have to agree that his score for The Last of Us hit the mark.

Of the quieter cues I really love all stuff connected to the family theme - For Better and Worse being the most poignant one (in a beautiful moment of gameplay, where the sound effects are laid off and all we have is the score and the dialogue during a pensive jeep ride).

Yes, "For Better or Worse" is definitely one of the highlights among the quieter cues. Loved it in-game, too! It's definitely not all of the quieter cues that tend towards the boring, and I suppose it's also only fair to distinguish between "tending towards boring" and simply "being boring". Actually I think Jackman provides something interesting in almost all cues.

The Twelve Towers is probably the most adventurous RCP action cue since Pirates 3.

Yes, it's excellent and a ton of fun! So are "Cut to the Chase" and "Those Who Prove Worthy" (a lot of Powell in that last one!).
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
  3. How to Train Your Dragon - John Powell

A delight. Such a wealth of themes.
  4. SWAT - Elliot Goldenthal

I wonder if we'll ever hear an action score from Goldenthal again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Not unless it's directed by Julie Taymour.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

Funny because it's true.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2016
    Rambo II - J Goldsmith

Barnstorming.
  5. NP: Dirty Harry - Lalo Schifrin

Scorpio's theme and it's associated music tends to be the highlight of this score - as well as the main titles sequence. And "Dawn Discovery" is such an effective piece.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. NP: 'Voices of Light' - Richard Einhorn

An oratorio based on the 1928 film The Passion of Joan of Arc. It's a beautiful piece of music and if you like Howard Shore's Looking For Richard then I would recommend this. In fact, I would just recommend it to everyone.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2016 edited
    NP: THE MUSIC OF... (John Barry)

I believe this is a 2CD set, but I have a promo version with a selection of tracks totalling 54 minutes! Perfect. Some of the early, early stuff is really cool.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE MUSIC OF... (John Barry)

I believe this is a 2CD set, but I have a promo version with a selection of tracks totalling 54 minutes! Perfect. Some of the early, early stuff is really cool.

cool

At one time the icon I would have chosen would be shocked
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BEN-HUR - Marco Beltrami

First listen.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

First listen.

I have high expectations for this. I hope it's more religious/reverent/majestic in tone and not as 'wall-to-wall' massive as GODS OF EGYPT (which I did not care for).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

First listen.

I have high expectations for this. I hope it's more religious/reverent/majestic in tone and not as 'wall-to-wall' massive as GODS OF EGYPT (which I did not care for).

I suspect you're in for a disappointment.

There is some lovely thematic material here, if I compared it to Miklos Rozsa's towering work it would get 0/10 but that would be unfair on its own terms. I'll definitely be giving it another listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2016 edited
    Listening on Spotify now.

So far, I absolutely LOVE the fact that it's more or less "action-free" (but I'm only on track 6) and instead filled with various ethnic instruments from the time (in a more modern setting), slowmoving meodies etc..

Dreading bombast in the tracks to come, but also hoping for more spirituality.

I also think it's rather meaningless to compare it to the Rozsa, for a myriad different reasons.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Down with action music! Down with forte! Let's sack all the brass and percussion players! soapbox
  8. And everything exceeding 45 minutes.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ah. One can always dream.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Demetris wrote
    n.p. the new new bourne - by Powell and Buckley. Oh it's pretty bad. But how are you sure it's Buckley's fault? i mean it could possibly be, yes. But this also sounds like standard bored powell in quick cash-in mode too.

Largely because even a standard Powell score isn't this bland, and partly because Buckley is given credit on the front cover of the album. That's rather telling.

Powell in his uninspired mode is something like this album here, imo. Not much difference. And Buckley isn't that bad, he has done the gorgeous 'the forbidden kingdom' too.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

First listen.

I suspect you're in for a disappointment.

There is some lovely thematic material here, if I compared it to Miklos Rozsa's towering work it would get 0/10 but that would be unfair on its own terms. I'll definitely be giving it another listen.

Who in their right mind would compare Beltrami with Rozsa? smile But are they doing a remake of BEN HUR ffs? i just found out!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Listening on Spotify now.

So far, I absolutely LOVE the fact that it's more or less "action-free" (but I'm only on track 6) and instead filled with various ethnic instruments from the time (in a more modern setting), slowmoving meodies etc..

Dreading bombast in the tracks to come, but also hoping for more spirituality.

Gladiator-esque perhaps?

I also think it's rather meaningless to compare it to the Rozsa, for a myriad different reasons.

True. I can't even begin writing reasons why not to compare with Rozsa. Completely pointless.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    J. Flaherty wrote
    SWAT - Elliot Goldenthal

I wonder if we'll ever hear an action score from Goldenthal again.

Or for the matter: a score? any score?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs - Morey / Churchill / Harline / Smith

Sometimes random shuffling brings up a title I have but very rarely listen to. Some excellent songs and a very solid orchestral score for this groundbreaking animated feature.

My, that Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is such brazzers material in the fucked up 2016 times we live in anymore biggrin